Thread: F1 TV launch

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

F1 TV launch

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...ix-in-may.html

Formula 1, the pinnacle of motor sport, will launch F1 TV in May, ahead of the Formula 1 2018 Gran Premio De Espana. Until that time, Formula 1 will continue to run a closed beta version of the service to a small subset of fans for viewing and testing during the upcoming Formula 1 2018 1 Heineken Chinese Grand Prix and Formula 1 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix.
    F1 TV is F1’s over the top (OTT) subscription video platform, produced in conjunction with world leaders in the field of streaming video and subscription services. NBC Playmaker, iStreamPlanet, CSG, and Ostmodern will join Tata in delivering the solution for F1 fans. The launch of the service marks F1’s biggest investment in its digital transformation to date.

F1 TV will have two service levels at two different price points. F1 TV Pro, the premium tier, will feature live races and all 20 driver-cameras, as well as side-by-side live race viewing and additional exclusive feeds. Subscribers will be able to personalise the way they watch a Grand Prix, the content they view and how and when they access it. All of practice, qualifying and races will be offered live, along with press conferences and pre- and post-race interviews. Later in the season, the main support series FIA Formula 2 Championship, GP3 Series and Porsche Supercup will be added to the service.

F1 TV will initially launch on desktop. Apple, Android and Amazon Fire mobile and tablet devices will launch shortly thereafter. By summer, the service will also be available to fans on Amazon Fire TV, Android TV and Apple TV. Pricing will be offered on an annual basis of $70-$150, with monthly rates ranging from $8-12. The service will be priced according to market.

A less expensive, non-live subscription tier, F1 TV Access will provide live race timing data and radio broadcasts, as well as extended highlights of each session from the race weekend. It will also be underscored by unprecedented access to archive video content from the amazing historic archive owned by Formula 1. F1 TV Access will be available on a near-global basis at launch, to complement F1 TV Pro; and will also be added to throughout the season.

In developing the platform, NBC Sports’ Playmaker Media, and iStreamPlanet will act as systems integrator and video streaming partner. They provide high-quality, turn-key, end-to-end video streaming solutions for media companies offering their customers the best experience in live video and on-demand content across all platforms.

CSG will deliver identity management, payment processing and business analysis to support subscriber management and retention. Ostmodern will design and deliver the web and app product experience, including personalization, side by side viewing and future feature enhancements, underpinned by their Skylark CMS.

CDN and connectivity services to distribute the F1 TV content globally will be supplied by Tata Communications, Formula 1’s Official Connectivity Provider.

Frank Arthofer, Director of Digtal and New Business, Formula 1, said:

“There is tremendous opportunity in the OTT space to provide F1’s avid fans with a unique F1 viewing experience across all devices. With this launch, fans will find an easy to use streaming experience, rich with live and on-demand content available only on F1 TV, all at a great price.”

Pete Samara, Director of Digtal Technology, Formula 1, said:

“We are proud to announce the launch date for F1 TV. We have chosen partners who are at the forefront of this sector: among them, Playmaker Video, iStream Planet and Tata Communications. They, like us, are focused on delivering the best OTT experience to our avid F1 fans, the lifeblood of our sport.”

Eric Black, Senior Vice President & Chief Technical Officer, Playmaker Media, said:

“Playmaker Media is honoured to be part of the impressive team charged with delivering Formula 1’s bold vision for F1 TV. The winners will be F1 fans who will have unprecedented access to the sport through these transformative products.”
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    A quick glance reveals that it won't be available in Brazil, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain or the US*, to name a few. Whoops. I know it's got to do with broadcasting rights, but still, that kind of blows...

Edit: Duncan points out that it IS available in the US.
    Last edited by N4D13; 14th April 2018 at 07:34.

3. Likes: N. Jones (13th April 2018)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    The question from my point of view is "Will it be available on free TV in the US?. I suspect for a while anyway as contracts for at least this year are already in place. When it goes pay all the way, then I'm done. I'll stick with local motorsports and IndyCar.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    A quick glance reveals that it won't be available in Brazil, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain or the US, to name a few. Whoops. I know it's got to do with broadcasting rights, but still, that kind of blows...
    USA is one of the listed countries for availability. No UK, though, as expected.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    USA is one of the listed countries for availability. No UK, though, as expected.
    Damn, you're right. I looked for "United States" and only found "United States Virgin Islands", which made me assume it wouldn't be available in the mainland. I didn't notice the "USA" a couple of lines down below.

7. Likes: NaBUru38 (4th May 2018)