Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Btw. do you remember Daniel Carlsson and the "WRADD" campaign? (Rally drivers against drunk driving).

Was some epic PR when the year after he got stopped by the police driving drunk.

Liked 189 Times in 74 Posts
    Antti do you pretend to not understand or you really dont? Nobody is protecting here going 170kmh on opposite side of road or anything like this. What gets people ticked off is your black or white attitude, comparing this kind of violation to Tänaks harmless fun and demanding excessive punishment for this. If you really cant tell the difference then perhaps its better if you stay home and dont go outside at all. Because guess what - in real world punishment depends on severity of crime. You get one punishment for murder and police may overlook at all if you cross the road in wrong place but dont endanger anybody (including yourself).

3. Likes: cali (29th January 2018),the sniper (29th January 2018),WRC1 (29th January 2018)
    Liked 241 Times in 66 Posts
    A lot of tough internet warriors here. This videoclip probably fuels a negative attitude towards motorsport among people who are not passionate about it. So it's perfectly logical to be a fan and at the same time hope this doesn't happen too often.

About the phone: nobody should ever watch his phone while driving. You're driving something that potentially can kill somebody.
    Ouninpohja!

5. Likes: AnttiL (29th January 2018),mknight (29th January 2018)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    *facepalm*

This is totally the same.

Good luck "protecting our sport" once a rallydriver causes a crash on a publlic road while he is doing 170 km/h cause he "has to catch time control"
    its exactly the same.According to your sceptic this marshall is at possible position for accident.Even the crowd.
    Nobody said that speeding with 170km/h at public roads is right.Only you said something like that.
    Tanak was inside speed limits,and whatever possible danger could happen to these guys,could happen to everybody public driver with speed inside limits.
    Yes Tanak can avoid much better a possible accident to happen,from every public driver out there,even sideways.

7. Likes: cali (29th January 2018),the sniper (29th January 2018)
    Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CahunaKiwi View Post
    The problem with everyone here saying "it was safe, he was in control, it's being blown out of proportion" is that to the general public who know nothing about motorsport and see this happening it reinforces all the negative stereotypes about boy racers and people hooning around in cars. It reflects badly on the sport when competitors drive like this in a public setting (not on closed roads) and tars legitimate motorsport competitors with the same brush.

I have been organising club motorsport events in NZ for over 25 years (and involved in the club longer than that). We have in the past lost the use of public roads because of competitors driving on the touring route in exactly this manner, with residents who saw it putting in complaints to council or the private property owners that prevented us from using the same roads in the future.
    Exactly. And that's my main issue here. In my opening post I made it clear that this has nothing to do with Ott not being in control of the situation or danger being created in the video. It's about the image portrayed of the sport. And for me the main issue is that it goes so much against how I as a fan see WRC and just gives the plain wrong image to someone who doesn't understand the sport. In essence, for me Tänak with his behaviour on the video is bringing the sport into disrepute to use the FIA language.

9. Likes: AnttiL (29th January 2018),Integrale (29th January 2018)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Well yes, but the nonsense about ruining ones season with DSQ and bans from future events is too much. Normal people talk and improve themselves, if not, get a logical punishment...a fine for example.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    While I agree with most of what my namesake is saying here, I think a fine and a warning would be enough, issuing bans or taking away points would do harm to the sport itself.

12. Likes: bf1_IRL (31st January 2018),Integrale (29th January 2018),satukata (29th January 2018),the sniper (29th January 2018)
    Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    A fine would be in place.
    If you did this in Norway you would get a minimum of 3 months without license, not a question about it.
    If you get caught in a parking lot with nobody around you can get away with it though.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

14. Likes: AnttiL (29th January 2018),satukata (29th January 2018)
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Why is this controversial? He saw some spectators filming and gave them a bit of a show. All of us would enjoy it if we were there.

16. Likes: WRC1 (29th January 2018)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    While I agree with most of what my namesake is saying here, I think a fine and a warning would be enough, issuing bans or taking away points would do harm to the sport itself.
    A fine for what? Speeding? The guy was problably under speed limit

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

18. Likes: RM98 (29th January 2018),WRC1 (29th January 2018)