Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Not quite. I see it more as digging up dirt on rally; hard to get positive results from it.
    That is kind of Streisandeffect. Inverted.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

2. Likes: Rally Power (30th January 2018)
    Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    That`s the case, it wasn`t rally speed, even not maximum allowed roadspeed. Just a normal situation on a slippery curve, especially when you have a 380bhp rallycar with on/off clutch and throttle, in a setup really not suitable for winter (18/65-18 tyres, stiff) plus have to slow down to assess the situation ("great" place to stop a car indeed). And when a 4wd is already going sideways you push the pedal even more to stear it. Simple physics. Latvala himself compared those roadconditions on Saturday, saying that it`s bad even in a roadcar and much worse for them.

Wales was far more worse, because that fence couldn`t hold a falling 100 kg person, let alone a rallycar having fun, faster than in this episode probably.
    Oh come on. As if he didn't know at what speed/throttle-position/steering-lock the car would start to go sideways. That's a miserable excuse, he clearly knew what he was doing. If he was going over or under the speedlimit is not relevant, it was dangerous behavour. Besides, every roadlaw in the world says to adjust the speed to the roadcondition and a bunch of paragraphs considering dangerous manouvers.

To put it simple, had he run someone over and killed that person sliding in that corner he would go to prison for negligent homicide.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Oh well...
    For the tenth time, there was nobody to endanger, he slowed down and assessed the situation before. Ofc he could have gone more slowly, he could have even pushed his car. Every car goes a bit sideways from time to time in these kind of conditions. If you haven`t driven in such conditions i can understand you.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 30th January 2018 at 13:42.

5. Likes: Rallyper (30th January 2018),the sniper (30th January 2018)
    Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Not quite. I see it more as digging up dirt on rally; hard to get positive results from it.
    How is it digging dirt up on rally if I point out an issue in a WRC driver code of conduct, which has a possibility to cause serious problems for rallying in the future? I'm just pointing the dirt and suggesting that the dirt is cleaned up now when it's still small and not left alone. I'd much rather FIA took action now against something like this and not against something much more serious and damaging for the sport in the future which could have been prevented earlier. Because this kind of stuff is completely unnecessary for the sport, it has nothing to do with it.

I am as passionate about rallying as the next guy, but I think that passion must be still controlled somehow and not allowed to cloud common sense altogether. And besides showboating in public roads has nothing to do with passion for rallying to me, not even if I am looking at it only with my rally passion glasses firmly on. Maybe it's also a cultural difference in some cases. I know the story of an Italian spectator who was so happy to have their leg broken by Walter Röhrl in San Remo 1984 and admittedly it's a bit different to my concept of passion towards rallying. And I am afraid the more we have this kind of "passion" for rallying, the sooner the sport will die.

7. Likes: Allez Andruet (31st January 2018),AnttiL (30th January 2018)
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    My friends, you can all put your black dresses on next rally , take your signs #metoo and go and have a meeting in front of Toyota or FIA. Doesn't help much this whining here!

9. Likes: Augury (30th January 2018),cali (30th January 2018),pantealex (30th January 2018),Rallyper (30th January 2018),the sniper (30th January 2018)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiK7 View Post
    How is it digging dirt up on rally if I point out an issue in a WRC driver code of conduct, which has a possibility to cause serious problems for rallying in the future? I'm just pointing the dirt and suggesting that the dirt is cleaned up now when it's still small and not left alone. I'd much rather FIA took action now against something like this and not against something much more serious and damaging for the sport in the future which could have been prevented earlier. Because this kind of stuff is completely unnecessary for the sport, it has nothing to do with it.

I am as passionate about rallying as the next guy, but I think that passion must be still controlled somehow and not allowed to cloud common sense altogether. And besides showboating in public roads has nothing to do with passion for rallying to me, not even if I am looking at it only with my rally passion glasses firmly on. Maybe it's also a cultural difference in some cases. I know the story of an Italian spectator who was so happy to have their leg broken by Walter Röhrl in San Remo 1984 and admittedly it's a bit different to my concept of passion towards rallying. And I am afraid the more we have this kind of "passion" for rallying, the sooner the sport will die.
    Genuine question pal: have you considered contacting Toyota or the FIA to voice your concerns?
    If you really are serious about protecting the sport and you feel driving like this will damage it, then surely you had better aim your views at them, rather than this message board.

11. Likes: Rallyper (30th January 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    Oh well...
    For the tenth time, there was nobody to endanger, he slowed down and assessed the situation before. Ofc he could have gone more slowly, he could have even pushed his car. Every car goes a bit sideways from time to time in these kind of conditions. If you haven`t driven in such conditions i can understand you.
    Of course the people were in danger. As you like to point out the road was very slippery. I spend enough time of the year in those weather conditions to know how easy it is to trip over and fall on my face. That could have happened to those people standing behind the stranded car. Or Tanak could've lost control. You see how quickly drivers misjudge a corner by all the slipups and spins in the actual rally.

I think some of you guys think they'd be disloyal to the whole sport if you raised your hand and said 'That is no good'. But it isn't. It puts the sport in a bad light if you persist defending this or any other dangerous behaviour on roadstages.

Quote Originally Posted by sidrun View Post
    My friends, you can all put your black dresses on next rally , take your signs #metoo and go and have a meeting in front of Toyota or FIA. Doesn't help much this whining here!
    Nothing that is ever said here makes any change. That's not why we're here. We're here to discuss opinions. Some more civilised than others.

Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidrun View Post
    I really don't understand the need to bring up completely different and very serious issues to this topic, while making fun of them. We are here to talk about rallying.

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Genuine question pal: have you considered contacting Toyota or the FIA to voice your concerns?
    If you really are serious about protecting the sport and you feel driving like this will damage it, then surely you had better aim your views at them, rather than this message board.
    Toyota no, but FIA yes definitely. I would love to get a proper FIA clarification on this and how it is in line with their road traffic safety campaigns. And as far as I can see the point of the existence of this forum is to share our opinions and raise discussion about various things related to rallying, so I don't see any problem here whatsoever. Even if nothing happens because of these discussions, now more people are aware of the whole issue and the snowball rolls. It was only because the link was posted on another forum that I even found out about this myself. It more seems like the problem is that I have undesirable views on the matter for some people.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiK7 View Post
    So just because the world has far more serious issues than Ott Tänak showing off with his Yaris in the French alps, we shouldn't be discussing about it on a forum dedicated to rallying and we should talk about the US politics on here instead? And I'd prefer if everyone left out all the silly sexist comments as well from the discussion.
    I didn't say we shouldn't discuss..Don't twist words and pretend I did then pretend outrage.

I suggested that you are over-reacting in overblown outrage..Like what we call "drama-queens".

Special stages are for fast rally driving and also for showboating for the fans, if you want to do that kind of stuff. You can make big slides all you want or make extra big jumps for the fans all you want on the special stages. Remember Panizzi doing a 360 donut in the middle of a stage on his way to winning Rally Catalunya? But liaison sections are for driving according to the road traffic rules. As simple and clear as that.
    Thank you for explaining all that..Excellent job of mansplianing.

None of that bullshit what Tänak gives us on the video. If the special stages are not enough for him, then it's time for him to hand in his competition license

Simple as that... black or white..One thing or the other...just like your exaggeration above

For the past few years FIA has being campaigning very heavily on road traffic safety and turning a blind eye to this kind of behavior would be hypocritical in my opinion, as well as damaging for the sport in the long run.

So if I as a rally fan am worked up about someone doing that, then what is someone who doesn't care about rallying at all going to think about when coming across this type of antics and showmanship on a public road?
    I cannot say what a non-rally fan is going think...that is an absurd question. I can say that my experience with non-fans is this : it doesn't matter ANYTHING anybody does...simple logic. They are already anti-rally, and as we see in "real life" almost nothing changes people's minds...The mere presence of a car with a lot of stickers and crackly exhaust probably already "triggers" outrage in them...regardless of what the car does...or doesn't do...people are not particularly rational.

All sponsored by Toyota and Microsoft. Not exactly the best publicity for the sport, to say the least. And that is the main issue here.
    Agreed..Not the best publicity..
    But hardly anything to get at all excited about....a little squiggle on a hugely wide smooth road..people not even laughing just a little snicker from what we can hear..those present didn't seem upset at all..
    Maybe take that as a hint of much you should be reacting...

Rather than jumping up and down writing pages and pages of angry indignation.
    Learn from the French. giggle, shrug and get on with life..
    (I say this not as a spectator or a fan but as a competitor who spent 2 seasons racing in France. After 7-8 years in a country equally Lutheran to where you live. Things are different in different countries, not better or worse, just different. Learn to roll the eyes back, smile and shrug)0
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

16. Likes: Franky (30th January 2018),jliivak (30th January 2018),Rallyper (30th January 2018),salamaja (30th January 2018)