Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts

New streaming service

Not that much info yet, but looks really promising.

Apparently it’s going to be $8-$12 a month “depending on region”. I’m guessing that means $12 a month in the US. The details sound pretty good: live streams of all sessions, including selectable access to all of the onboard cameras, and also includes coverage of a bunch of other FIA races, including F2, GP3 and the Porsche Cup.

Initially browser-only, with apps to come later. Guess I’ll have to plug my laptop into the TV in the meantime…

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...n-service.html

The demo video embedded in the article looks really slick. Can select any two driver onboards in split screen, can also select one driver onboard to run underneath what I assume is the regular world feed. If this is anything like the final version, I'll be signing up for this for sure.

Not to mention, the other series coverage is a great bonus.

2. Likes: Tazio (28th February 2018),uranium (28th February 2018)
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    That's looking really great! I'll have to consider paying for it if it's as good as it looks in the video.

4. Likes: Duncan (2nd March 2018),truefan72 (28th February 2018)
    Surprised that we're a week to go and no more details. I assume that there's some kind of planned rollout with only a few days to go in conjunction with a big marketing push; there's a new video just out which I guess will be part of a media blitz in the final week. Wondering if they'll be advertising the new service alongside this?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...campaign-.html

not sure if they're planning a US-specific version with the date written the other way around. Americans may be confused as to why the season is scheduled to start on the 3rd of Dodecaquintober.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I don't know if I'm missing anything, but it's three days before the season starts and not only I am not seeing a big marketing push, but I can't find any information on F1's new streaming service on their website. I haven't looked that hard, but if it was ready for prime time, I would imagine it would be featured in a prominent position.

On top of that, I would imagine that I won't be able to catch their stream since it looks as though it won't be available in Spain. If they mentioned Belgium as one of the countries where they'd be rolling this out, I would imagine the omission means that I'll be fetching streams off Reddit for another year.

Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts
    i really hate it that we in Africa don't get the chance to pay and Enjoy formula 1. i cannot pay, i cannot install the f1 app. huh. im really Sa

Apparently it's supposed to launch March 22nd. So... about 48 hours from now. And 24 hours before FP1. I hope their signup servers have plenty of capacity to deal with everybody signing up at once...

https://www.racefans.net/2018/03/19/...f1-tv-full-qa/

The Pro product will be available for between $8-12 per month, or $100 per year. That will be converted into the relevant currencies. The Access product will be $2-3 per month, around $20 per year. And we’re in the process of beta trialling it now with the goal to launch for Australia on March 22nd.
    I'm a little skeptical. As the article says, this has been developed on a very compressed schedule and I suspect that the developers are camping in their offices with big piles of empty pizza boxes right around now. Be great if they can get it launched in time, but they're cutting it awfully fine.

Oh, and also, here's the official list of the countries in which it will be initially available:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/02/28/...ble-confirmed/

I don't see Spain listed, or any African countries on a quick scan through. Sorry guys

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    I'm hoping this service is all they claim it will be. For now, I'm keeping my channels intact until it comes through. The timing on this is great since I'm wanting to drop all but local television channels and going to streaming for most of what we watch.

ESPN can now be had on Sling TV, but from the looks of things won't allow recording. Being I don't stay up for the races these days, I'd rather record it if possible.

Liked 316 Times in 181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Oh, and also, here's the official list of the countries in which it will be initially available:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/02/28/...ble-confirmed/

I don't see Spain listed, or any African countries on a quick scan through. Sorry guys
    I would assume that every/most country that already have a tv-agreement will be blocked out.
    Sweden isn't listed either and while I am not that interested in F1 ~$10/month would be cheap enough for me
    to consider subscribing. The current $50 for Viasat sport is way too much for basically F1 and MotoGP only.
    Last edited by BleAivano; 21st March 2018 at 11:58.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

...aaand it's delayed. In a not especially shocking development, the streaming service is not going to be ready in time for Australia. No word on a new date.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/03/21/...eta-test-2018/

Formula One’s new live streaming service F1 TV Pro will not meet its target of a full public launch in time for the first race of the 2018 F1 season, RaceFans understands.

The new system will undergo real-world tests with a limited number of users during the Australian Grand Prix weekend for stress testing.