Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Baku F1 GP 2018

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    It's difficult for me to feel sympathy for Bottas. He lucked into a P1 position and then Lady Luck turned her back on him. That wouldn't have been a deserved win anyway. At least Hamilton had more pace than him, and the only reason why he'd been behind him was that the team screwed up with the strategy.

It's also really difficult for me to rate the finishers. Leclerc, for instance, did a very fine job, but we wouldn't have even noticed had there not been that much attrition. Keep in mind that we lost both Bulls, Bottas, Hülkenberg and Ocon. So even though he's obviously a very fine driver, today doesn't need to be really significant.

This weekend was also embarrassing for a number of drivers. Grosjean, of course, but also Ericsson, who got destroyed by his teammate. And Räikkönen could have been on that top spot today had he not made two crucial mistakes this weekend, one in qualifying and one in trying to make it two cars into a tight corner with Ocon. Vandoorne was also given quite a pummelling this weekend.
    Well said, but one still need to commend those that did what it took to reap the reward of the opportunity that providence threw before them. Leclerc did what should be done to ensure that he got to the end of the race, to claim the points for the position that he ended up in. Grosjean on the other hand should have ended up on the podium today but threw it into the wall behind the safety car. So Leclerc deserves praise. And it is great to see something positive happening for Sauber.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd May 2018 at 13:35.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,066 Times in 598 Posts
    I agree although was this just a good track for Sauber or is LeClerc the real deal?

My two cents in the Red Bull debacle - it's Maldonado's fault.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

3. Likes: Mia 01 (30th April 2018),schmenke (30th April 2018)
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    You are quite right. The Verstapenn blocking rule was revoked for this season. Drivers are allowed to make more than one move to block in the Verstapenn fashion. But this incident has shown what most critics of verstapenn's blocking maneuver have thought for some time, that sooner of later, someone is going to ram into the back of his Redbull. Ironically, it was his Redbull teammate that Rams into his backend.

This sort of defensive maneuver is dangerous as it puts both drivers at risk. The One move rule was decided for a very good reason; to avoid tail ramming. I personally put this incident down to Verstapenn. One cannot expect the pace of the overtaking car to magically vanish when the car in front makes a second move top block them.
    They can only make more than one blocking move if they leave the driver behind a clear lane. Max did not do that.

"More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. If a driver has moved off the racing line while defending their position, they may move back but must ensure there is at least one car’s width between their own car and the edge of the track."

https://www.formula1.com/en/champion...penalties.html
    Ayrton Senna, Legend. R.I.P.

\"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. Because we are competing. We are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for a victory. It is not to come third, fourth, fifth or sixth. I race to win\".

5. Likes: Mia 01 (30th April 2018),truefan72 (30th April 2018)
    Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    It's difficult for me to feel sympathy for Bottas. He lucked into a P1 position and then Lady Luck turned her back on him. That wouldn't have been a deserved win anyway. At least Hamilton had more pace than him, and the only reason why he'd been behind him was that the team screwed up with the strategy.
    Well,another view is that Ham destroyed his supersoft tyres by making a braking mistake and had to swich to softs. Bottas was able to save his supersofts and was leading. He would have gone to ultras anyway in the end. They were so much faster than softs that it is possible he would have ended first even without the safetycar which actually just allowed everyone to swich to ultras and put the group together.

7. Likes: N4D13 (30th April 2018)
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COD View Post
    Well,another view is that Ham destroyed his supersoft tyres by making a braking mistake and had to swich to softs. Bottas was able to save his supersofts and was leading. He would have gone to ultras anyway in the end. They were so much faster than softs that it is possible he would have ended first even without the safetycar which actually just allowed everyone to swich to ultras and put the group together.
    Very good point. I stand corrected.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    As I was watching the replays of that Red Bull crash, I wondering about one thing. Suppose Max left the room on the inside for Daniel to pass through. After that would Daniel actually make the turn and still stay ahead? It seems like he was going so fast and so close to the braking zone of that 90 degree corner that I am having doubts about this.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Disagree. Max was entitled to move as he did. ....
    Yes, but not against his team mate!

Verstappen ruined what could have been significant points for Red Bull this weekend.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    I blame Christian Horner!

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    I saw desperation in Max , with his recently being called out for being too aggressive , and all the criticism that came with it .
    He missed out on that top step that Daniel got , and it obviously stung .

And , I saw frustration from the honey badger , who perhaps felt aggrieved at the earlier touch , and also felt faster , stuck to Max's bumper .

Max moved twice , and you can't do that , but Dan didn't sell the outside fake very well either , and so dove into a closing door .

Twas not a good showing by either driver .
    They both deserve to say sorry to those who do the work behind them .

13. Likes: COD (30th April 2018),donKey jote (30th April 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    As I was watching the replays of that Red Bull crash, I wondering about one thing. Suppose Max left the room on the inside for Daniel to pass through. After that would Daniel actually make the turn and still stay ahead? It seems like he was going so fast and so close to the braking zone of that 90 degree corner that I am having doubts about this.
    Ricciado left a car's width room for Verstapenn at that same corner a few laps back while overtaking him. There is a good chance Ricciado would have at least got alongside Verstapenn on the straight for a drag race. Besides it doesn't matter whether Ricciado would have pulled the move off or not, as long as they make the duel clean and not jeopardize team points.
    Maybe it is time someone puts an arm over his shoulder.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th April 2018 at 16:41.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare