Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    So far summary:

Some of you guys want it spectacular the way it is today, regardless of what may come out of it in the future; less factory teams, less seats etz. etz.

One other "group" wants rules making it easier for privateers to build a WRC cars; like in the Gr 1-4 and Gr A/N era.

My own reflection says whatever the cars they will use, they have to be spectacular. But nothing says they can´t be less expensive at the same time. Looking like monsters and banging like rifles is enough to make it a show on the stages for average Joe, and even in a market sense.

As long as we have teams (private and professional) affording to compete, not ruled out bcs of hundred of pages homologation and high costs the sport of rallying will survive.

I´m afraid that isn´t the way we are going at the moment. (my own thoughts)
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

2. Likes: sonnybobiche (3rd December 2018)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    For manufactures, it`s only about new technology, money and sales are also important, but not everything many cases, hence VAG pulling out (add dieselgate ofc), Peugeot seizing their activities pretty much everywhere and the list goes on and on. Then we have manus involved somewhere else, F1, Nascar and WEC for example...and manus living in the 90s, whose strategy is selling reliable and simple cars, not comfort, innovation, economy etc. Asian manufactures compared to EU ones are a perfect example. New techonologies and dying internal combustion engines (with no turbo or hybrid tech., that is) will inevitabely lead to cancellation of many series.

Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    I have a pretty libertarian outlook on things, so I think the more freedom teams have, the better. An economist would point out that it is literally impossible to lower the cost of being competitive by imposing outside restrictions on development. Arbitrary restrictions don't lower costs; they raise them, everywhere and always. (Ask me to expound on this, I dare you!)

5. Likes: NickRally (4th December 2018)
    Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Some of you guys want it spectacular the way it is today, regardless of what may come out of it in the future; less factory teams, less seats etz. etz.
    You suppose certain causality as a fact but it's not. Expensive cars don't bring less teams just like cheap cars don't guarantee more teams. It's more complex.

The manufacturers must stay in. Without them the championship is as good as dead. So from my point of view the first and foremost question should be: Why are the manufacturers involved? And the answer is: Because it's worth it.

It's really that simple. The more the championship offers to them the more they can spend. If there is no public interest even a one car team with R1 is a waste of money. If millions of people follow the events it's money well spent even with hugely expensive cars, many events in the calendar and crazy palaces built in the service park. because it's worth it.

It's all about finding the balance. To be worth it.

Of course the privateers are fucked in this case but that's how it is. Let's be real. They are just a filler in the WRC anyway because realistically they have very little chance to achieve anything. Therefore in my opinion it's wrong to build championship existing thanks to the manufacturers according to the needs of privateers. Nothing good can come out of it because the manufacturers will always be able to spend how much is worth it - and that can always be much more than any privateer. The WRC2 is good place for privateers in my opinion. The cars are affordable but still fun to drive, the calendar reduced and the competition very good.
    Last edited by Mirek; 3rd December 2018 at 15:23.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

7. Likes: AnttiL (5th December 2018),EstWRC (3rd December 2018),marcusmx (3rd December 2018),NickRally (4th December 2018),pantealex (3rd December 2018),Rally Power (4th December 2018),sonnybobiche (3rd December 2018),the sniper (3rd December 2018),tommeke_B (3rd December 2018),TWRC (3rd December 2018)
    WRC2 is also going pro, isnt´t it? What will the outcome be?

Competition is a very big factor. Without competition and 55 rallies a year no one will care.

However the balance needs to be found. Agree to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    WRC2 is also going pro, isnt´t it? What will the outcome be?
    No, exactly opposite. WRC2 moves to fully privateer series only.

WRC2 Pro is a new addition intended to remove the works teams from the privateer competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    No, exactly opposite. WRC2 moves to fully privateer series only.

WRC2 Pro is a new addition intended to remove the works teams from the privateer competition.
    So two WRC2 classes then? Ridiculous I would say...

11. Likes: pantealex (5th December 2018)
    Liked 265 Times in 164 Posts
    If there will be plenty of works teams in Pro class then OK, let it be. But if only Skoda show up (again), then we all know that this will only last one season like Trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    If there will be plenty of works teams in Pro class then OK, let it be. But if only Skoda show up (again), then we all know that this will only last one season like Trophy.
    There were five works WRC2 teams this year (Škoda 1, Škoda 2, M-Sport, Citroën and Hyundai). Aside of Škoda 2 I don't see why the others shall disappear.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    There were five works WRC2 teams this year (Škoda 1, Škoda 2, M-Sport, Citroën and Hyundai). Aside of Škoda 2 I don't see why the others shall disappear.
    Money problems ?

They don´t have money for 3rd WRC, have they got budget for 2 car WRC2 PRO entry?
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

15. Likes: Rallyper (5th December 2018)