Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    asking for harsh penalties?
    I hope you never become a cop or judge... you would shoot or hang people for farting. :$
    I am definitely for harsh penalties for this type of things, but in the sporting context. I have never talked about hanging people here. And rally organisers in WRC have taken action against these kinds of incidents all the way from the 1970s to 2000s, for much lesser infringements as well. Those instances have just usually necessitated a police involvement at first so there hasn't been any kind of consistency whatsoever, when it comes to giving penalties for this type of antics. Stig Blomqvist was disqualified from the 1975 1000 Lakes for speeding on a road section. Hannu Mikkola was given a five minute penalty in 1979 Monte Carlo for doing an illegal overtake, which he denies having done to this day. Retrospectively looking, that penalty ended up costing Mikkola the 1979 World Championship, the first Drivers' World Championship in history. Also Tommi Mäkinen was given a five minute penalty in 2003 New Zealand for speeding 50kph over the speed limit in an urban area. Colin McRae did have to go to the FIA court in Paris in 1996 for driving recklessly in service area in Argentina.

Let's take an F1 example. Please note this example refers to consequences caused by lack of action, in no way I am comparing this incident or the severity of it to Tänak's case. I am a great fan of Ayrton Senna, but that doesn't change my opinion that after what he did in 1990 Suzuka (deliberately ram into Alain Prost in high speed, in order to win the World Championship), the correct action would have been to strip Senna of his 1990 World Championship and he should have been banned for the whole of the 1991 seson as well. But no action was taken, none. Amazingly, some of the motorsport press actually heralded Senna and blamed Prost for disrespecting the sport for daring to whine about Senna. And what happened a few years later, a certain fella named Michael Schumacher brandished similar driving code in World Championship deciders (even if the Schumacher incidents weren't nearly as serious as Senna's in 1990). But if Senna had been strongly punished for 1990, I don't think Schumacher would have tried to pull his tricks later.

In Tänak's case I would just disqualify him for Monte and ban him for a couple of rallies. It would be a very harsh penalty given the history of extremely inconsistent dealings with this type of incidents and sure it would send shockwaves. But it could be the beginning of more consistent and clearer penalties for road section silliness that would keep drivers better in line in the future and when looking back, it could be seen as a very important decision for the sport.
    Last edited by AnttiK7; 7th February 2018 at 10:46.

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Again, you see only Tänak's mistakes but Ogier and others you just leave out. Lets ban them all from Monte and ban them from couple of rallies. You cant select just one to be punished if others did same things.
    Every post you prove, its about you not liking Tänak and not about what he or others have done.

3. Likes: HenryEST (7th February 2018),WRC1 (7th February 2018)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    This thing has been laughed out in most places, probably also by the FIA or we`d have already read their answer. Stop feeding it...
    Last edited by Tarmop; 7th February 2018 at 11:54.

5. Likes: bandit12 (7th February 2018),Epik (7th February 2018),HenryEST (7th February 2018),Kaps (7th February 2018),pantealex (7th February 2018),WRC1 (7th February 2018)
    Liked 300 Times in 127 Posts
    The only ones who complain are the Finns. Coincidence? What happened to you? where did the people of Simo Häyhä disappear? Now there is only complains and whining. O tempora o mores.

edit. And yes, i registered myself just to say that.

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post
    where did the people of Simo Häyhä disappear?
    Ooh, now I feel so offended as there's nothing cooler than to be a sniper in the Winter War.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

Liked 300 Times in 127 Posts
    You're right. There is not nothing cooler.

Liked 643 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiK7 View Post
    In Tänak's case I would just disqualify him for Monte and ban him for a couple of rallies. It would be a very harsh penalty given the history of extremely inconsistent dealings with this type of incidents and sure it would send shockwaves...

Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post
    The only ones who complain are the Finns. Coincidence? What happened to you? where did the people of Simo Häyhä disappear? Now there is only complains and whining. O tempora o mores.

edit. And yes, i registered myself just to say that.
    I'm not Finnish and I'm with AnttiK7 eventhough I probably stand for milder penatlies. I don't think he is targetting Tanak specifically either, in his eyes his slide was a bigger infriction than say Ogier's looking at the phone while driving, which is debatable. Debatable as in a viewpoint you can disagree with yet not forcing anyone to take out the big guns for disagreeig.

Besides, Tanak after all still drives for a Finnish team, so I doubt he'd want to him see fail. It would make more sense for him to go after Ogier or Mikkelsen if he wanted to disadvantage non-Finnish championship prospects.
    Last edited by Watson; 7th February 2018 at 20:29.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    It`s quite obvious that it is more personal, but you believe that...

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiK7 View Post
    In Tänak's case I would just disqualify him for Monte and ban him for a couple of rallies. It would be a very harsh penalty given the history of extremely inconsistent dealings with this type of incidents and sure it would send shockwaves. But it could be the beginning of more consistent and clearer penalties for road section silliness that would keep drivers better in line in the future and when looking back, it could be seen as a very important decision for the sport.
    You still haven't given us any sensible reason why Tanak should be singled out for such punishment instead of another driver.

You talk about the beginning of more consistent and clearer penalties and yet you want to pick one driver seemingly at random to make an example of with extreme punishment?

13. Likes: cali (8th February 2018),danon (7th February 2018),leighton323 (8th February 2018)