Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 French GP

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Only 5 seconds for ruining a competitors race. Smh
    Bottas better have a real issue otherwhise it is embarrassing that vettel has sliced through the field and he is struggling to get past the midfield
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Floor damage confirmed!
    May the forza be with you

3. Likes: truefan72 (25th June 2018)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Only 5 seconds for ruining a competitors race. Smh
    Bottas better have a real issue otherwhise it is embarrassing that vettel has sliced through the field and he is struggling to get past the midfield
    It’s a crazy leniant penalty. Ruins Bottas race and ends up ahead of him after the pit, then a piss poor penalty. It should have been a forced ten second stop go penalty so he lost over 30 seconds but, as usual, Ferrari gets the leniant call.

5. Likes: Jag_Warrior (26th June 2018),truefan72 (25th June 2018)
    Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    I think Sebastian got the penalty he deserved , but only just .
    He had his race ruined as well , in what I would call more of a "racing incident" than what you guys are seeing .

Bottas was on the outside , coming across the nose of the red car into the corner . His line was simply too tight for Vettel to handle .
    Had he not been tagged from behind by the charging Seb , it would have been a sweet move , sliding into and out of the arms of danger , a move showing why we watch this sport .

But , alas , a hair too tight left him at the back with a hard battle against a broken floor .
    He knew where Vettel was .
    He also knew how much air these cars move and how much that effect has on those in close proximity , even at those slow speeds .

I'm not saying it was all Bottas's fault by any means , because he wasn't the one who locked up and slid into a competitor .
    But , I do see him as playing his role in it .

So , 5 seconds was enough .

7. Likes: airshifter (29th June 2018),gm99 (25th June 2018),N4D13 (25th June 2018)
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with the fact that Verstappen finishes on the podium, mostly due to having gained an advantage by cutting across the run off area during the first lap chaos? I know that he was taking avoiding action, but he still benefitted.

Seems to me that this entire GP was a track-limit free for all
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

9. Likes: truefan72 (25th June 2018)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I think Sebastian got the penalty he deserved , but only just .
    He had his race ruined as well , in what I would call more of a "racing incident" than what you guys are seeing .

Bottas was on the outside , coming across the nose of the red car into the corner . His line was simply too tight for Vettel to handle .
    Had he not been tagged from behind by the charging Seb , it would have been a sweet move , sliding into and out of the arms of danger , a move showing why we watch this sport .

But , alas , a hair too tight left him at the back with a hard battle against a broken floor .
    He knew where Vettel was .
    He also knew how much air these cars move and how much that effect has on those in close proximity , even at those slow speeds .

I'm not saying it was all Bottas's fault by any means , because he wasn't the one who locked up and slid into a competitor .
    But , I do see him as playing his role in it .

So , 5 seconds was enough .
    You make a good argument, but I disagree. Bottas left room, not much, but still room and Seb made the error and hit him. It shouldn't have been a huge penalty given it was the first lap, but still more than was given.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    It’s a crazy leniant penalty. Ruins Bottas race and ends up ahead of him after the pit, then a piss poor penalty. It should have been a forced ten second stop go penalty so he lost over 30 seconds but, as usual, Ferrari gets the leniant call.
    As did Verstappen in China when he hit Vettel - he got a time penalty but still ended up ahead of Vettel. As usual, Red Bull got the lenient call
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    You make a good argument, but I disagree. Bottas left room, not much, but still room and Seb made the error and hit him. It shouldn't have been a huge penalty given it was the first lap, but still more than was given.
    I totally agree that he left room , but just not quite enough , and thus , was hit .
    A little more room and Seb may not have locked up .

He would have had him soundly beaten into the next corner even if Vettel had managed to get through without hitting him , being he was on the inside for the next turn .

Everybody was a bit rabid about making up as many positions as they could in the first lap , as predictions were that it would be very processional around this track .
    It wasn't one of Seb's best moves , but it was far from the worst .
    He braked a hair too late , but wasn't the only one dancing that tango .

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with the fact that Verstappen finishes on the podium, mostly due to having gained an advantage by cutting across the run off area during the first lap chaos? I know that he was taking avoiding action, but he still benefitted.

Seems to me that this entire GP was a track-limit free for all
    At first view I thought maybe he got an advantage, but in post race they showed how much he lifted and the time delta change. I'm sure they looked at all the telemetry as well.

Really when you have a mess like that at race start, it's hard to even account for all that happens. Several others got pushed away from the racing line on the inside and probably lost more time, but those on the outside really had little choice but to either bail off the track or risk damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I totally agree that he left room , but just not quite enough , and thus , was hit .
    A little more room and Seb may not have locked up .

He would have had him soundly beaten into the next corner even if Vettel had managed to get through without hitting him , being he was on the inside for the next turn .

Everybody was a bit rabid about making up as many positions as they could in the first lap , as predictions were that it would be very processional around this track .
    It wasn't one of Seb's best moves , but it was far from the worst .
    He braked a hair too late , but wasn't the only one dancing that tango .
    Agreed. The stewards can confirm telemetry, which for the most part sorts out whether it was just a racing incident or a complete banzai move without regard to others. I'm not sure he would have made the turn even if Bottas backed out, but it was far from reckless. As for the penalty, just IMO. If the same incident happened without floor damage to the Merc, people would be saying that the penalty was too harsh.

Not a bad race for returning to France. I think the track has some potential for future years.