Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 spain gp

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Devastating dominance from Mercedes this race. It’s going to be interesting to see if it’s track specific or they can be equally as dominant in Monaco next week.

I spent the first half of the race on board with Hamilton and it was as the best balanced car a driver could hope for. Nice smooth movements on the wheel into the corner, no corrections. I think when it hits the window and peak performance the Mercedes is unstoppable but getting it into that window every race is the challenge for Mercedes this year.

2. Likes: Tazio (13th May 2018),truefan72 (13th May 2018)
    Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
    Race: 6/10 a typical Barcelona race. Even the mid race retirements of Ocon & Vandoorne can’t spice up the race.
    Driver of the day & rave goes to Hamilton. Broke the qualifying & Race Lap Record & a flawless race.
    Donkey goes to Williams for having a dismal weekend. The car was all over the place.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Also want to say that the first lap incident was 100% Grosjean’s fault. I’ve been saying it for years, that guy is simply not good enough to be in F1. He is a liability not only to himself but to all other drivers on the track. He gets a three place grid penalty for Monaco but that is not enough. He has had multiple chances and he is not at the required level. He has caused three safety cars in 5 races and now is still a first lap nutcase.

He stated to the Stewards that he felt his momentum was taking towards the middle of the track which is why he applied the throttle to take him to the right hand side of the circuit to avoid the on coming cars even though his momentum at the time was actually taking him to the left of turn 3.

Only one solution for a moron like him, to revoke his license for his safety and, most importantly, the safety of all other drivers on the circuit.

5. Likes: truefan72 (13th May 2018)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Below-average race. Ferrari MIA. Grosjean was major nuts.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Also want to say that the first lap incident was 100% Grosjean’s fault. I’ve been saying it for years, that guy is simply not good enough to be in F1. He is a liability not only to himself but to all other drivers on the track. He gets a three place grid penalty for Monaco but that is not enough. He has had multiple chances and he is not at the required level. He has caused three safety cars in 5 races and now is still a first lap nutcase.

He stated to the Stewards that he felt his momentum was taking towards the middle of the track which is why he applied the throttle to take him to the right hand side of the circuit to avoid the on coming cars even though his momentum at the time was actually taking him to the left of turn 3.

Only one solution for a moron like him, to revoke his license for his safety and, most importantly, the safety of all other drivers on the circuit.
    ...and he only receives a 3 place grid penalty for Monaco. Sirotkin got the same for a mostly racing incident that did not result in 2 other driver's races being ended, as well as potentially destroying other cars and not to mention a serious risk of potentially tragic injuries resulting in his moronic driving. At the minimum a 10 place grid drop or made to start at the back of the grid would have been the appropriate punishment. I on the other hand think this merited a race ban. This was just has bad as his Spa incident that got him one.
    you can't argue with results.

8. Likes: Duncan (14th May 2018),Tazio (14th May 2018)
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Almost as boring as most GPs we watch in Spain.

I still can't figure out what Grosjean was thinking.... oh wait, he wasn't thinking at all!

The Mercs had some mighty pace today. Overall even with Bottas on old tires, Seb had nothing at all for him after an extra stop. I still think tires/cars/setup are playing a larger hand than in most seasons. We saw the top teams make their last qually run on a harder set of tires. How many times has that happened in a single qually session?

With all the retirements that took place, one of the lowest finishing numbers we have had in a while as well. Even after Rogro punted people out at the start, they kept dropping. By seasons end we will probably see some grid penalties as teams go over their allotted components.

I somehow missed (or the coverage didn't show or mention) Ricciardos spin after the restart. No wonder he was out there in no man's land. His pace towards the end was fairly solid, but too little too late.

Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    How did Max get in front of Seb?
    Grojean, yeah, it was probably better to spin it off track and fight from the back but it looks to me like he thought he could hold it.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    A bit processional at times, but I didn't think it was that bad of a race overall.

Obviously, OMG WTF @ Rogro. Got off very lightly with just a 3 grid spot penalty for that. Gasly and Hulk must have been spitting.

The track obviously worked well for the Mercedes this weekend. Be interesting to see if that continues, or if it was just the specific situation that allowed them to get the tires switched on properly this time. Raikkonen may be in trouble later in the season with engine penalties; hopefully the engine they switched out earlier in the weekend is salvageable.

Good race from Max, too. He could have many more podiums/wins (and could have had a few already) if he can just stay focused and not throw positions away.
    Last edited by Duncan; 14th May 2018 at 06:36.

12. Likes: truefan72 (15th May 2018)
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    By the way, essential info on power unit usage:

https://www.fia.com/file/68088/download?token=i5hdBSOO

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    Did Max cut down Lance's tire when he hit him from behind ?