Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Monaco F1 GP 2018

Formula 1 returns to the principality of Monaco. The most prestigious race of the year. A track that favours chassis and aerodynamic superiority over engine grunt. A tight and narrow track lined with unforgiving AMCO barriers that demands consistent precision driving. The drivers are tested for their disciplined operation of their vehicle.

F1 races has taken place here since 1929. This track is tight twists and turns followed by bursts of short straights over a 3.3KM lap. A full grand prix runs over 78 laps of demanding racing. Mclaren holds the record of the most wins on this track with 15 wins. Ayrton Senna remain the most successful driver ever to win the Monaco GP with 6 wins. Incidentally, Sergio Perez holds the fastest race lap time of 1:14:820 in 2017.

Danny Ricciado returns the scene where he lost a well deserved win to Lewis Hamilton due to a rare mistake at the Redbull pitstop in 2016. Third on the podium last year. He is favorite to win this sunday's race with a bit of luck. Ferrari look well pumped up to take the fight to all comers. Mercedes is bullish but cautious. For Vettel this is a must win race to bring himself back into fray of Hamilton's handsome seventeen points lead.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd May 2018 at 20:22.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Tazio (24th May 2018)
    Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    I have a love/hate relationship with Monaco. Though I really enjoy how it tests the driver skill set for pushing right to the edge of track limits, at times if the cars and drivers have too much gap it just becomes a procession. When things are tight and the drivers are fighting, it's a true test even if many passes take place in the pits.

Interesting that Perez holds the fast lap. After looking I found that he only holds 4 total if gauged by season, but he got his Monaco fast lap in the Force India. Being that the car is more known for speed than handling and aero, quite an accomplishment.

Monaco has also been the site of some strange incidents. The great Schumacher parked it on the racing line, Alonso and Fabio took advantage of a driver and "spun", and I remember Button driving past the podium area and running back to get there. While searching for info on Checo's fast lap, I also found a link that says Monaco will have "female promotional models" on the grid, and it somehow flys under the radar of the grid girl rulings.

I'd really like to see Ricciardo pull it off. It must have been hard for him to have one tossed away with the RB pit error.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I have a love/hate relationship with Monaco. Though I really enjoy how it tests the driver skill set for pushing right to the edge of track limits, at times if the cars and drivers have too much gap it just becomes a procession. When things are tight and the drivers are fighting, it's a true test even if many passes take place in the pits.

Interesting that Perez holds the fast lap. After looking I found that he only holds 4 total if gauged by season, but he got his Monaco fast lap in the Force India. Being that the car is more known for speed than handling and aero, quite an accomplishment.

Monaco has also been the site of some strange incidents. The great Schumacher parked it on the racing line, Alonso and Fabio took advantage of a driver and "spun", and I remember Button driving past the podium area and running back to get there. While searching for info on Checo's fast lap, I also found a link that says Monaco will have "female promotional models" on the grid, and it somehow flys under the radar of the grid girl rulings.

I'd really like to see Ricciardo pull it off. It must have been hard for him to have one tossed away with the RB pit error.
    I'm always in favor of the "promotional models". Sometimes more interesting than the production version.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

5. Likes: Bagwan (25th May 2018),gm99 (24th May 2018)
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I'm always in favor of the "promotional models". Sometimes more interesting than the production version.
    I'd go for the "floor model" , myself .

Apparently , they aren't "grid girls" because they won't be carrying numbers .

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Not a great start from Max; terrible timing to make a mistake like that. Looked like he was thrown off line by a slow car at the exit of Piscine 1, and instead of abandoning his fast lap, tried to recover and got it completely wrong at Piscine 2. Oops.

Still, should be interesting. Everybody up front is going to be starting on hypers, and presumably Max is going to start on the supersoft, try to stay out longer than anybody else, and hope for a safety car to come in and switch to ultras. Of course, everybody out of the top 10 is going to be doing the same thing.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I wouldn't have high expectations for Max for this race. He might be desperate to gain positions on the track (after all, that's most likely the only way in which he could salvage this race). That combined with how insanely difficult it is to overtake in Monaco and his usual recklessness makes me think that he'll be entertaining to watch... until he takes himself out.

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    What a boring race so far. And terribly slow as well - the frontrunners are more than 8 seconds a lap slower than in qualifying.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    As usual. Mercedes pitwall by committee screwed up the 2 stop opportunity for hamilton. Smh
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    As usual. Mercedes pitwall by committee screwed up the 2 stop opportunity for hamilton. Smh
    If he had pitted, I wouldn't have put my money on him overtaking Räikkönen - and then you'd be criticizing them for taking an absurd risk when you can't overtake in Monaco.

As far as I am concerned, not switching to a 2-stopper is the right call here. We already saw a couple of drivers trying that a couple of times already and they failed miserably, so it's hard to imagine things would be any better. Even Verstappen, with the fastest car on the track, is finding it difficult to make much progress.

Well, it's pretty telling that after 77 laps we're only at 9 posts - 10 counting this. But that's hardly a surprise. Take away the retirements, accidents and safety cars from Monaco and you just get an extremely dull procession. (Yeah, we got a retirement and an accident without effective consequences other than a DNF for those involved, but still).

I also covered myself in glory with my prediction for Verstappen. But I'm actually glad that he's driving a very sensible race for a change!