Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Grid Girls in F1 1950-2017 R.I.P

www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42890261

Do you think Liberty media are going to kill the sport of Formula 1?

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    it feels like an appropriate decision for the times, and one that F1 had to make.!
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42890261
    Not for this, as it will not affect the competition in any way, shape or form.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Those normal white girls were not in correlation with modern american style. New ones must be black, lesbians and having some kind of disability.

4. Likes: steve.mandzij (1st February 2018),Sub_Skoda (2nd February 2018)
    Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts

6. Likes: zako85 (2nd February 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I tried to not care much about this. But l wonder what the reason is for the grid girls becoming politically incorrect? Was it because they were girls or simply because the human held position pole [whatever you call it] is no longer required?

I am concerned for the girls that make a living from this type of work. Also, this has become a mainstay tradition for motor racing the world over. Hence, l kind of think Liberty are fighting a pointless battle here. If they feel strongly about it, they could have also have some men pole bearers as well or a combination of. Some men would love an opportunity to earn money from this sort of work.

The decision would not win them any favours, because if they are seeking to appear pro-women dignity, they would be punishing women that earn a living doing this sort of work to make that point. I think it would have been more thoughtful to recognize that this is a form of earning a living and to expand it to make it available to men. You cannot argue that it lowers the dignity of women if men are also doing it.

That said, what would you rather happened? Men pole bearers or no pole bearers at all?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 1st February 2018 at 14:52.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    It's hard to know upon which side to stand on this one .

Generally , these girls are models , and make their money based on their looks .
    This is the glamour industry , and it's not hard to argue that adding beautiful people to any event adds glamour .

I'd like to know just how many girls apply for these few positions , as it would show just how much the postings are coveted .

The sad messages being sent from ex-grid girls right now speak of great times , no harassment , and good pay , so , hardly an indictment of any exploitation .
    More a stab at the politically correct landscape , where the "casting couch" sits central in the room , pushing "sleeping your way to the top" to the side .

Perhaps a polling of the crowd that watches F1 would have been the most truly politically correct way to do this .
    Some good debate would put the very same message out . It would show concern , but at the same time , ask the very people watching if that's a part of what they wanted to watch .

It would have , and perhaps still could , put F1 in the limelight for provoking the discussion , rather than jerking it's corporate knee .

I get why the practice isn't universally liked . It's kind of obvious .

But , if it's OK to be a model , to stand pretty beside a shiny car , to strut a runway , or , indeed , to put on make-up at all to enhance one's looks , then surely there must be some degrees of what is considered to be good and bad in it all .

Maybe I'm a dinosaur , but I'd rather watch a grid girl deliver the hats and champagne to the podium than some dirty mechanic or some baggy pants dignitary .
    It's all a part of the cache , where the drivers take the risks , to be rewarded with the money , the glamour , the excesses of the position , and the envy of every young man(or woman) who's ever sat beside another car revving the engine at a red light .

And , after all that rant , I think I do know upon which side of the fence I'm sitting .
    As long as they are not forced in any way to do it , I think they add to the show .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joestlaachmkr View Post
    www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42890261

Do you think Liberty media are going to kill the sport of Formula 1?
    It won't help matters.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A FONDO View Post
    Those normal white girls were not in correlation with modern american style. New ones must be black, lesbians and having some kind of disability.
    Don't kid yourself, I'm sure plenty of those "normal white girls" are full on 'barnacle bumpers'
    May the forza be with you

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Liberty's future vision of formula 1...?

“If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

12. Likes: AndyL (3rd February 2018),BleAivano (3rd February 2018),Jag_Warrior (24th February 2018)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    What will be next? No more playing of national anthems for the winners as this is deemed too nationalistic?
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

14. Likes: Jag_Warrior (24th February 2018)