Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    That useless Finn cost Hamilton the win today at turn 3. As I mentioned before, 5-10 seconds is not enough, especially when the other deivers race is ruined. You can’t be allowed to simply carry on with a mere 10 second penalty. A mandatory 10 second stop go would have been the only punishment reasonable.

Great finish to the race though. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    This is racing buddy and Kimi was really pumped for this race. With cold tyres and brakes at the start, collision is highly likely if you end up in the pack. The race was in jeopardy for Lewis when he got a bad start.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 8th July 2018 at 17:22.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Mia 01 (9th July 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    If Bottas had changed tyres at the same time as Vettel, he still would have been behind the German on track and with the Ferrari appearing to be the faster car on race day, I doubt the Finn would have been able to overtake Seb.
    Maybe! At least Mercedes would have had two cars on the podium if they had changed Bottas' tyre.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Maybe, maybe not - Hamilton was in P3 at that time, having had a terrible start. I'm not sure he would have been able to pass Vettel on track today and with Mercedes' recent form in strategic matters, I doubt he would have passed the Ferrari in the pits.
    Considering Lewis pace throughout the race I’d say there’s a good chance Lewis woild have been able to overtake Vettel. This is the second time in 3 races a Ferrari has ruined a Mercedes race. First lap incidents or not, if it continues then Ferrari should be given harsher penalties, even starting the next race from the back. You can’t keep ruining your opponents race and not have any consequences.

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Considering Lewis pace throughout the race I’d say there’s a good chance Lewis woild have been able to overtake Vettel.
    Vettel's fastest lap was 1:30,696, Lewis' more than half a second slower at 1:31,245. Kimi did at 1:30,795, Bottas 1:31,377. I would say on race pace, the Ferraris were simply quicker than the Mercedes today.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Vettel's fastest lap was 1:30,696, Lewis' more than half a second slower at 1:31,245. Kimi did at 1:30,795, Bottas 1:31,377. I would say on race pace, the Ferraris were simply quicker than the Mercedes today.
    I havent looked at what laps they set them on but Id guess it was nearer the end when the cars were at their lightest/fastest and their was a huge tyre discrepancy between them?

Where is a good source for that info?

If Ferrari were faster I suspect it was much, much tighter than that.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Those laps were all set on different fuel loads and tires at different points in the race.

For example, before the safety car, Lewis was over 1.2 seconds quicker than anyone else. Being on fresher tires had something to do with that but it doesn’t explain 1.2 seconds. He was quicker.

Seb set his time at the end of the race on a new set of SS’s. Mercedes had far less tire wear today as well. At that point Mercedes had the slower compound after being two reheating cycles. If Vettel hadn’t set a fastest lap of that time he would be pretty useless, like Kimi. Mercedes had the better pace today in Hamilton’s car, no doubt.

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Overall a really good race for Silverstone.

Hamilton was on his heels at the start, and personally I think the penalty on Kimi was more than adequate. Lewis knew he was there and counted on him backing out earlier. Shame for Lewis because had he given up that spot by leaving Kimi more room, he probably would have gotten it back on track regardless. Even Direstata commented the he thought Lewis didn't leave enough room.

Barring that incident, regardless of which way people see it, some very good racing by all the top finishers. The charge Lewis made back through the pack was impressive and clean, even though he seemed sure the car had issues. Kimi and the RB cars stayed clean and left us guessing if the moves could be made. After the safety cars just brilliant defending by Bottas as well as relentless attack mode by Seb. I really though Bottas had the better of him until Seb somehow got that late inside move. In hindsight still hard IMO to say whether Merc should have pitted either car... actually in this case I'm more inclined to think they got it right. The Ferrari's had real pace, and the tire stop would have probably sealed the race results.

Shame for both Max and Leclerc. I think Leclerc was up to 7th or 8th at one point near the start. Max had a clean race and his scrap with Ricciardo near the end probably had some more potential had the car stayed working properly.

Those laps were all set on different fuel loads and tires at different points in the race.
    The lap times I quoted were all set within nine laps (between laps 43 and 52), with Lewis' and Kimi's fastest laps occuring on successive laps (51/52), so the effect of fuel loads is negligible. If anything, Vettel's time was set on a higher fuel load. Even when Lewis was in free air after he had passed Sainz and was catching Ricciardo, he wasn't faster than Vettel up front.

The lap times I quoted were all set within nine laps (between laps 43 and 52), with Lewis' and Kimi's fastest laps occuring on successive laps (51/52), so the effect of fuel loads is negligible. If anything, Vettel's time was set on a higher fuel load. Even when Lewis was in free air after he had passed Sainz and was catching Ricciardo, he wasn't faster than Vettel up front.
    No Vettel’s laptime was set just after he passed Bottas around lap 47. At that stage Hamilton’s tires were over 20 laps old. There was no chance of Hamilton matching Vettel’s
    pace at that time.

And he was faster than Vettel up front when catching Ricciardo, he was much quicker than Vettel at that point in the race, by over a second most of the time, which is why the gap reduced by over 5 seconds. He was 26.7 seconds behind Vettel at one point on lap 14 and was 20 seconds behind him just before Vettel stopped on lap 21.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 8th July 2018 at 20:17.

And he was faster than Vettel up front when catching Ricciardo, he was much quicker than Vettel at that point in the race, by over a second most of the time, which is why the gap reduced by over 5 seconds. He was 26.7 seconds behind Vettel at one point on lap 14 and was 20 seconds behind him just before Vettel stopped on lap 21.
    If the gap had been only 20 seconds before Vettel's stop, wouldn't Lewis have been ahead of him until his own stop on lap 25, given that you lose a minimum of 25 seconds in the pits at Silverstone?