Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

WRC drivers' styles and techniques

I'm curious to know about the driving styles and techniques of the current WRC drivers. I hear often hear stuff like "the car does not fit his driving style" or "he has a unique driving style", but no further details

All that I know is that:

- Hayden Paddon likes to drive the car "more from the rear"
    - Andreas Mikkelsen does not left foot brake, but Kris Meeke, Craig Breen and Stephane Lefebvre do
    - Sebastien Ogier is great at preserving the tyres

What else? Supposedly Østberg and Latvala are also very sideways drivers?

2. Likes: kamei (20th February 2018)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Once we would have had our friend Lundefaret writing walls of text answering questions like this. I wonder if he still read this forum

4. Likes: EightGear (20th February 2018),EstWRC (20th February 2018),Sulland (21st February 2018),the sniper (20th February 2018)
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Did anyone else notice Østberg in Sweden was doing A LOT of leftfoot braking. Brakelight strobe if you watch him. Seems that he was compensating for wrong diff settings.

Tänak has made his driving style smoother in my view. Year on fast wearing softer Dmacks has done him good.

Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I'm curious to know about the driving styles and techniques of the current WRC drivers. I hear often hear stuff like "the car does not fit his driving style" or "he has a unique driving style", but no further details

All that I know is that:

- Hayden Paddon likes to drive the car "more from the rear"
    - Andreas Mikkelsen does not left foot brake, but Kris Meeke, Craig Breen and Stephane Lefebvre do
    - Sebastien Ogier is great at preserving the tyres

What else? Supposedly Østberg and Latvala are also very sideways drivers?
    All the Hyundais are very nosy drivers except for Paddon, who is very, very sideways (part of the reason why he struggled last year). Ogier and Hanninen are/were very nosy too.

Latvala used to be McRae sideways back when he began but he's started to keep it slightly cleaner, though he's around Ostberg and Paddon in sideways-ness still. I almost forgot Suninen, too!

I'd say the descending order of sideways would be Suninen, Paddon, Ostberg, Latvala and Meeke, and maybe Tanak if you classify him as such. I thought Tanak was like Latvala and Paddon but he might have become cleaner than before.

I'm glad you brought this thread up though because I'm not quite sure about a few other drivers. I've no idea about Evans' style, nor Breen's (I suppose he'd prefer nosy coming from tarmac experience but he might have adapted to the C3), nor Lappi's style, who I think might be sideways as he's Finnish but coming from R5 might have taken a cleaner approach.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Liked 12,153 Times in 5,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    Once we would have had our friend Lundefaret writing walls of text answering questions like this. I wonder if he still read this forum
    i hope he will reply, always love to read his comments about it.

great thread!
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

8. Likes: AL14 (20th February 2018),AnttiL (20th February 2018),seb_sh (20th February 2018),steve.mandzij (20th February 2018)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    I can ask him to do a guest star appearance...hang on..
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

10. Likes: steve.mandzij (20th February 2018)
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    If you want to see someone who is really sawing at the wheel in corners watch any in-car footage with Carlos (El Matador) Sainz. A lot of correction, over correction and under correction haha.

He was as aggressive with the wheel as Anttik7 is with his keyboard filing complaints.

12. Likes: AnttiL (21st February 2018),Augury (21st February 2018),b3637853 (21st February 2018),cali (21st February 2018),HenryEST (24th February 2018),steve.mandzij (20th February 2018)
    Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    I think Lappi is generally the most aggressively sideways of all the current WRC drivers from what I've seen.

Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I think Lappi is generally the most aggressively sideways of all the current WRC drivers from what I've seen.
    Are you sure? Including Paddon and Ostberg?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    Are you sure? Including Paddon and Ostberg?
    Definitely. But thats just my opinion/observation, others are free to disagree.

I guess it partly comes from the roads they develop their skills on - Finland and NZ both have quite smooth, flowing gravel roads whereas some other places have tighter, more technical or rougher rally stages that suit a style with less sliding.

16. Likes: steve.mandzij (21st February 2018)