Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

LeClerc to Ferrari?

Strong unofficial rumours so far but let's face it... it does seem a hundred times more likely to happen than Danny or Lewis or indeed anyone, else heading that way and I just can't see Kimi getting a new contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44660670

Would be fantastic to see Charles with a drive a top 3 team, he really deserves it due to his stellar performances... he really has stood out.
    I do worry that he will have to play second fiddle to Vettel probably until Vet leaves. I'd rather see Charles in a team that allowed equal opportunities. Hopefully he will prove very quickly that he should be the main man there.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Daniel Ricciardo has out priced gumself. He was looking for £33 million per annum. Stupid money for a guy that has only won 7 races to be seeking. He has only himself to blame for losing his potential Ferrari seat to LeClerc.

I’d be delighted to see Ferrari knab Charles. He’s quite an obvious talent. Kimi’s days are over and is long past it. Ultimately everything will start rolling for next year once Lewis signs his new contract at Mercedes in the next week or two.

I’d suspect Kimi has ran out of good grace at Ferrari and is finally on his way out of F1. He isn’t ever going to be able to match Vettel on a regular basis. What you really want is someone that can beat him. LeClerc definitely won’t be any worse than Kimi. It makes sense to go with LeClerc.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I have to say l am impressed with Le Clerc. But the gap between him and Ericsson makes me wonder if that is because he is getting more love from Ferrari than Ericsson is getting from the Ferrari engine. Ericsson is not top team material but he is good enough to be closer to Le Clerc given the parity. Which would suggest that he is heading to the seat next to Vettel. Clearly, Vettel is impressed with the guy and would prefer him in the Ferrari rather than Ricciado.
    But l don't think the Ricciado market is closed yet.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    It would be an interesting move, but I just don't have complete faith that Ferrari is willing to roll those dice yet. With the new leadership at Ferrari, maybe they will take that chance. They seem to have somewhat changed in the way they run the F1 team, and for the better.

I still think it would be a gamble, as even someone with a record for out driving the car is suddenly in a new position when the car is that much better. It could result in the next Mad Max, with a learning curve full of mistakes when suddenly near the front of the pack. This is a situation where the maturity of someone like Ricciardo might well pay off, even if he wasn't quite as quick in the car. But considering the RB Daniel has been driving, he's still pulling his weight quite well IMO, so it would be foolish for Ferrari to not consider him. And with the RB switch to Honda engines, I have a feeling that Ricciardo's asking price might well be very negotiable.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    ...This is a situation where the maturity of someone like Ricciardo might well pay off, even if he wasn't quite as quick in the car. But considering the RB Daniel has been driving, he's still pulling his weight quite well IMO, so it would be foolish for Ferrari to not consider him. And with the RB switch to Honda engines, I have a feeling that Ricciardo's asking price might well be very negotiable.

I would love to see Ricciardo at Ferrari, In my mind he is better than Vettel. However unless Seb was to leave, I doubt this could happen because...

Seb may well have something in his contract that gives him a say in who is team mate is.. he isn't going to give the green light to that one is he?

Ferrari don't have much of a track record in having two number one drivers in their team in recent years.. and I can't see Danny leaving RB to be a No2 at Maranello.

On the other hand, LeClerc would accept being number 2 and if he lives up to the promise he has shown, he may well become their No1 when Seb leaves.

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
    I would have thought a season at Haas for Leclerc would be a better outcome. He can then be properly judged in a more competitive car without the risk that putting him into the main Ferrari team so early in his career would entail and avoid the "growing pains" that RB have encountered with Max.

Although it would be against the grain to get DR to Ferrari, I would love to see a rerun of his match up against Vettel that we had at RB. I also feel that it would do Ferrari a huge favour to have 2 genuine reliable and experienced race contenders to counter the Mercedes pairing. Much as I have been a Kimi fan for a long time, he is not really playing his part these days (yesterday's 2nd being an exception), making too many mistakes and not being sufficiently close to the sharp end to offer Ferrari strategic options to beat Mercedes.

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I would love to see Ricciardo at Ferrari, In my mind he is better than Vettel. However unless Seb was to leave, I doubt this could happen because...

Seb may well have something in his contract that gives him a say in who is team mate is.. he isn't going to give the green light to that one is he?

Ferrari don't have much of a track record in having two number one drivers in their team in recent years.. and I can't see Danny leaving RB to be a No2 at Maranello.

On the other hand, LeClerc would accept being number 2 and if he lives up to the promise he has shown, he may well become their No1 when Seb leaves.
    Only time will tell. Though Ferrari have a history of having a team number 1, maybe one of these days they will end that trend that IMO only robs them of constructors points.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I think Ferrari may choose to play the long game with Le Clerc. They may choose to put him in the car to build him up for the new era starting in 2020. He can gain experience under the mentorship of Vettel. But by 2020, they would have a competent driver with solid experience of the car going into the new era. If Verstapenn can do it, l see no reason why Le Clec cannot do the same. This is the reason l doubt Danny Ric would ever wear Ferrari red this time round. But you never really know!

As far as Mercedes is concerned, Bottas has made that seat his own with great performances this year. I think he is staying where he is, which is a shame in a way. A Ricciado move would have shaken things up abit. And a pairing of Ricciado against Vettel or Hamilton would have made for a mouth watering season.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 7th July 2018 at 12:09.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Only time will tell. Though Ferrari have a history of having a team number 1, maybe one of these days they will end that trend that IMO only robs them of constructors points.
    Agreed.
    Yes, Ive often wondered why they seem to place more value on their No1 driver winning the WDC... than them winning the WCC.
    I dont understand that logic/approach, seems counter intuitive but I guess there must be a reason.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    And that driver is Leclerc, who I think Vettel is as scared to have as a co-driver as Danny boy!
    May the forza be with you