Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Night stages

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turves
    Thinking back to Hafren/Sweetlamb where the atmosphere was fantastic.
    Have to agree. Hafren was fantastic. A night stage can be really exciting, the atmosphere can seem electric.
    Flonkkkk.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Yes! More night stages!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Same as Pino, though it is the sound of a BDA working through a stage with the sound echoing off the trees. Bring it on.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If that doesn't get your heart pumping go to the F1 forum....

I love night stages as a spectator and a photographer. As for them not being good on TV, thats only because the TV guys cop out and don't take the time and money to make it work. I can't remember when or where but I saw from heli footage of a rally car on stage at night. It got me so jacked and excited and just in awe..... Night stages can be incredible. The challenge, the lights, the sounds, the smells. The darkness highlights an entire different set of sensory experiences that you can't enjoy durring the day in the same manner. I'm not for all night time rallies (not against them either, but I don't think it would be good for the WRC), but I certainly do support some night stages on most if not all events!
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L5->R5/CR

If that doesn't get your heart pumping go to the F1 forum....

I love night stages as a spectator and a photographer. As for them not being good on TV, thats only because the TV guys cop out and don't take the time and money to make it work. I can't remember when or where but I saw from heli footage of a rally car on stage at night. It got me so jacked and excited and just in awe..... Night stages can be incredible. The challenge, the lights, the sounds, the smells. The darkness highlights an entire different set of sensory experiences that you can't enjoy durring the day in the same manner. I'm not for all night time rallies (not against them either, but I don't think it would be good for the WRC), but I certainly do support some night stages on most if not all events!

great post, great photo(what car was that;-) ) tbh I think the only people against some night stages in WRC events just havent had the fortune to have experienced them, totally different experience to daylight stages, bring them back please
    Deep down I'm a sound bloke!

Liked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCfan
    I have heard of people talking about being out in the woods at night to see Mikkola and Vatanen come through, the sound, the atmosphere, and smell and showering of gravel made for a wonderful experience, i have seen some night stages as well before they elminated them fully, was a great experience!!!

Real rally drivers should be able to drive in the dark as well as the daylight. Adds another dimension to what can be a win and a loss...
    I saw(heard) Mikkolas Audi (his lights) In Thousand Lakes Rally back in 1983.
    Me & my father walked 5 kilometers to the woods, watched the cars go by, then walked back to our car and noticed that the place we left was the best place to see something. Can't remember anything about the sounds exept that it was very loud.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cut the b.s.
    great post, great photo(what car was that;-) ) tbh I think the only people against some night stages in WRC events just havent had the fortune to have experienced them, totally different experience to daylight stages, bring them back please

The shot isn't mine. It was by a colleague of mine though.

It was of a US spec Hyundai Tiburon 4wd. Esentially a Hyundai Tiburon shell with Evolution mechanicals.

There are a couple other gems of night shots on one of our local US forums.
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

MJW
    I think that night stages certainly bring something special to a rally - I have many a happy memory of night stages - it doesn't look good on tv but for a real experience it is great. I do definately detect a sense that the true rally fans have had more than enough of the clover leaf, single service par, daytime sprints. It must be time to revert to real rallying.

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    - I have many a happy memory of night stages -
    Me too
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 252 Times in 68 Posts
    Night stages are great, sorts out who the real drivers are and who has the best notes.

Bring on some WRC night stages and long ones too over 30km

We do half our rallying at night here in Australia at State and club level.

Ray
    2007 Australian Rally Champion Driver Class P3
    2011 Australian Rally Champion Codriver Privateers Cup and Premier League,
    2014 Australian Targa Champion Codriver Late Classic