Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baku F1 GP 2018

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    I'm still torn on the kimi ocon incident. But kimi did a superb job to come back and get p2. Vettel blew it. Was too ambitios in trying to get the lead back and it cost him dearly.
    There also needs to be a serious inquiry into that debris that took out bottas. It could have been far worse if it flew up and hit the cars behind.
    But what a chaotic and memorable race.
    Baku delivered. So far we have had 4 great races. Cars are more equal than ever and you never know who will win or how the race will turn out.

2. Likes: Mia 01 (30th April 2018)
    Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Gutted, IO fell asleep with 18 laps to go!
    May the forza be with you

4. Likes: donKey jote (29th April 2018)
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    It's difficult for me to feel sympathy for Bottas. He lucked into a P1 position and then Lady Luck turned her back on him. That wouldn't have been a deserved win anyway. At least Hamilton had more pace than him, and the only reason why he'd been behind him was that the team screwed up with the strategy.

It's also really difficult for me to rate the finishers. Leclerc, for instance, did a very fine job, but we wouldn't have even noticed had there not been that much attrition. Keep in mind that we lost both Bulls, Bottas, Hülkenberg and Ocon. So even though he's obviously a very fine driver, today doesn't need to be really significant.

This weekend was also embarrassing for a number of drivers. Grosjean, of course, but also Ericsson, who got destroyed by his teammate. And Räikkönen could have been on that top spot today had he not made two crucial mistakes this weekend, one in qualifying and one in trying to make it two cars into a tight corner with Ocon. Vandoorne was also given quite a pummelling this weekend.

Just watched anthony davidson review of the rbr incident. And here goes dr. Marko defending verstappen by saying it was a racing incident. Verstappen clearly was at fault and i sincerely hope the steward slap him with a stiff penalty. I hate it when they are lenient if it is teammates. The same scrutiny should apply regardless of who are involved. Tbh it should be a back of the grid for the next race penalty for max.

7. Likes: Mia 01 (30th April 2018),Tazio (29th April 2018)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Gutted for Bottas. I would have been happy for a p2 for hamilton. Bottas drove a perfect race. A bit melancholy victory. But congrats to perez and driver of the day is charles leclerc. This is huge for sauber. Alonso drove a stellar drive as usual. Verstappen deserves a huge penalty for his actions. Grosjean...just dumb
    I guess what goes around comes around. Hamilton should have won in Oz so hard to deny him this race as well. Bottas did an amazing job on the SS tyres today. Hamilton should have been able to make the tyres last longer than he did.

9. Likes: truefan72 (29th April 2018)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Just watched anthony davidson review of the rbr incident. And here goes dr. Marko defending verstappen by saying it was a racing incident. Verstappen clearly was at fault and i sincerely hope the steward slap him with a stiff penalty. I hate it when they are lenient if it is teammates. The same scrutiny should apply regardless of who are involved. Tbh it should be a back of the grid for the next race penalty for max.
    Disagree. Max was entitled to move as he did. He did it before the braking zone. Ricciardo should have known there was no way Max was letting him through there.

Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
    Last year Baku was awesome. This year it is probably as good in my book. 9/10. Hamilton & Raikkonen lucked into the podium despite having a relatively average performance. It’s a payback to Hamilton For the race win robbed in Australia. As for Raikkonen, for once Ferrari didn’t compromise his race cos Vettel was ahead of him for the almost the entire race.
    My Driver of the race goes to Leclerc; a solid performance after 3 difficult races. Perez deserves a special mention. He did it again. Mercedes should give Perez a shot if they decided to swap Bottas. My donkey goes to Redbull. Many people argued there shouldn’t be team orders but the collision suggested otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Disagree. Max was entitled to move as he did. He did it before the braking zone. Ricciardo should have known there was no way Max was letting him through there.
    Well, he is entitled to one move which he did when Daniiel made the dummy to the outside, so max veered right. then when he saw ricciardo coming for the inside, he swerved left significantly which destroyed both cars and was his 2nd move that is not what you are supposed to do. So I do squarely blame Verstappen. This is compounded by his restart incident where he brushed into daniel on turn 1 by defending too aggressive. but clearly the last incident was his fault and does deserve a penalty.

and now this: https://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-...89/story.shtml
    So if sirotkin gets grid place penalty for hit on perez for spanish gp which really didn't affect the race then I fully expect verstappen to get a grid penalty for swerving & causing a collision.
    Last edited by truefan72; 29th April 2018 at 17:31.
    you can't argue with results.

13. Likes: Mia 01 (30th April 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    You are quite right. The Verstapenn blocking rule was revoked for this season. Drivers are allowed to make more than one move to block in the Verstapenn fashion. But this incident has shown what most critics of verstapenn's blocking maneuver have thought for some time, that sooner of later, someone is going to ram into the back of his Redbull. Ironically, it was his Redbull teammate that Rams into his backend.

This sort of defensive maneuver is dangerous as it puts both drivers at risk. The One move rule was decided for a very good reason; to avoid tail ramming. I personally put this incident down to Verstapenn. One cannot expect the pace of the overtaking car to magically vanish when the car in front makes a second move to block them.

How unlucky for Bottas, to have a puncture on a race that was very much his. A very lukewarm Hamilton lucks into a win and Kimi also gets his second place that he was due at Melbourne, karma sort of leveled the state of affairs. A very wild and unpredictable Baku race served up another seat edge roller-coaster grandprix.

Perez lucks into a podium position as well, as Grosjean throws away another Haas opportunity. But for me the star of the show was rookie Leclerc, what a great drive he put in today.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th April 2018 at 16:44.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Lewis Hamilton leads the drivers's championship by four points to Vettel who would be kicking himself for losing all his point advantages to Lewis in a purely risky attempt to overtake. But this sort of maneuvers is what we love about Vettel. Just unlucky that it did not quite work out, but the real problem with not pulling it of is the cost of not pulling it of.
    The great thing is the championship is open again. But Hamilton and Vettel are pulling away from everyone else. The Mercedes still looks be-dogged with performance sapping problems. Hence, there are surely to be future changes to the leader of the driver points table. More so because the Ferrari seem to be the car to beat at the mo. They are making it easy for the oppositions with mistakes after mistakes.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th April 2018 at 16:47.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare