Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Oliver Solberg

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    Loeb and Ogier are quite different story, they are product of Citroen/Bugalski school...
    And even they had the experience of driving a championship in JWRC or S1600 or whatever it was called at the time. Not to mention a lot of other WRC winners. In fact I believe that only Neuville is a recent example of a fast-tracked driver that achieved any kind of success and even he is not a WDC yet, and lately is looking not so hot.

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Oh and speaking of Bugalski I remember a Loeb interview where he explained he was lucky to be in the Citroen team that had a well developed Xsara and he was anxious when he had to develop the C4. Compare that to Solberg having to cope with the tricky Hyundai WRC and shitty Rally2. In the same year.

I think Petter is growing some good shit in the garden for him and some fans.

3. Likes: cali (18th October 2022),Sulland (18th October 2022)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    And even they had the experience of driving a championship in JWRC or S1600 or whatever it was called at the time. Not to mention a lot of other WRC winners. In fact I believe that only Neuville is a recent example of a fast-tracked driver that achieved any kind of success and even he is not a WDC yet, and lately is looking not so hot.
    Neuville's had a second IRC year (2011) where he lost the fight for championship with alternator failure on last round was in a way an extra year. Certainly much less fast-tracked than Solberg and Fourmaux.

Bringing up Fourmaux is interesting cause I totally agree he is doing even worse than Solberg confirming that this approach doesn't work.

Notable differences:
    - Fourmaux has already been "kicked" for two rounds, even though he is paying
    - MSPort is a business venue that certainly doesn't have manu title (or any title) as main goal. Main goal is to run business, part of which is earning money by bringing up new talents. They risk with unknown young drivers all the time, sometimes it works (Tanak, Evans (long way), sometimes not (Camillo)). Hyundais aims should be quite different.

5. Likes: AnttiL (18th October 2022),cali (18th October 2022),dimviii (17th October 2022),Eli (18th October 2022),pantealex (18th October 2022),RS (18th October 2022),seb_sh (18th October 2022),steve.mandzij (19th October 2022),TWRC (18th October 2022)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    Loeb and Ogier are quite different story, they are product of Citroen/Bugalski school...
    Every ''story'' is different,but the path you have to follow is given by these examples.
    You have to follow what this method did,because its prooven that extracts the best results.

7. Likes: cali (18th October 2022),J4MIE (18th October 2022),PLuto (18th October 2022)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    Funny thing is that like Solberg violently took the seat and somebody way more talented stayed out..

What about Fourmaux? Disastrous season.. but nobody coughs about going back to rally2, 3, 4.
    Solberg 8 vs Fourmaux 9 rallies this season - Solberg 33p vs Fourmaux 9p(Serderidis three rallies and 6p)

1. The thread title here says clearly "Oliver Solberg" not "Adrien Fourmaux".

2. I guess there isn't member here who thinks Fourmaux is Rally1 ready, far from it but this isn't the topic here. Skipping lower classes is and this has been proven in practice. I hope Solbergs will make smart decisions from now on and they have patience to "wait" for a few years and I'm sure the results will come.

Case closed

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

9. Likes: pantealex (18th October 2022),Rallyper (18th October 2022)
    Liked 82 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Every ''story'' is different,but the path you have to follow is given by these examples.
    You have to follow what this method did,because its prooven that extracts the best results.
    I don't know the story in depth, I assume Bugalski had a big role in development of the Xsara. Wasn't it?

11. Likes: cali (18th October 2022)
    Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Amateurs? he should beat those AMATEURS then first when he wants to do good in upper class. he didnt do it on Rally Portugal this year, far from it

i dont get it Per why you are so against him going a step back. Tänak is a perfect example how it worked and his debut season in big class was much better than Olivers this season and its clear to see he isnt ready yet.
    Well, I try to see things from both sides. Nothing is black or white.
    I can see benefits from stepping down. But it´s not a rule written down in stones as most of you keyboardfighters seems to be sure of.
    I don´t deny going to WRC2 is a good thing. But I also see ways for him to go further i RC1 if chances will appear. Maybe it´s a more expensive way of learning, but it is also learning.
    Putting pressure on Oliver saying he doesn´t win after these catastrophical months hopping back and forth in classes is unfair. He shouldn´t win anything in WRC until he got the right circumstances, 12-24 months from now.
    I´m quite patient seeing him as a top contender in a few years no matter he goes to WRC2 or continues in RC1.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

13. Likes: WRCStan (18th October 2022)
    Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Well, I try to see things from both sides. Nothing is black or white.
    I can see benefits from stepping down. But it´s not a rule written down in stones as most of you keyboardfighters seems to be sure of.
    I don´t deny going to WRC2 is a good thing. But I also see ways for him to go further i RC1 if chances will appear. Maybe it´s a more expensive way of learning, but it is also learning.
    Putting pressure on Oliver saying he doesn´t win after these catastrophical months hopping back and forth in classes is unfair. He shouldn´t win anything in WRC until he got the right circumstances, 12-24 months from now.
    I´m quite patient seeing him as a top contender in a few years no matter he goes to WRC2 or continues in RC1.
    Finally you're speaking some sense.

15. Likes: AnttiL (19th October 2022),cali (18th October 2022),EstWRC (18th October 2022),pantealex (19th October 2022),steve.mandzij (19th October 2022)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Essaj View Post
    Finally you're speaking some sense.
    Finally!

Man's been saying the same thing all along.

17. Likes: Rallyper (19th October 2022)
    Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    The main reason solberg should not be in a wrc1 car without paying for it (aka Msport), is because he hasn't proven he has the talent to be in one.
    Just because his name is solberg and he's been driving since he was a child has no meaning at all. Matthew wilson did all that, yet he never turned out to be talented.

Let him drive wrc2 so he can show he's able to beat mikkelsen and all the other amateurs, and then perhaps we can talk about why we would want to see him in a wrc1 car. But at this moment, when i look at the list of his results, there is nothing that makes me think this guy should be a in wrc1 car.

19. Likes: AMSS (19th October 2022),AnttiL (19th October 2022),Corcaíoch (19th October 2022),dimviii (19th October 2022),Eli (19th October 2022),EstWRC (19th October 2022),Hartusvuori (19th October 2022),TWRC (20th October 2022)