Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A FONDO View Post
    The inside of that hairpin seems a bit tricky to be honest, a bit dirtier or uneven surface can decide the few inches between a wonderful dive and a crash.
    When l looked at the race again, l felt Race control could have deployed the safety car better by ensuring they picked up the leaders. It was not an urgent situation, they have deployed the safety car in a way that has influenced the outcome of the race . I think the FIA have to look at improving the SAFETY CAR deployment procedures. It is abit intrusive to the outcome of the races at the mo; It handed a race win to fouth place man Vettel in Austrailia, and here in China, it handed the race to fifth place man Ricciado.

That said, Ricciado deserved the win, his experience and sheer talent shined through today.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 20th April 2018 at 07:34.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Pirelli did a fine job with the tires if at this point many teams can't figure out the optimal strategy. Red Bull did a pretty poor job with Vettel's tire strategy in Bahrain and now in China. While Vettel was lucky to win in Bahrain, he would be out of podium with or without crash with Verstappen.

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Well, nobody can claim we didn't get a Shanghai surprise with this race!

Even with the safety car and accidents, incidents, and just a bit of crazy mixed in, in the end it still seems as if tires were the major factor for the top teams. With equal tires, passing risks tire degradation issues, so the pass must be quick and it must stick. With tires one step softer, drivers can stay behind and have a bit more time to make a pass stick. If the RB cars can make up that power deficit that well with cornering and braking improvements, then it shows that the Ferrari and Mercedes can be reeled in.

The post race interviews on pit road were telling. Toto admitted they stayed out intentionally thinking that track position would be more valuable than the tire swap. He also said Merc had been on their heels trying to keep up with Ferrari all weekend, and that they need to do better if they want championships.

Amazing job by the RB team and Ricciardo. Not only did they make the right call at the right time, but they did it on short notice and double stacked the cars twice in the pits while still executing great stops. If they could just get Max to calm down they would have had a 1-2 finish.

Just as shocking to me was the fact that neither Merc or Ferrari pitted even a single car behind the safety car.

Good to see Kimi on the podium. He actually seems to have upped his qually game this season, but misfortune in the first two races kept him from better positions. The game Ferrari played at China really made no sense to me unless they could have kept him out long enough to go to softer tires.

4. Likes: truefan72 (16th April 2018)
    Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    It's enough a little headwind and the fanboys go nuts against their idol's team. How fast do we forget.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    I enjoyed that .
    From when it began , and all the way to the finish , I didn't know the final outcome .
    Having two compounds a little more different from each other made it possible for some actual passing .

We had a "Cinderella story" , with a guy who barely made qually winning the race . And , he was not , by any means , the favourite .

And , we have two teams now , with one that only a few thought had any chance of the championship winning a race .

Three teams are in the hunt . That's three .

I hate the halo , but I'm loving the season so far .

Now , Merc needs to win one .

7. Likes: 555-04Q2 (16th April 2018)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    When you look at the overtake of Ricciado over Bottas, you have to say Verstapenn was unlucky with the collision with Vettel. I certainly don't think it was inexperience or lack of caution. I expect any racer to stick their nose into a gap like the one that Vettel opened to Verstapenn.
    You are correct that a real racer will occasionally get themselves in trouble with an optimistic over take and that's part of what it takes to be a champion. You have to be both fast and aggressive to spend time at the front. But with Max the body of evidence over time is beginning to seem more chump than champ. He needs to have a serious rethink about when and where to demonstrate aggression.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

9. Likes: 555-04Q2 (16th April 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    You are correct that a real racer will occasionally get themselves in trouble with an optimistic over take and that's part of what it takes to be a champion. You have to be both fast and aggressive to spend time at the front. But with Max the body of evidence over time is beginning to seem more chump than champ. He needs to have a serious rethink about when and where to demonstrate aggression.
    With Ricciardo , "the last of the late brakers" behind you , you know what to expect .
    With Max , you don't know at all what's coming .

11. Likes: Mia 01 (17th April 2018)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Agreed on the whole, he has hit a bad patch but I still see a lot of potential in Max. The saying that you cant always make a slow driver fast but you can reign a fast guy in comes to mind. Roman went the same thing for even longer but came out the other side of it. Max will too... I'm sure of it.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Has anyone noticed how we seem to have forgotten about the halo already?

This is from post #35 :
    "I hate the halo , but I'm loving the season so far ."

Sorry to quote myself , but "we" doesn't apply here , obviously .

I'm trying to focus on how good the season is , despite that cockpit thong thing . I hate that thing . I even hate the name of that thing .

But , the season is great , isn't it ?
    You just don't know who will win , and I think that's great .
    So , we should talk about that , because that's a beautiful thing , not an ugly one .

15. Likes: N4D13 (17th April 2018)