Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Baku F1 GP 2018

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    This old hippie wonders why he thought of this before Whiting , Todt , or seemingly anyone involved in the sport , especially after the Bianchi incident .

So , a solution exists (and a thanks to my fellow forum members) that could solve a serious safety issue .
    Some adaptations might be necessary to ensure it doesn't impact the speed at which cars are recovered , and to ensure the cars don't "submarine" the barrier , but it is eminently doable .

2. Likes: Mia 01 (2nd May 2018)
    Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Very good point. I stand corrected.
    Not trying to correct your view, just giving another one. Speculation. The end result is what it is

4. Likes: N4D13 (2nd May 2018)
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    This old hippie wonders why he thought of this before Whiting , Todt , or seemingly anyone involved in the sport , especially after the Bianchi incident .

So , a solution exists (and a thanks to my fellow forum members) that could solve a serious safety issue .
    Some adaptations might be necessary to ensure it doesn't impact the speed at which cars are recovered , and to ensure the cars don't "submarine" the barrier , but it is eminently doable .
    I would think it would be easy enough to do for something that would protect both the drivers of the F1 cars and the track workers. Being that the cars are so light, it could probably be mounted on a fairly light truck that would be easier to position than a larger truck.

Being we now have the VSC function already, it might also make sense to have a limited speed section in the vicinity of the cleanup/accident/whatever. I'm sure the SC drivers alter speed as is, but the way the pack spreads out sometimes still leaves room for error.

It was great that Lewis pointed out this issue with safety. With the size and weight of F1 cars it really doesn't take much to create a potential threat to the drivers. After what happened to Bianchi the FIA could do better, and I hope they do.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I would think it would be easy enough to do for something that would protect both the drivers of the F1 cars and the track workers. Being that the cars are so light, it could probably be mounted on a fairly light truck that would be easier to position than a larger truck.

Being we now have the VSC function already, it might also make sense to have a limited speed section in the vicinity of the cleanup/accident/whatever. I'm sure the SC drivers alter speed as is, but the way the pack spreads out sometimes still leaves room for error.

It was great that Lewis pointed out this issue with safety. With the size and weight of F1 cars it really doesn't take much to create a potential threat to the drivers. After what happened to Bianchi the FIA could do better, and I hope they do.
    You're right that Lewis speaking up is a great thing , and I hope he uses his top driver status to push this issue some more .
    It deserves to be fixed , for everyone's safety .

I'm not sold on using another vehicle for protection , if that's what you're saying , but a smaller , protected unit , purpose designed for tight spaces might be easily doable because , as you say , these cars are pretty light .

Certainly , at least some standardization of recovery equipment at all the tracks couldn't hurt .

About the SC thing , one other bit really bugs me , and has done since they started doing it , is letting the lapped drivers go out of position to the back of the line .
    In a scenario where the SC has been chosen , it is a given that there is some kind of issue that has occurred to warrant the slow-down and control , yet , they release some to speed to the rear during this period , uncontrolled .
    Quite apart from the , to me , obvious safety issue this causes , it also just doesn't seem fair to negate the traffic factor when passing at all can be such a rare thing in itself . Coming upon a back marker can be your best chance to make your move .

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    You're right that Lewis speaking up is a great thing , and I hope he uses his top driver status to push this issue some more .
    It deserves to be fixed , for everyone's safety .

I'm not sold on using another vehicle for protection , if that's what you're saying , but a smaller , protected unit , purpose designed for tight spaces might be easily doable because , as you say , these cars are pretty light .

Certainly , at least some standardization of recovery equipment at all the tracks couldn't hurt .

About the SC thing , one other bit really bugs me , and has done since they started doing it , is letting the lapped drivers go out of position to the back of the line .
    In a scenario where the SC has been chosen , it is a given that there is some kind of issue that has occurred to warrant the slow-down and control , yet , they release some to speed to the rear during this period , uncontrolled .
    Quite apart from the , to me , obvious safety issue this causes , it also just doesn't seem fair to negate the traffic factor when passing at all can be such a rare thing in itself . Coming upon a back marker can be your best chance to make your move .
    Well, people used to complain a lot when lapped drivers remained in position during a SC, which often meant that drivers weren't able to attack the car in front at the restart because there was a lapped guy in between. That's the reason why the ruling was changed and quite frankly, I prefer it this way myself. That said, there's simply no way to make everyone happy.

8. Likes: COD (4th May 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Well, people used to complain a lot when lapped drivers remained in position during a SC, which often meant that drivers weren't able to attack the car in front at the restart because there was a lapped guy in between. That's the reason why the ruling was changed and quite frankly, I prefer it this way myself. That said, there's simply no way to make everyone happy.
    I don't remember people complaining about it a lot , but , really , that's not my point at all .
    We can easily agree to disagree on whether it's either sporting or good for the show , but whether it's safe to have those back markers rejoining at the back of the field is what I am asking .

If it is deemed necessary to deploy the safety car , to slow the pack down and control it , specifically in proximity to crash sites so the track workers are protected , is it not defeating the very idea of controlling them when they release them ?

Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Why not just drop the backmarkers down the queue instead of letting them take back the lap?
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    I don't remember people complaining about it a lot , but , really , that's not my point at all .
    We can easily agree to disagree on whether it's either sporting or good for the show , but whether it's safe to have those back markers rejoining at the back of the field is what I am asking .

If it is deemed necessary to deploy the safety car , to slow the pack down and control it , specifically in proximity to crash sites so the track workers are protected , is it not defeating the very idea of controlling them when they release them ?
    Please understand that I am not nitpicking you. But you all must understand that track workers know exactly what they are signing up for. The danger comes with the ring side seat to the race. We know what we are doing and we are very aware of the risks. Please don't worry about "protecting" us and let us get about our jobs. That's part of doing what we do and we freely accept the risk. There's bigger fish to fry in F1 these days. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Please understand that I am not nitpicking you. But you all must understand that track workers know exactly what they are signing up for. The danger comes with the ring side seat to the race. We know what we are doing and we are very aware of the risks. Please don't worry about "protecting" us and let us get about our jobs. That's part of doing what we do and we freely accept the risk. There's bigger fish to fry in F1 these days. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
    If I've got nits , I'm ok with any picking going on .

And , I get what you're saying , but a big ol' bumper on the truck idea isn't about you (not that you're not important and all that , y'all understand).

It's about the driver .

The idea of releasing the back marker delays the restart , and artificially removes hard-fought positions , while removing opportunities for sometimes rarely seen passes .
    All that , and endangering brave track workers as well .
    Last edited by Bagwan; 5th May 2018 at 18:06.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post

With the layout of the track. This scenario was one of the question marks raised against the track at its inception. How is recovery and clear up going to work if a bad collision occurs on the parallel straights and some of those tight bends? We get to see a demonstration of one such recovery exercise at Baku this season. There would be lessens learnt but one thing was very clear, that any driver mishap that occurs in the proximity of that truck may result in a very grave incident. They would need to look at safer recovery methods like using cranes as is done in most places on the Monaco circuit. If trucks are going to go on the track, it would not matter much if it was a small one or a big one. Hence, it would have made more sense to stop the race as Hamilton suggested. Just imagine if the Grosjean mishap happened at the location of the truck.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare