Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Oh well, a bit of bad luck today with the VSC for Mercedes. Pitting under the safety car is probably a loop hole that needs closing. Hamilton won the Spanish GP last year because of the VSC so what goes around comes around. Mercedes should have maybe notified Hamilton that Vettel was in case he had any extra pace under his safety car markers. Either way, that’s the way the dice roll sometimes. There will be other days and Mercedes clearly seem to have the best package from what we’ve seen so far.

Kimi dropped way behind Hamilton and Vettel afterward, he’s not able to keep up with Ham and Vet when they put the foot down.

Roll on BIC!

2. Likes: A FONDO (25th March 2018),truefan72 (25th March 2018)
    Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Why is Vettel's hair shaped like an ashtray?
    He had his hair cut in the car

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Anyone else really feel F1 is very sterile now? So much talking about the regs, money saving, strategy, penalties and radio conversations?

What happened to pushing a car to breaking point? To driving on the ragged edge and risking spinning or crashing? Cars blowing up and the uncertainty that a car may not make the end? Too wheel to wheel racing? To battling on track without a free DRS pass? To the art of defending and to only 6 cars finishing some races

All that added together made F1 enjoyable, unpredictable. The line up changed most seasons, dramatically sometimes. We seem to have almost no motor racing anymore. Or not what I recognise as car racing anyway. Men/women & cars at risk of mistakes and failures/accidents. That is what adds to drama for me.

While I hate seeing injuries, it has to be said motorsports rush is the risk and danger as well. That appears less evident now. Run offs the size of car parks at some circuits too.

Sorry just feel angry right now.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Oh well, a bit of bad luck today with the VSC for Mercedes. Pitting under the safety car is probably a loop hole that needs closing.
    Pitting under the VSC or SC is exactly what makes racing and the racing strategy more interesting. Yes, this gives good or bad luck, just like the engine failures or pit crew errors. What we do need in Formula 1 is VSC and SC being used very sparingly. On the opposite side of the spectrum is IndyCar, where a race can have something like seven safety car cautions per race, on a road or street course, which constantly erases the leaders advantage and turns the whole race into a farce, like it happened with IndyCar's first race of 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by longisland View Post
    I bet Mercedes are furious now. Vettel just stole Hamilton’s P1 under yellow. It’s a cheeky move but seriously, FIA needs to close this loop hole.
    That's not a loophole. That's racing, in most other motorsports too.

7. Likes: Mia 01 (25th March 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Tazio. Thoughts on espn coverage?

I am not Tazio, but espn's coverage was so sleep inducing that I switched to Univision Deportes and didn't regret it. (Gladly, I took a bunch of Spanish language courses in high school)

9. Likes: Tazio (25th March 2018),truefan72 (25th March 2018)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Pitting under the VSC or SC is exactly what makes racing and the racing strategy more interesting. Yes, this gives good or bad luck, just like the engine failures or pit crew errors. What we do need in Formula 1 is VSC and SC being used very sparingly. On the opposite side of the spectrum is IndyCar, where a race can have something like seven safety car cautions per race, on a road or street course, which constantly erases the leaders advantage and turns the whole race into a farce, like it happened with IndyCar's first race of 2018.
    For SC I agree with pitting otherwise if you need to pit just after the SC you’ll be at the back of the pack.

For VSC it’s meant to neutralise the race, it’s not meant that some driver should be gaining an advantage from it. Neutralise. That’s the whole point of VSC. I agree with pitting during SC not during VSC.

Something thay needs addressing under SC is the lapped cars unlapping themselves rule. SC worked fine for years without it. There’s no need for it.

11. Likes: truefan72 (25th March 2018),zako85 (26th March 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    What can we say about the season from what we have seen today? Firstly, the Ferrari is quick enough to fight for the championship this year. But Mercedes clearly have the edge. Mclaren is better than testing suggested. But Haas is clearly ahead of Mclaren, shame they threw it away when it really mattered. Redbull is as quick as the Ferrari, the Haas did a service for Ferrari today. The Haas getting ahead of the Redbull of Verstapenn at the start and Ricciado starting out of position really gave Ferrari a breathing space to take the fight to Mercedes.

Haas is the star of the midfield, a real shame they threw it away today. The Renault turn out not to be ahead of the Mclaren. The order behind the Redbull seem to be Haas, Mclaren then Renault.

Honda turned out to be disappointing under race conditions. One could say Mclaren made the right decision after all. Williams seem to be in a worst position than l expected. The car finished behind the Sauber, and driver wise, Sirotkin did not impress which really brings to question William's choice of driver when they had the choice of picking Wehrlien or Kyvat, both of which would have performed better than Stroll. The Sauber may surprise this season. Chances are that they may jump in front of the Williams. Leclerc really impressed.

Bottas had a bad start to his season. I can't see him in the Mercedes in 2019 at this point. It is a long season, so he has plenty of opportunity to recover and impress.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 25th March 2018 at 12:13.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

13. Likes: truefan72 (25th March 2018),zako85 (26th March 2018)
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

2018 Australian GP Thread

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Anyone else really feel F1 is very sterile now? So much talking about the regs, money saving, strategy, penalties and radio conversations?

What happened to pushing a car to breaking point? To driving on the ragged edge and risking spinning or crashing? Cars blowing up and the uncertainty that a car may not make the end? Too wheel to wheel racing? To battling on track without a free DRS pass? To the art of defending and to only 6 cars finishing some races

All that added together made F1 enjoyable, unpredictable. The line up changed most seasons, dramatically sometimes. We seem to have almost no motor racing anymore. Or not what I recognise as car racing anyway. Men/women & cars at risk of mistakes and failures/accidents. That is what adds to drama for me.

While I hate seeing injuries, it has to be said motorsports rush is the risk and danger as well. That appears less evident now. Run offs the size of car parks at some circuits too.

Sorry just feel angry right now.
    You’ve summed up many of the reasons I no longer watch Formula 1. I always thought I’d never not watch it but life gets busier and the sport makes it’s easier not to miss it. Boring regs, one team domination, and limited TV coverage which after this season will disappear from FTA altogether. I’m glad I stopped watching properly in 2015. Remember the glory years and the nostalgia I say lol.

F1 RIP

1950 - 2008

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    You’ve summed up many of the reasons I no longer watch Formula 1. I always thought I’d never not watch it but life gets busier and the sport makes it’s easier not to miss it. Boring regs, one team domination, and limited TV coverage which after this season will disappear from FTA altogether. I’m glad I stopped watching properly in 2015. Remember the glory years and the nostalgia I say lol.

F1 RIP

1950 - 2008

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Melborne track is historically a race where overtaking is difficult. Track position is so important like in Monaco. Hence, it is not a fair track to judge F1 by. But l understand the frustration. But l would say judge by mid season. I think this season is going to be a real cracker with lots twists and turns. So l would say hang in there for abit longer.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 25th March 2018 at 12:11.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

16. Likes: A FONDO (25th March 2018)