Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Can anyone say if he could have actually gone much slower and without such sideways motion?
    To me it looks a lot like a 400bhp car, incredibly sensitive throttle, on tarmac tyres, potentially without studs, going uphill (more power required) and cornering.... on snow.
    Everything happens a lot slower on snow and a slide takes a lot less speed and cornering force than it would have done on gravel or dry tarmac.
    Possibly a lot safer like that than if he just tried to cruise up and had potential understeer issues?
    Yeah, it may look like he is close to the guy on the corner, but it’s a lot easier to let a car drift away from that chap, who is on the inside of the corner, than it would have been to get the car to make a tighter turn, if the chap was on the outside.
    I get it might look quite dramatic, but I really don’t think it is.

2. Likes: cali (29th January 2018),dimviii (29th January 2018),EstWRC (29th January 2018),HenryEST (31st January 2018),the sniper (29th January 2018),WRC1 (29th January 2018)
    Liked 241 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RM98 View Post
    Why is this controversial? He saw some spectators filming and gave them a bit of a show. All of us would enjoy it if we were there.
    Because there exist people who don't like rallysport. Probably most of the politicians in my country would rather have it abolished. Don't give them ammunition, it's not that hard.
    Ouninpohja!

4. Likes: mknight (29th January 2018)
    Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RM98 View Post
    Why is this controversial? He saw some spectators filming and gave them a bit of a show. All of us would enjoy it if we were there.
    We as enthusiasts enjoy watching that car control. But what if those people parked and filming were not motorsport enthusiasts and were instead filming because they were looking for something controversial? They see a competitor "out of control" on a public road. They record it and send the video to the media. The media latch onto it. Hundreds more people who dislike cars and motorsport start voicing their displeasure. Pressure comes on politicians and council to prevent the event from running next year. Toyota gets negative publicity. Motorsport gets a negative image in the public's mind (because we are all "hoons" out there endangering the public for our own, selfish enjoyment).

It's all about the image being portrayed. Arguably top-level competitors should be held to a higher level of accountability than normal citizens because they represent the sport as a whole to the general public. I don't think anyone should get a ban for doing something like this but they should definitely get a warning at the least. And as I said earlier I think that the organisers should be making sure their time schedules are planned such that competitors don't have to drive like this simply to get to the next time control on time.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Can anyone say if he could have actually gone much slower and without such sideways motion?
    To me it looks a lot like a 400bhp car, incredibly sensitive throttle, on tarmac tyres, potentially without studs, going uphill (more power required) and cornering.... on snow.
    Everything happens a lot slower on snow and a slide takes a lot less speed and cornering force than it would have done on gravel or dry tarmac.
    Possibly a lot safer like that than if he just tried to cruise up and had potential understeer issues?
    Yeah, it may look like he is close to the guy on the corner, but it’s a lot easier to let a car drift away from that chap, who is on the inside of the corner, than it would have been to get the car to make a tighter turn, if the chap was on the outside.
    I get it might look quite dramatic, but I really don’t think it is.
    Sticker says studs, but otherwise correct, they aren`t sweden tires.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CahunaKiwi View Post
    We as enthusiasts enjoy watching that car control. But what if those people parked and filming were not motorsport enthusiasts and were instead filming because they were looking for something controversial? They see a competitor "out of control" on a public road. They record it and send the video to the media. The media latch onto it. Hundreds more people who dislike cars and motorsport start voicing their displeasure. Pressure comes on politicians and council to prevent the event from running next year. Toyota gets negative publicity. Motorsport gets a negative image in the public's mind (because we are all "hoons" out there endangering the public for our own, selfish enjoyment).

It's all about the image being portrayed. Arguably top-level competitors should be held to a higher level of accountability than normal citizens because they represent the sport as a whole to the general public. I don't think anyone should get a ban for doing something like this but they should definitely get a warning at the least. And as I said earlier I think that the organisers should be making sure their time schedules are planned such that competitors don't have to drive like this simply to get to the next time control on time.
    They shouldn`t stop in a dangerous place then, where it`s tricky to pass because of ice and a 4wd WRC car can get a bit wild. Most definitely they were encouraging fans.

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CahunaKiwi View Post
    And as I said earlier I think that the organisers should be making sure their time schedules are planned such that competitors don't have to drive like this simply to get to the next time control on time.
    I don't see why people think this was a factor. Seems clear to me he was just hanging the back out for the fans.

Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    I am in favour of a bigger punishment simply because it would mean something then. It would send out a message to other drivers as well as to the public that this kind of road behavior is not tolerated and WRC as a sport does not represent or align itself with this type of road driving. I would at the very least take his points away, no one is sending him to jail.

Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    I don't see why people think this was a factor. Seems clear to me he was just hanging the back out for the fans.
    I'm raising it as a possible factor, not a definite cause - I don't know as I haven't looked at the time schedule. I do know that in the past unreasonable time schedules have definitely been a factor in this type of behaviour.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    its exactly the same.According to your sceptic this marshall is at possible position for accident.Even the crowd.
    Nobody said that speeding with 170km/h at public roads is right.Only you said something like that.
    Tanak was inside speed limits,and whatever possible danger could happen to these guys,could happen to everybody public driver with speed inside limits.
    Yes Tanak can avoid much better a possible accident to happen,from every public driver out there,even sideways.
    Case a) Showing-off in a closed-out parking space for racecars with race-marshalls close and the crowd behind a barrier being watched by the same marshalls.

Case b) "Showing-off" on a public road close to people standing in the open next to a car

Totally the same.

12. Likes: Hartusvuori (29th January 2018)
    Liked 296 Times in 135 Posts
    few montes back, there was this video of Loeb passing by a gendarme by what it looked like only few centimeters. Everybody went crazy and people said this was very unsafe situation and really bad things could have happened, what if blabla blabla. Few hours later the onboard video came out, turn out that the gendarme was walking away from the racing line, loeb could see him from a fair distance, and he was in total control with nothing unsafe... So i would say that this short clip from Tanak is very much exagerated by the angle, the noise, whatever you name it. And good luck to find any formal offense to the code de la route to give him a fine. Maybe not putting his indicators when over taking the car?

14. Likes: cali (29th January 2018),the sniper (29th January 2018)