Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 9,337 Times in 4,957 Posts
    Colin Clark:
    Gaining competitive advantage in motorsport has very often through the years been about taking an interpretation on rules that are grey. That’s exactly what Seb Ogier did, and I have no issues with that whatsoever. Don’t shout at Ogier, shout at the rule makers.

2. Likes: WRC1 (19th February 2018)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    Not many people would do that because you'd lose the points for your result. Imagine you have the chance to gather 3 or 4 points for your overall position. Would be crazy to throw that away cause if you have one mistake in the PS you wind up with nothing. It also usually never happens because Rally2 starters go last and normally drivers at the bottom of the Top10 are Rally2 starters. There were unusually few retirements in this event.
    Rally2 starts ahead of the rest in the powerstage.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICARDO75 View Post
    Q.s. was banned because it was a supremacy by some drivers/cars and I agree with that. However, the balance came back in 2017 with the new cars and more drivers that are now on same level. In my opinion, FIA could have recognized this situation and regain the Q.S. this year, but didn't happen.
    Ogier opened a precedent, like as happened in the past with purposeful delays to not be first on the road on the next day. It is very likely that from now, more drivers could do the same in more rallies.
    I agree with that. We can all agree 2017 cars give drivers more equal performance, so now the situation is quite different from when the QS was banned. It's not like all of a sudden most drivers became as good as Ogier and can win rallies. The road conditions though are all the same. The sport rules must evolve together with the car rules.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 5,552 Times in 2,296 Posts
    Hello and goodbye

6. Likes: A FONDO (18th February 2018),Mintexmemory (18th February 2018),steve.mandzij (18th February 2018)
    Liked 1,250 Times in 679 Posts
    Very smart & clever move - and entirely within the rules. It happens in all sports, you push the rules to the absolute limit, without going over them. I sometimes wonder whether some rally fans follow any other sports, such is their naivety.

If the FiA want to close this loophole, then it has to be for next year; changing rules in the season is a definite 'no no'. Though they might also want to look at the Rally2 regs as well.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Weren't also Hyundai also using some tactics in some rallye(s) last year in Neuville's favor, hiding behind excuses with technical issues, or how about illegal car for the road without side mirrors? M-Sport are at least honest with us.
    Last edited by stefanvv; 18th February 2018 at 20:20.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Colin Clark:
    Gaining competitive advantage in motorsport has very often through the years been about taking an interpretation on rules that are grey. That’s exactly what Seb Ogier did, and I have no issues with that whatsoever. Don’t shout at Ogier, shout at the rule makers.
    In a way, I do agree. But Clark, along with other media don't ask any critical questions at all, so no wonder that it wouldn't be any negative words coming from them now either.

Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    As an M-Sport fan I am clearly biased and therefore my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt, so here goes.

Plenty of drivers who have poor events cruise on Sunday to save their tyres for the PS. You swallow a disadvantage in one place in hope to gain something somewhere else. It's tactics, it's not against any paragraph in the rulebook and it doesn't put anyone in danger so I suppose its fine.

I'm trying to imagine what my reaction would be if Hyundai or Toyota had done it and I guess I'd be fine with it. Hard to tell if that guess is accurate before it happens though.
    It is tactics, but it's unsporting. Also, at least have the balls to do it as a man. From the GPS-trackers it seems like Ogier went on a small sideroad and hid behind a little farmhouse to not be seen. That would be extremely wimpy of him. To actually hide... (if this is indeed the actual thing)

Quote Originally Posted by wrc2017 View Post
    to take things to extremes to exaggerate a point.

If everyone done what Ogier done.. they couldn't hold the Power Stages, because no-one wants to go first.

I'm sure there is a reg in the rulebook for unsportsmanlike conduct.

That would cover it.
    Not many people would do that because you'd lose the points for your result. Imagine you have the chance to gather 3 or 4 points for your overall position. Would be crazy to throw that away cause if you have one mistake in the PS you wind up with nothing. It also usually never happens because Rally2 starters go last and normally drivers at the bottom of the Top10 are Rally2 starters. There were unusually few retirements in this event.
    However, they could agree to do just this. To make a point. It would cause havoc with TV-times, spectators etc. though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Oliveira View Post
    Hello and goodbye
    Team orders in the second to last round of the championship is a different thing than to first hide, take a 4min10sec penalty to start late, then have the other guy in the team get a 4min20 sec penalty to gain back the spot in the second round of the championship.
    There is a reason why very few bats an eye on team-orders at the end of the season... Same reason why many reacts to it at the start of the year!

Liked 643 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    ... M-Sport are at least honest with us.

12. Likes: dimviii (18th February 2018)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Maybe he had a call of nature and was polite not to do it in front of everyone?
    Anyway, Evans didn`t "lose enough time".

1 FRA S. OGIER FRA J. INGRASSIA M-SPORT FORD WORLD RALLY TEAM FIESTA WRC M RC1 TC19 LATE 4:10.0

2:00.0
    GBR E. EVANS GBR D. BARRITT M-SPORT FORD WORLD RALLY TEAM FIESTA WRC M RC1 TC19A LATE 4:20.0

OA:
    10. 2 GBR E. EVANS GBR D. BARRITT M-SPORT FORD WORLD RALLY TEAM M RC1 2:57:40.5 +1:43.0 +5:27.4
    11. 1 FRA S. OGIER FRA J. INGRASSIA M-SPORT FORD WORLD RALLY TEAM M RC1 3:00:58.5 +3:18.0 +8:45.4