Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I loved the Monaco GP for a couple of decades, but I think F1 needs to leave it behind. It was always a challenge and you saw mistakes and crazy races. Now it seems very easy to drive around here for the top drivers and teams don't want to risk racing really up front. So it leads to boring races.

Its been a bit tense because of how close everyone is but actually they have been cruising holding what they have.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Well, it's pretty telling that after 77 laps we're only at 9 posts - 10 counting this. But that's hardly a surprise. Take away the retirements, accidents and safety cars from Monaco and you just get an extremely dull procession. (Yeah, we got a retirement and an accident without effective consequences other than a DNF for those involved, but still).

I also covered myself in glory with my prediction for Verstappen. But I'm actually glad that he's driving a very sensible race for a change!
    You are right. Monaco used to be that crazy race where accidents and retirements made the drama and crazy incidents. With a few exceptions Monaco has never been a great race in terms of racing, but the other aspects made it fun. I mean 81 or 82 when the lead changed 5 odd times in the last laps. That was crazy but never happens now.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    There are two conclusions that can be had here, based on the fact that no one posted about qualifying or the race until this morning. One is that Monaco, as a race, is a write off for most fans. The second is that interest in racing in general, see the lack of ANY recent posts in the other racing forums here, is pretty much gone everywhere. The only real activity this board gets anymore are on the rally forums. A third possibility is that one and two both apply. Sad.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Congratulations to Ricciado a well deserved win. Hamilton managed to keep the damage to his championship points to the minimum. Vettel edging closer. Kimi and Bottass slipping backwards as Danny leaps to third in the championship. Canada is going to be a different matter, Mercedes and Ferrari shall resume their superiority
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

5. Likes: truefan72 (27th May 2018),zako85 (28th May 2018)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Most boring race ever.

Comparison of Ricciardo’s drive to Schumacher 95 in Spain are a bit over the top. He was down on power in the least power dependant track in the world. Monaco is the best track in the world for him to have that type of issue. Congratulations to him - top drive.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Most boring race ever.

Comparison of Ricciardo’s drive to Schumacher 95 in Spain are a bit over the top. He was down on power in the least power dependant track in the world. Monaco is the best track in the world for him to have that type of issue. Congratulations to him - top drive.
    agreed. What Schumacher did on a proper race track was unbelievable, you can get away with a few missing gears at monaco
    especially in these 2018 cars, and if you are in the lead.
    Despite a huge power difference, Vettel couldn't even come close to him
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    There are two conclusions that can be had here, based on the fact that no one posted about qualifying or the race until this morning. One is that Monaco, as a race, is a write off for most fans. The second is that interest in racing in general, see the lack of ANY recent posts in the other racing forums here, is pretty much gone everywhere. The only real activity this board gets anymore are on the rally forums. A third possibility is that one and two both apply. Sad.

I put the blame solely on pay per view. It is impossible to generate new fans when the organisers block huge numbers of people around the world from seeing it. Greed, under the guise of "excellent business strategy", is depleting the fan base massively.

9. Likes: Duncan (28th May 2018),Mia 01 (28th May 2018)
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warriwa View Post
    I put the blame solely on pay per view. It is impossible to generate new fans when the organisers block huge numbers of people around the world from seeing it. Greed, under the guise of "excellent business strategy", is depleting the fan base massively.
    Unfortunately it's going to take quite some time to undo Bernie's idiocy in this area. I'm hopeful that LM has a better grasp of reality and is looking at the longer term, but the short-sighted lets-take-as-much-money-as-we-can-right-now deals are going to be doing damage for a long time yet.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    First, congrats to Daniel!

Second, it was a boring race!!!

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    After the lap 10, I was watching the race on fast forward whenever the leader order was Ric-Vet-Ham-Rai-Bot, and it looks like I didn't miss anything important.