Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    No rules were broken, clever play. No doubt the rules will be changed to prevent it but IMO the power stage concept isn't rallying anyway, so well done for ****ing with it. The promoters did this to themselves by creating such an artificial situation for the final stage and I hope they don't change it because it could have a negative impact on others lower down the order just trying to make a finish. But no doubt they will, because I don't think they care about anything beyond their top 12 cars being on TV.

Rant over. In summary, well done Ogier, played the rulebook well. I can't believe no-one has thought to try it before.
    aka Rodger Davies

2. Likes: AndyRAC (18th February 2018),cali (18th February 2018),kamei (19th February 2018),Timmy (18th February 2018)
    Liked 134 Times in 93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge33cymru View Post
    No rules were broken, clever play. No doubt the rules will be changed to prevent it but IMO the power stage concept isn't rallying anyway, so well done for ****ing with it. The promoters did this to themselves by creating such an artificial situation for the final stage and I hope they don't change it because it could have a negative impact on others lower down the order just trying to make a finish. But no doubt they will, because I don't think they care about anything beyond their top 12 cars being on TV.

Rant over. In summary, well done Ogier, played the rulebook well. I can't believe no-one has thought to try it before.

If Meeke or some other would do that I'm sure FIA would disqualify him.

Antik would probably report him already and this thread would have 35 pages of nonsense already.

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Not the fairest act but this week was indeed too hard. First the fresh snow, then unploughed stage, then RWD historics... Sweeping the snow for three consecutive days is too big punishment for a single person.

It won't be the same any soon though, so the only rule change I find necessary is for Rally2 to start first on the road.

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Rules are rules.

But the concept of the superstage and point awarding for that one stage is for me somewhat strange.

that you after going off, can be awarded one more point as a team that comes in 8th in the whole rally is way to much.

1-3 to top 3 for the show, maybe, but I would have preferred 0,5- 1 - 2 points for top 3.
    5 points is way to much for a driver that really should not be part of the rally anymore.

Are you out, you are out.

6. Likes: A FONDO (18th February 2018),danon (18th February 2018),Maui J. (18th February 2018),seb_sh (18th February 2018)
    Liked 643 Times in 285 Posts
    Where is AnttiK7?

8. Likes: cali (18th February 2018),steve.mandzij (18th February 2018),Timmy (18th February 2018),TypeR (18th February 2018),WRC1 (19th February 2018)
    Liked 1,829 Times in 707 Posts
    I think this clearly shows the rules are broken: too many points for too many drivers in the powerstage so it makes it worth it to try something like this.

Not the nicest strategy but within the rules. I don't think this is worse than slowing down to get a better position back when the order wasn't reversed.

Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    As an M-Sport fan I am clearly biased and therefore my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt, so here goes.

Plenty of drivers who have poor events cruise on Sunday to save their tyres for the PS. You swallow a disadvantage in one place in hope to gain something somewhere else. It's tactics, it's not against any paragraph in the rulebook and it doesn't put anyone in danger so I suppose its fine.

I'm trying to imagine what my reaction would be if Hyundai or Toyota had done it and I guess I'd be fine with it. Hard to tell if that guess is accurate before it happens though.

11. Likes: andyone (18th February 2018)
    Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    to take things to extremes to exaggerate a point.

If everyone done what Ogier done.. they couldn't hold the Power Stages, because no-one wants to go first.

I'm sure there is a reg in the rulebook for unsportsmanlike conduct.

That would cover it.

Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2017 View Post
    to take things to extremes to exaggerate a point.

If everyone done what Ogier done.. they couldn't hold the Power Stages, because no-one wants to go first.

I'm sure there is a reg in the rulebook for unsportsmanlike conduct.

That would cover it.
    Not many people would do that because you'd lose the points for your result. Imagine you have the chance to gather 3 or 4 points for your overall position. Would be crazy to throw that away cause if you have one mistake in the PS you wind up with nothing. It also usually never happens because Rally2 starters go last and normally drivers at the bottom of the Top10 are Rally2 starters. There were unusually few retirements in this event.

14. Likes: A FONDO (18th February 2018),AnttiL (18th February 2018)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    Plenty of drivers who have poor events cruise on Sunday to save their tyres for the PS. You swallow a disadvantage in one place in hope to gain something somewhere else. It's tactics, it's not against any paragraph in the rulebook and it doesn't put anyone in danger so I suppose its fine.
    Exactly, it is all strategy, if the rules allow it, we should also accept it. Mikkelsen too sabotaged his PS points in Portugal 2016 if I'm not mistaken for a better road position for Poland, Tanak slowed down last year on PS to give Ogier more points. It is the strategy game all teams can play, and they do. In chess there is often similar situation - You sacrifice a bishop or horse to take the queen or check-mate.
    Last edited by stefanvv; 18th February 2018 at 19:13.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI