I'm no moderator but having just read the BBC Sports Personality thread I felt like adding these comments.

I may not post in this area much but I do read it.

To be honest, it is very civilised in here but I find it tiresome that some threads seem to be littered with some members jumping on another's back and adding the odd insulting remark.

I don't want to appear as if I'm trying to be above everyone else and likewise, I think the moderators do a great job. I don't envy them at all as I wouldn't want to do it :

I'd just like to be able to read through a thread and not have it interrupted by comments such as "You're pretty clueless" followed by an obligatory come-back response.

If someone isn't seeing your opinion then that is life. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you've given yours then allow others to do the same. Likewise if someone seems a bit ill-informed, or hasn't got their facts straight, then I don't see how insulting them is going to help. Provide the real facts, by all means, but please be polite about it!

After all, what hope is there for world peace if some people can't even discuss touring cars without insulting one another :

If you feel that someone is attacking you personally then simply click the button to report the post. You don't need to respond back or defend yourself on the forum. Personal attacks are against the rules and will be dealt with accordinly when reported.

In fact, I say "don't need" when I really mean "shouldn't". There is nothing you can post in relation to "you're clueless", and suchlike, which will make the situation better. Just report it then leave it!

It shows good character if you can turn the other cheek and "ignore" insulting remarks by resisting the fight-back.

Of course, if someone posts to correct you and they are actually in the wrong then I don't doubt you'll want to point that out. By all means, but be polite! No insults!

Lastly, the subject of self-pity. Maybe I'm the only one who finds this annoying when it appears within threads. I don't want to read about how everyone hates you! It's a forum. People have different opinions. Accept it. As I'm sure they (or most) don't hate you. Move on to the next post, thread, whatever..