Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Baku F1 GP 2018

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
    I blame Christian Horner!
    It is hard to disagree with this view. Adrian Newey was quite disgusted by the outcome which one could easily read from his face, was quite avoidable with the right action from the Redbull pitwall.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: BigWorm (30th April 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    I agree although was this just a good track for Sauber or is LeClerc the real deal?
    Baku is not the sort of track where you could make such a call. Like Williams and Stroll last year this was purely luck but you have to be good enough to take it when luck is on your side.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: N. Jones (30th April 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    They can only make more than one blocking move if they leave the driver behind a clear lane. Max did not do that.

"More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. If a driver has moved off the racing line while defending their position, they may move back but must ensure there is at least one car’s width between their own car and the edge of the track."

https://www.formula1.com/en/champion...penalties.html
    Quite right, the move back to the racing line is the Verstapenn maneuver. The fact that he did not leave a car's width between his car and the barrier is why l think he his to blame for this incident. I don't see how Ricciado has any blame in this.
    William Shakespeare

6. Likes: Mia 01 (1st May 2018)
    Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    I want to toss a donkey at those crane truck operators , who seemed to be using it for the first time , and doing it in slo-mo .

Would there be a way of having some kind of bumper/barrier attached to the rear of vehicles like that , that might alleviate some of the concern Lewis brought up about the safety of travelling by it behind the safety car .
    Given Romain's trip into the barriers was during the same safety car period, on a different section of track , it is certainly a pertinent question .

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Quite right, the move back to the racing line is the Verstapenn maneuver. The fact that he did not leave a car's width between his car and the barrier is why l think he his to blame for this incident. I don't see how Ricciado has any blame in this.
    The blame , if there is some for the badger , comes from not delivering a good enough fakey to Max to get him out wide enough to get beside him before he closed the door .
    He never really got a good look in at all before the door was shut , evidenced by him locking before Max applied much braking at all , and by his hitting him squarely whilst trying to back out of it .

Had Danny gotten any part of his car beside Max's , Max would have copped a penalty for sure , but he didn't .
    And , I suspect this is what the stewards considered most .

Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    It is hard to disagree with this view. Adrian Newey was quite disgusted by the outcome which one could easily read from his face, was quite avoidable with the right action from the Redbull pitwall.
    It's respectable that Red Bull let's them race without teamorders, but with their driving styles - Max moving under braking and Daniel who likes his divebombing, these incidents are bound to happen sooner or later. They we're battling eachother the whole time yesterday and none of them seemed to be able to pull away, a little bit of teamorders wouldn't have hurt.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Would there be a way of having some kind of bumper/barrier attached to the rear of vehicles like that , that might alleviate some of the concern Lewis brought up about the safety of travelling by it behind the safety car .
    Given Romain's trip into the barriers was during the same safety car period, on a different section of track , it is certainly a pertinent question .
    Sure, and it's easy to do. They're called fenders and will go well with the halo.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Sure, and it's easy to do. They're called fenders and will go well with the halo.
    I hope y'all know I was talking about the crane .
    A big ol' puffy bumper , covered in mink(or some non-protestable , just as soft material ) so they won't scratch the visor when it pushes in through the thong .
    Maybe Force Pink BWT would sponsor it . Pink is hi-vis .
    Last edited by Bagwan; 30th April 2018 at 21:08.

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I want to toss a donkey at those crane truck operators , who seemed to be using it for the first time , and doing it in slo-mo .

Here in the US the highway workers often use "crash trucks" that are designed with an impact absorbing section on the back. I'm sure with the resources the FIA has they could use something similar.

As for the race, once again this season is delivering. So many unexpected things happening that you didn't know until the last minute who would take the race or even the podium positions.

Max had it coming.

Bottas had the bad luck, not putting a tire wrong all race and then the puncture.

The misfortune of the leaders in Australia flips around, and karma levels out.

The few who stayed out of trouble reaped the rewards.

Seb.... what was he thinking?

I still think tires are playing a huge role this year. With the changes everyone is still figuring them out, and strategy is being second guessed by the teams. Max got away with an "overcut", Bottas went really long on the supers, and the restarts left everyone wondering where the grip went.

As for the Max and Daniel incident, I think the Sky commentators made a good comparison. It was similar to Webber and Vettel in Turkey. A faster driver behind determined to overtake, and the slower driver simply not accepting that it would happen sooner or later. RB needs to get their drivers in check if they aren't going to implement team orders. And though I despise team orders, preserving points and high dollar machinery has to be done. If they don't get it in check they are going to end up in the situation Force India was in, dealing with drivers that disregard each other.

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Here in the US the highway workers often use "crash trucks" that are designed with an impact absorbing section on the back.
    I'm sure with the resources the FIA has they could use something similar.
    We have those over here as well. It's called Truck Mounted Attenuator (TMA).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_attenuator
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Vehicle_01.jpg
    http://stenbergstransportlosningar.s...ia/tma_ata.jpg
    http://www.tma-bilar.nu/wp-content/b...der/slide2.jpg
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...