Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: German GP 2018

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
    Senna in the 1988 Monaco GP had one of his more famous crashes after leading for the whole race and whilst under no pressure whatsoever (apart from himself). It was sort of his home GP, as he lived there and reportedly disappeared back to his apartment after the incident.

2. Likes: Duncan (25th July 2018)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I'm not sure about the home GP, but more than a couple have crashed out of the lead. And don't forget, I think it was Mansell, who lost a race on the last lap because he thought he had it in the bag and slowed down to wave at the crowd. Got passed just before the flag.
    I am pretty sure he is the only driver to so it while in the lead in his home race. I can’t find any other time it has happened. Has happened loads of times while in the lead of the race.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greencroft View Post
    Senna in the 1988 Monaco GP had one of his more famous crashes after leading for the whole race and whilst under no pressure whatsoever (apart from himself). It was sort of his home GP, as he lived there and reportedly disappeared back to his apartment after the incident.
    Nah, Brazil was his home race. Just like Silverstone is Hamilton’s even though he lives in Monaco.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Seb's crash made me think of this blunderbuss.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0YuRX1770
    lol
    "The wall absorbs the impact but will not absolve the shame...."
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    I guess this is Hamilton's championship to lose. Vettel goofed and he knew it. Only a retirement and a Vettel win will put him back in contention.
    I also really like Kimi's consistency on the podium. While I wish he would win a race again I think he knows he is the #2 on the team.
    I think it is still too early to call. Ferrari has the measure of Mercedes at the moment. Ferrari have the fastest car at the moment, so Vettel can recover. I think it is Vettel's to lose and Hamilton is simply taking advantage of any weakness shown by Ferrari and Vettel. The Mercedes seem to be slower than the Ferrari on the straights.

That said, the Mercedes strategy at this race was spot on. Shame it did not work out for Bottas.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 26th July 2018 at 20:51.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

7. Likes: Duncan (26th July 2018)
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I think it is still too early to call. Ferrari has the measure of Mercedes at the moment. Ferrari have the fastest car at the moment, so Vettel can recover. I think it is Vettel's to lose and Hamilton is simply taking advantage of any weakness shown by Ferrari and Vettel. The Mercedes seem to be slower than the Ferrari on the straights.

That said, the Mercedes strategy at this race was spot on. Shame it did not work out for Bottas.
    Yeah, the Ferrari definitely looks to be faster at this point. Aside from Seb's brainfade and the bungled stop for Bottas, Hamilton made the race his by somehow looking after a set of tyres for an absurdly long stint, whilst carving through most of the field. Great performance from him under pressure.

But yes, I concur that it's way too early to call. Despite the points deficit, I think Seb is in the better position.

Exciting times! We actually don't yet know who's going to win!

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    lol
    "The wall absorbs the impact but will not absolve the shame...."
    May the forza be with you