Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WRC Vision 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hmm, is it just me or does it seem like there is an invisible rule where there can only be 6 teams entered in the WRC?

It just seems that if a team drops out, like Pug and Skoda did at once, it just so happened that Stobart and Muchichcichcichci or whatever they are were there to just step in?

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts

News from the meeting ?

Has any news from the meeting on the 15th been "leaked" ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    At least someone is looking at the future seriously and Morrie is a pretty practical sort of guy. Outcome may not suit everybody, it never does but at least there is a plan so manu's can stick to it. We've had too many changes at the last minute over last few years which screws up everybody's work.
    I'd like to see more manu's involved and if it is closer to road vehicles specs then it has more relevance to them and better translated to the 'Win Sunday, sell more Monday" philiosophy.

Which ever way you look at it this is just a big marketing exercise for the manu's so that's where they wil put their money. Real racing happens down at the amateur level where they do it just for the hell of it and the fun.
    RallyShotz NZ rallyshotz-nz.freehostia.com

Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    What I would like to see change is the Manufacturers 'permission' rule. Correct me if I'm wrong here but for a company like Prodrive to enter Subaru in the WRC the FIA needs the manufacturers consent.
    What I would like to see is some rule that allows anyone to produce WRCars without the permission of the manufactrer. As it stands Prodrive contracts to Subaru and MSport to Ford. Citroen is inhouse of course.
    Why can't I buy a road going Mazda 3 or Alfa 147 and convert it to a WRCar as long as I follow the rules (well maybe not me but someone with a bunch of cash).
    With S2000 it seems anyone can build a car.

If manufacturers want to jump in later and help out, then fantastic. This happened with Hyundai when an Australian rally team started using 'homemade' Hyundai Scoupe in F2 class in the early/mid 90s which lead to Hyundai's invovlment in the WRC.

Another example of this was in the GroupB era. In the US championship John Buffum dominated in an ex-works Quattro. Ex-pat Kiwi Rod Millen was struggling in his 2WD Mazda RX7 to challenge so built a 4WD version and started taking victories off the Audi and won the championship in 1985. Mazda Japan took a lot of notice and were very impressed, and as I believe where going to commission Millen to build more for the WRC, but of course the GroupB era ended before it was taken any further.

In F1 this is how teams like McLaren started. Bruce Mclaren read the rule book and made a race car. Simple.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    Oh please....
    My thoughts exactly Jamie
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maui J.
    What I would like to see change is the Manufacturers 'permission' rule. Correct me if I'm wrong here but for a company like Prodrive to enter Subaru in the WRC the FIA needs the manufacturers consent.
    What I would like to see is some rule that allows anyone to produce WRCars without the permission of the manufactrer. As it stands Prodrive contracts to Subaru and MSport to Ford. Citroen is inhouse of course.
    Why can't I buy a road going Mazda 3 or Alfa 147 and convert it to a WRCar as long as I follow the rules (well maybe not me but someone with a bunch of cash).
    With S2000 it seems anyone can build a car.

If manufacturers want to jump in later and help out, then fantastic. This happened with Hyundai when an Australian rally team started using 'homemade' Hyundai Scoupe in F2 class in the early/mid 90s which lead to Hyundai's invovlment in the WRC.

Another example of this was in the GroupB era. In the US championship John Buffum dominated in an ex-works Quattro. Ex-pat Kiwi Rod Millen was struggling in his 2WD Mazda RX7 to challenge so built a 4WD version and started taking victories off the Audi and won the championship in 1985. Mazda Japan took a lot of notice and were very impressed, and as I believe where going to commission Millen to build more for the WRC, but of course the GroupB era ended before it was taken any further.

In F1 this is how teams like McLaren started. Bruce Mclaren read the rule book and made a race car. Simple.
    Sounds a great idea, but can't see it happening, the FIA want the WRC to be Production based with the blessing of the Manufacturers. But in this current era of few manufacturers, few drivers, very little interest, it would make sense for any Preparation company to enter with a make of car.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???