Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Not only that, why should cars in the pit be allowed to reach racing speed going into the lower speed of VSC on track. VSC should include the pitlane as well. That would properly neutralize the race. You cannot say the race is neutralized if people can drive above VSC speed in the pitlane.
    yup. Both Hamilton and kimi completely lost out to Vettel. They were cruising to a 1-2 finish before the VSC
    Unless you are already in the pits then the pit lane should be closed during the VSC for the first 2 laps of the period.
    Also whilst entering and exiting the pitlane, one should be held to a certain speed below the normal pitlane speed to further neutralize the field.
    there...problem solved
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    As far as the track goes. If you extend the run along the lake an extra 50m and square off t11&12, make it a hard left and right, I think that could create a passing opportunity for both t11 & 13.

To help, the t9&10 coming onto the lake? I'd used the inside of t9 and make them turn in earlier, and make it a hard right, hard left, hard right onto the lake.

Then further back. I'd even remove the t6&7 chicane, and make it a long run from t5 to T8. Sometimes it gets fraught at T3&4 where there's hard braking and criss crossing, but that is lost once they get to t6, so the run through T8 is straightforward.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    What can we say about the season from what we have seen today? ....

What's really troubling is that we haven't seen any significant overtakes on track. I just hope this is because of the Australian GP configuration and not a sign of things to come.

4. Likes: A FONDO (26th March 2018)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    For SC I agree with pitting otherwise if you need to pit just after the SC you’ll be at the back of the pack.

For VSC it’s meant to neutralise the race, it’s not meant that some driver should be gaining an advantage from it. Neutralise. That’s the whole point of VSC. I agree with pitting during SC not during VSC.

Something thay needs addressing under SC is the lapped cars unlapping themselves rule. SC worked fine for years without it. There’s no need for it.
    I see, your points make sense.

Liked 52 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    What's really troubling is that we haven't seen any significant overtakes on track. I just hope this is because of the Australian GP configuration and not a sign of things to come.
    I think there are 2 reasons to it:
    1. Like you said, the configuration of the Albert Park circuit. Notoriously difficult to overtake. I think this year's race had more overtakes than last year's although it had 1 extra DRS zone.

2. The midfield is strongest it has been in ages. Renault, Mclaren and Haas battling it out for 4th in the WCC will most likely be the theme of the season. Altough none of them are legitimate podium contenders on pace, they will be hard overtakes for leaders having to come through the field.

7. Likes: Duncan (31st March 2018),truefan72 (28th March 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onemanband View Post
    1. Like you said, the configuration of the Albert Park circuit. Notoriously difficult to overtake. I think this year's race had more overtakes than last year's although it had 1 extra DRS zone.

2. The midfield is strongest it has been in ages. Renault, Mclaren and Haas battling it out for 4th in the WCC will most likely be the theme of the season. Altough none of them are legitimate podium contenders on pace, they will be hard overtakes for leaders having to come through the field.
    Now that is an interesting point. Cars typically in the sharp end that find themselves demoted to positions behind these trio; Haas, Mclaren and Renault may find it alot more difficult to pass them for positions this year. Especially the mercs which are notoriously poor in the wake of faster midfield cars.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I see Ricciardo is belittling Hamilton’s pole lap saying any top driver could take pole in a Mercedes, meanwhile he can’t even out-qualify his own teammate. Those 5 wins and a pole have really gone to his head. I’d love for him to go to Mercedes next year just so Hamilton could out him in his place.
    Meanwhile, Ricciardo moves forward through the field to 4th place, beating his team mate, and putting in a spirited drive challenging Raikkonen for a podium til the end.

At the same time. Hamilton, driving the fastest car in the field, raised the white flag when things got all too hard for him. So much so that Vettel could afford an error and still not lose the lead.

After all, a true champion never gives up and fights to the end.

MB≥Hamilton.

Relative to the cars they drove, Ricciardo was better than Hamilton in 14, 16 & 17 seasons. If they were driving for MB, Hamilton would indeed put Ricciardo in his place.

That being 1st place.
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 28th March 2018 at 13:35.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Meanwhile, Ricciardo moves forward through the field to 4th place, beating his team mate, and putting in a spirited drive challenging Raikkonen for a podium til the end.

At the same time. Hamilton, driving the fastest car in the field, raised the white flag when things got all too hard for him. So much so that Vettel could afford an error and still not lose the lead.

MB≥Hamilton.

Relative to the cars they drove, Ricciardo was better than Hamilton in 14, 16 & 17 seasons. If they were driving for MB, Hamilton would indeed put Ricciardo in his place.

That being 1st place.
    I am glad you posted this.
    It's good to wake up and have a laugh.
    smh
    you can't argue with results.

11. Likes: henners88 (28th March 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post

MB≥Hamilton.

That being 1st place.
    LOL

We have to make allowances for the fact that u r Australian. Ricciado is not in the same league as Hamilton. Especially if he is unable to overcome young Verstapenn. That said, l rate him above Bottas, hence, he would be a great replacement for Bottas at Mercedes.

Of the two Redbull drivers, Hamilton sees Verstapenn as the threat of the two when it comes to the championship. It goes to show that Hamilton do not see him as a driver that would bother him in the second Mercedes.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th March 2018 at 16:13.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onemanband View Post
    Yes, I think Albert Park is just an incredibly hard circuit to overtake on with the current aero configuration. I think it suffers from the same problem as Abu Dhabi: every long straight is immediately preceded by a multi-apex corner complex. Each of the three DRS zoned straights is preceded by a combo (tuns 1 & 2, turns 9 & 10, and turns 15 & 16 respectively). If you're close enough to set up for an overtake down any of those straights, you have no downforce going through the corresponding corner complex right before it. What we saw, as for last season's race at Abu Dhabi, is the chasing car always sliding around and struggling to stay on track when setting up for an overtake.

14. Likes: truefan72 (31st March 2018)