Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A FONDO View Post
    Pre-season testing is on, and again MCLaren is the first to interrupt the session.

Can't blame Honda for this one. ;-)
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Start of pre-season test 2 today. Mclaren broke down less than an hour after the start

Electric failure. They would come good. But not very encouraging. The chaps at Torro Rosso would be having belly ache from laughter tho.
    William Shakespeare

Verstappen also broke down again. But he did 130 laps.
    Yea, despite starting their 2018 programme a few weeks earlier than they previously do, they still seem to be lagging behind on their readiness to go racing. I heard aero bits were falling off during test One. When this new car is completely ready, l have a feeling it is going to be very competitive.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    The cars don't look that bad with that halo device from certain angles. From other angles it looks like the drivers have a toilet seat above their heads.

5. Likes: A FONDO (10th March 2018)
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Funnily enough, I think Alonso hasn't had a single test day that wasn't disrupted. Vandoorne did put in a lot of laps yesterday, but luck is not on Fernando's side.

Maybe karma caught up to him for claiming that he "doesn't need" the final day of testing?

That said, Alonso is the guy who has completed the least laps of all the regular drivers - but still, he's done 263 laps. That's 65.75 laps per day, a race distance being 66 laps. So even if McLaren have had quite a few reliability issues, it hasn't been THAT bad. It's just that most other teams have been bulletproof and so Macca are looking terrible in comparison.

8. Likes: A FONDO (10th March 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    That said, Alonso is the guy who has completed the least laps of all the regular drivers - but still, he's done 263 laps. That's 65.75 laps per day, a race distance being 66 laps. So even if McLaren have had quite a few reliability issues, it hasn't been THAT bad. It's just that most other teams have been bulletproof and so Macca are looking terrible in comparison.
    Compared to last year, it is commendable. But these recurring issues suggest it may continue through part of the season. I think the main headline here, is that Mclaren are not bulletproof. The other point is, they have not had as good a winter preparation compared to Torro Rosso that has taken the Honda engine of them.

In truth, most Mclaren fans are quietly worried for them. That said, the car seems to be rapid. And Alonso would have plenty opportunity to take the car into the fight at the front.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    If Haas have Ferraris latest engine, I have a sneaky suspicion that power is probably where their surprising pace came from in the most recent test.
    In which case I think Ferrari may well dominate in Oz.

What do you guys think?

I would be extremely surprised if Ferrari dominated in Oz. Drawing conclusions from testing is always difficult, but the Mercedes has looked mighty on cornering and they have a history of sandbagging in tests. Furthermore, there have been few technical changes from 2017, so a significant change in the pecking order seems unlikely at best.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I would be extremely surprised if Ferrari dominated in Oz. Drawing conclusions from testing is always difficult, but the Mercedes has looked mighty on cornering and they have a history of sandbagging in tests. Furthermore, there have been few technical changes from 2017, so a significant change in the pecking order seems unlikely at best.

Pirelli reckon the time differences between the tyre grades in testing were...

Mediums to softs: 0.8s
    Softs to supersofts: 0.4s
    Supersofts to ultrasofts: 0.6s
    Ultrasofts to Hypersofts: 0.7/0.8s

Ferraris 1:17.182 came on the hypersoft compound while HAAS's 1:18.360 on the Supersoft.... when you work out the compound time differences it suggests that HAAS have either made a HUGE leap forward... or that Ferrari engine is a beast.

Yes, I know, I know... it is indeed almost impossible to glean anything from testing times due to sandbagging. The apparent pace of the HAAS who might have less reasons to sandbag?.. was just a bit of an eye opener for me.

One thing is for sure, the 2018 cars are substantially quicker than last year. A 3 way title fight is all thats needed now..