Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    What i find annoying about this matter is the fact that Liberty Media listens more to a small vocal minority instead of the actual F1 fans, 90% of F1 fans wants the grid girls the remain within the sport.

2. Likes: Jag_Warrior (24th February 2018)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Oh I see that also you F1 guys are good on making storms on tea cups.
    Who cares of grid girls. lol

4. Likes: N4D13 (4th February 2018),Tazio (3rd February 2018),truefan72 (5th February 2018)
    Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    Don't really care.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

6. Likes: truefan72 (5th February 2018)
    Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Don't really care.
    I don't give a crap either.
    Last edited by Tazio; 3rd February 2018 at 08:03.
    May the forza be with you

8. Likes: donKey jote (3rd February 2018),truefan72 (5th February 2018)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    I think they'll be missed more at some races than others. For example in Austria their colourful dirndls are part of the local flavour. But at some other races they don't really add much to proceedings.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    Liberty's future vision of formula 1...?

Hey schmonkey, long time no see!!
    you haven't aged one bit!
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I don't particularly care much about this, but if I had to go for one side, I'm with Liberty here.

A quick mental exercise: how would you people feel if at, let's say, the Spanish Grand Prix, we replaced grid girls with young attractive boys? Would you feel that it's ridiculous and a silly way to bring straight women (or gay men) into the sport?

Well, so that's exactly what having grid girls at any other race is like. The fact that we're used to it doesn't make it any less ridiculous when you stop to think about it. And if you think that they serve a vital purpose other than being just sexual eye candy for straight men, ask yourself when was the last time when you saw an ugly grid girl.

12. Likes: donKey jote (4th February 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I don't particularly care much about this, but if I had to go for one side, I'm with Liberty here.

A quick mental exercise: how would you people feel if at, let's say, the Spanish Grand Prix, we replaced grid girls with young attractive boys? Would you feel that it's ridiculous and a silly way to bring straight women (or gay men) into the sport?

Well, so that's exactly what having grid girls at any other race is like. The fact that we're used to it doesn't make it any less ridiculous when you stop to think about it. And if you think that they serve a vital purpose other than being just sexual eye candy for straight men, ask yourself when was the last time when you saw an ugly grid girl.
    WOW Come on dude you are smarter than this. So male models, male ballet or concert dancers etc are gay guys by your estimation. Besides, it would not matter if they were or not. The grid person role is an opportunity for each country to demonstrate their cultural heritage. And this ought to be done by both sexes of that culture. Austria and the USA take this aspect very seriously, l wish other nations had done the same.

I think you just exemplify why Liberty lacked imagination on this matter. We live in a more emancipated and intellectually liberated world where people are constantly pushing the envelope. Traditional barriers are being torn down daily and a new world order is emerging. In this new world, men can do anything previously typecast for girls and girls can do anything that men can do, including racing a formula 1 car, running for president, flying a fighter jet or running a fortune 500 company.

The liberty side of this discussion is one that would never see females racing in F1 if they cannot see men doing the grid person job.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 4th February 2018 at 17:39.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    If political correctness is to be the way to go here , then perhaps the number should be held by a nice sturdy tripod . It could be carbon fiber , so it fits in .

But , we'll have to have someone who can put it there at the appropriate moment and then take it away before the start .

Rather than grid girls , we could call them , collectively "grid folk" .

All the drivers are men , so unless the driver requests , perhaps because he is gay or maybe because he just doesn't want to be around women at that particular moment because he was forced by his mother to eat broccoli when he was a kid , he can have a grid folk guy , instead of a nicely dressed , good looking grid folk girl to move the number sign tripod .

While he or she waits for the cues to move the sign , rather than just stand there like a slab of meat , being ogled by one and all lasciviously , perhaps they could be doing some important job like rubbing the driver's shoulders to relax them before the race .
    Many of these folk are models who have done the car show circuit , so they would be used to draping them selves over the cars to get the right angles for the massage without having to have the drivers get out .

Hemingway said something about prizefighting , auto racing , and bull fighting , didn't he ? What was that ?
    Liberty brought boxing's Buffer to the F1 stage , where the grid girl is put to shame by the number bunny , in terms of being the gratuitous sexy , every round vignette .
    Rumbles are that there may well end up being a race in the land of the tassels , Vegas , so I surely hope Liberty will champion the move to stop all those showgirls from being so exploited before they grant a race there .
    It's only right .

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    If political correctness is to be the way to go here , then perhaps the number should be held by a nice sturdy tripod . It could be carbon fiber , so it fits in .

But , we'll have to have someone who can put it there at the appropriate moment and then take it away before the start .

Rather than grid girls , we could call them , collectively "grid folk" .

All the drivers are men , so unless the driver requests , perhaps because he is gay or maybe because he just doesn't want to be around women at that particular moment because he was forced by his mother to eat broccoli when he was a kid , he can have a grid folk guy , instead of a nicely dressed , good looking grid folk girl to move the number sign tripod .

While he or she waits for the cues to move the sign , rather than just stand there like a slab of meat , being ogled by one and all lasciviously , perhaps they could be doing some important job like rubbing the driver's shoulders to relax them before the race .
    Many of these folk are models who have done the car show circuit , so they would be used to draping them selves over the cars to get the right angles for the massage without having to have the drivers get out .

Hemingway said something about prizefighting , auto racing , and bull fighting , didn't he ? What was that ?
    Liberty brought boxing's Buffer to the F1 stage , where the grid girl is put to shame by the number bunny , in terms of being the gratuitous sexy , every round vignette .
    Rumbles are that there may well end up being a race in the land of the tassels , Vegas , so I surely hope Liberty will champion the move to stop all those showgirls from being so exploited before they grant a race there .
    It's only right .
    Baggie, l cannot argue with your assessment. I share the fact that it should not be a glamour thing with scantily dress girls. It should be more of a cultural thing with girls and guys dressed in the cultural attire of the hosting nation. The choice is theirs if they wish to make it a sexy attire. Picture girls and guys in morris dancer attire as grid people at Silverstone. Besides the tripod idea would be hazardous with all those celebs, cameramen and microphone bandits doing grid walks.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare