Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Liked 158 Times in 100 Posts
    This thread surely isn't serious, is it? As a rally spectator I think its brilliant to see the cars/drivers putting on a little show for the rally fans on the road sections. Yeah, absolutely reckless behavior isn't appropriate, but a little slide for some guys at the side of the road? That's awesome!

This sort of thing has been happening since stage rallying began: the only difference now is that everyone has a camera phone to record the antics and the internet has enabled it be shared with the world.
    "If in doubt... flat out!"

2. Likes: GravelBen (1st February 2018),maailmameister (1st February 2018)
    Liked 643 Times in 285 Posts

4. Likes: steve.mandzij (1st February 2018)
    Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiK7 View Post
    First of all it seems to me you are confusing Tänak and Mikkelsen because Tänak most certainly hasn't lifted off by the time he reaches the camera. Note that Tänak's driving on the road section begins at 1:20 in the video, Ogier is followed by Mikkelsen in the Hyundai. But here's some data. I timed the moment from which Ogier appears into view in the left hander to the time he reaches the camera at about 6 seconds. Tänak does the same distance in about 4 seconds so in that stretch of road his average speed is almost twice the speed of Ogier. Still, I don't approve of the kind of slides either on road section that Ogier shows, I definitely agree with that. But like I said, the speed he does on the video is barely over half of what Tänak is doing.
    Watch it again and listen carefully to the engine - Ogier slows down much earlier for sure (maybe because he had a big slide and decided to back off), Tanak accelerates out of the corner initially but you can hear the engine on the overrun as he passes the camera, it wouldn't sound like that if he was still accelerating.

I wasn't talking about faster average speed, just the speed and commitment while sliding through the corner - Tanak does accelerate exiting the corner and is going faster past the camera at the end.

Of course if you're trying to say one is more dangerous than the other, Ogier is drifting past a van full of people and Tanak has a clear road as far as we can tell

In general though I think its what we call 'a storm in a teacup' on this side of the world... why am I even still replying?

6. Likes: HenryEST (1st February 2018),janvanvurpa (1st February 2018),maailmameister (1st February 2018)
    Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
    This thread surely isn't serious, is it? As a rally spectator I think its brilliant to see the cars/drivers putting on a little show for the rally fans on the road sections. Yeah, absolutely reckless behavior isn't appropriate, but a little slide for some guys at the side of the road? That's awesome!

This sort of thing has been happening since stage rallying began: the only difference now is that everyone has a camera phone to record the antics and the internet has enabled it be shared with the world.
    I respect and understand your point of view but my view on that is that just because something has 'always' been the case, doesn't mean it should continue to be so. And that applies to many things in life. The internet and camera phones you mention make this kind of behaviour all the more problematic. I see it as unnecessary baggage for the sport in 2018.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Can a moderator close this thread and end the agony please?

9. Likes: cali (1st February 2018),dimviii (1st February 2018),Epik (1st February 2018),EstWRC (1st February 2018),HenryEST (1st February 2018),maailmameister (1st February 2018),Rallyper (1st February 2018),sindroms (1st February 2018),steve.mandzij (1st February 2018)
    Liked 12,172 Times in 5,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    Amen

11. Likes: AL14 (1st February 2018),dimviii (1st February 2018),HenryEST (1st February 2018),leighton323 (2nd February 2018),maailmameister (1st February 2018),Rallyper (1st February 2018),sindroms (1st February 2018),STI69 (1st February 2018)
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiK7 View Post
    But here's some data. I timed the moment from which Ogier appears into view in the left hander to the time he reaches the camera at about 6 seconds. Tänak does the same distance in about 4 seconds so in that stretch of road his average speed is almost twice the speed of Ogier.
    Ogier is twice slower cuz he is sliding and Tanak is going straight. Physics.
    Last edited by JJFrentzen; 1st February 2018 at 11:43.

Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    I want to see where it ends up. Khalid Al-Qassimi will become the WDC?
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by estwrc View Post
    amen
    just bloody stop posting to this topic and it will die!

15. Likes: steve.mandzij (1st February 2018)
    Liked 40 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    I want to see where it ends up. Khalid Al-Qassimi will become the WDC?
    No in Antti eyes everybody can be WDC but not Tanak because he has some personal anger to him. For him Tanak slides are much more worser and dangerous, he already measures the time on the videos. Doesnt matter that Ogier slides while other car is driving opposite direction. Only tanak is bad...
    I think he allready cut out only Tanak form video and sent it to FIA.
    I think you also must speed up this video before you send it out, looks even more dangerous.

17. Likes: cali (1st February 2018),HenryEST (1st February 2018),janvanvurpa (1st February 2018)