Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: German GP 2018

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Wow... he keeps his victory! Rules are rules and I'm not seeing much consistency in the stewards decisions but I suppose he does still deserve the win... would have been very harsh to take it away from him after such a great drive.

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Wow... he keeps his victory! Rules are rules and I'm not seeing much consistency in the stewards decisions but I suppose he does still deserve the win... would have been very harsh to take it away from him after such a great drive.
    Yeah, great drive by the McBoss!
    Plus we didn't have to listen to seb spouting "grazie mille"
    Last edited by Tazio; 22nd July 2018 at 22:05.
    May the forza be with you

3. Likes: truefan72 (24th July 2018)
    Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Personally I think in the interest of consistency that certain rules should have automatic penalties, but they should also be applied immediately. As example crossing the pit line might be 5 seconds if done with no cars in the vicinity such as today, but a larger penalty if cars are within X seconds. Not having the consistency is what brings the decisions into question on a regular basis.

I'd hate to see any driver miss out on a win after a drive like Lewis had today, but those are the types of rules that allow people to try to degrade his drive and claim bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Yeah, great drive by the McBoss!
    Plus we didn't have to listen to seb spouting "grazie mille"
    Seb's cool down laps just irritate the crap out of me. Between the Italian and the "ring-ding-ding" sounds he just comes off as weird to me. To top it off, it just doesn't come across as sincere and real either.

The Boss has shown in the last couple of races why he commands that seat. He's really had some great come from the back of the pack drives.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Great race!

I think the stewards had no real option to award Lewis any actual time penalty, having not announced there was an investigation until after the race finished. Given that Lewis was just under 5 seconds in the lead, and could have made the gap beyond 5 seconds had he known that a penalty was likely, would have made it very harsh to take the win away after the fact.

Shame for Seb; looks like he just got caught by the variable grip level around the track.

6. Likes: truefan72 (23rd July 2018)
    Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    I guess this is Hamilton's championship to lose. Vettel goofed and he knew it. Only a retirement and a Vettel win will put him back in contention.
    I also really like Kimi's consistency on the podium. While I wish he would win a race again I think he knows he is the #2 on the team.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    The main takeaways from the German GP are these:

First, as we have observed many times, Vettel has a tendency to make more mistakes than Hamilton. My subjective belief before the season was that Hamilton had about 60% probability of winning this season's title, and this belief still remains the same.

Second, the team orders confirmed once again the number-two status of Bottas and Raikkonen within the respective teams. These guys are fast enough and they are good team players. So let's drop these speculations that supposedly the likes of Ricciardo will be able to move into either Ferrari or Mercedes.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    The main takeaways from the German GP are these:

First, as we have observed many times, Vettel has a tendency to make more mistakes than Hamilton. My subjective belief before the season was that Hamilton had about 60% probability of winning this season's title, and this belief still remains the same.

Second, the team orders confirmed once again the number-two status of Bottas and Raikkonen within the respective teams. These guys are fast enough and they are good team players. So let's drop these speculations that supposedly the likes of Ricciardo will be able to move into either Ferrari or Mercedes.
    I agree. Unless Kimi chooses to retire at the end of the season, I expect Ricciardo to be back to be back with Red Bull.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Seb's crash made me think of this blunderbuss.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0YuRX1770
    May the forza be with you

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I have a question for the folk here, is Vettel the first driver to ever crash out from the lead of a race in his home Grand Prix due to driver error?

I can't think of anyone else that did that at their home Grand Prix before.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I have a question for the folk here, is Vettel the first driver to ever crash out from the lead of a race in his home Grand Prix due to driver error?

I can't think of anyone else that did that at their home Grand Prix before.
    I'm not sure about the home GP, but more than a couple have crashed out of the lead. And don't forget, I think it was Mansell, who lost a race on the last lap because he thought he had it in the bag and slowed down to wave at the crowd. Got passed just before the flag.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover