Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eWRC Shutdown

Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts

eWRC Shutdown

https://www.ewrc-results.com/statement/

Such bad news. It already feels like I've had an arm or leg cut off, in the half and hour or so of not being able to use it.

Paywall incoming? They deserve support, that's for sure.

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ouvreur View Post
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/statement/

Such bad news. It already feels like I've had an arm or leg cut off, in the half and hour or so of not being able to use it.

Paywall incoming? They deserve support, that's for sure.
    for me too, this "closed to the public" look like paywall ahead or maybe a switch to professional business.

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Would happily subscribe to it. It's just an important part of following this sport, I'd say the most important, so paying for it would come just natural.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

4. Likes: cali (21st February 2022),matija_1988 (21st February 2022),pantealex (21st February 2022)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I would also subscribe for sure, but I think they are looking for teams, FIA, ASNs etc. to support them more directly. Just having the "heavy users" paying a monthly subscription likely wouldn't be enough, when someone is using the site to make business.

Liked 585 Times in 308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
    Would happily subscribe to it. It's just an important part of following this sport, I'd say the most important, so paying for it would come just natural.
    But how much of the data belongs to eWRC? Sounds like a legal minefield.

Liked 401 Times in 267 Posts
    This is very bad news.

8. Likes: cali (21st February 2022),pantealex (21st February 2022)
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,731 Posts
    "Last year alone, we added another 350,000 entries and 7,000 rally events"

This is huge amount of work. Maybe they should scale down a bit and only concentrate on WRC, ERC and national level rallies and skip all amateur events?
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Yes, plus the historic work can surely be left and just any 2022 events be added and updated.

11. Likes: WRC1 (21st February 2022)
    Liked 832 Times in 380 Posts
    What a shame. Hopefully Dirtfish or someone "big" can bring attention to this, they deserve a partnership, as I don't think introducing subscription for relatively few hardcore fans can change a lot. Hell, their database is who knows how many times larger than anything FIA or WRC have available, it deserves endorsement.

13. Likes: flat_right (21st February 2022)
    Liked 585 Times in 308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    "Last year alone, we added another 350,000 entries and 7,000 rally events"

This is huge amount of work. Maybe they should scale down a bit and only concentrate on WRC, ERC and national level rallies and skip all amateur events?
    Don't think the workload is the point, these are mostly volunteers who only make it happen because they enjoy doing it. It's maybe that, as Antti said, media, commercial teams and organisations use it and these are precisely the type of results they want.

The problem is, the FIA events at least have their own data services which is also probably the source anyway. They probably tolerate eWRC using their data but certainly won't be paying them to host it. If eWRC disappears it'll only drive more traffic to them.

As for Dirtfish bringing attention to it, they are probably one of the big profiteering users of the site!

Like the pros, lots of amateurs see the value in the presentation. How will it affect Pickems operation here, or Fantasy WRC, and fan analysts like myself? If I was to pay for it I would like it to be super-power-queryable and possibly the investment and change there will be too much, I don't know.

Anyway, I would like to ask Andre, or any other eWRC volunteers here for an insiders view on what it means to be involved, and what the ideal outcome is.