Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,829 Times in 707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L555MAT View Post
    Lets be fair Mcrae and Sainz were both well past their primes at this point. Mcrae in his prime was arguable the fastest driver ever in the WRC (not nessecarily the best). Sainz is definately a contender for the GOAT imho.
    they weren't that "vintage" and Loeb was in his first full season, I doubt anyone expected him to beat them at the time.

2. Likes: cali (29th January 2018)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Lets be fair Mcrae and Sainz were both well past their primes at this point. Mcrae in his prime was arguable the fastest driver ever in the WRC (not nessecarily the best). Sainz is definately a contender for the GOAT imho.
    Mcrae was 35, so not beyond his prime, at 35 loeb was winning titles with ease...

Sainz is certainly one of the sports greats but far away from even remotely to be considered as the best ever, lets not forget than during his last years
    telefonica was the only reason he had a seat and not his skills.

Liked 134 Times in 93 Posts
    Well Sainz win dakar two times, Loeb didn't manage to do that one time and probably never will after Peugeot drop. And Sainz is one old dude now and that race is for my opinion hardest than WTCC, Rallycross combined.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESTR View Post
    Well Sainz win dakar two times, Loeb didn't manage to do that one time and probably never will after Peugeot drop. And Sainz is one old dude now and that race is for my opinion hardest than WTCC, Rallycross combined.
    yes but what dakar has to do with the greatest of all times in the WRC...

for example Loeb has the absolute record in pikes peak as well which i think its far bigger achievement than winning a marathon rally where navigation and even luck has much bigger influence on the final result than rally speed. Gronholm went there as well as WRX and got his ass kicked by burger boys.

who else has wins and records in so many disiplines other than Loeb in order to discredit him ?

6. Likes: cali (29th January 2018)
    Liked 832 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESTR View Post
    Sainz has 2 Dakar victories in how many attempts? Like 12? Really cannot compare that.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    The fact is that while at the end of their career those guys were clearly beaten by Loeb, no one did the same with Loeb himself, not even Ogier who is the only one capable to keep the comparison in my opinion.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Why is this topic coming back over and over again? Why do people have a need to downplay achievements of the best?
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

10. Likes: cali (29th January 2018),René (29th January 2018)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Loeb was the best of his time. End of story.

One of the things he was best at, was to study the route in advance and choose a few to do max attack on. He often suddenly built a big lead with that tactic.
    Ogier does some of the same.

Some other important of the whys are already listed:

- he beat ALL of his team-mates
    - he beat the following champions: McRae (same car), Sainz (same car), Makinen, Solberg (except for 2003), Gronholm - it's true some of them were at the end or final part of their careers but in total they had 10 drivers titles between them
    - he beat Hirvonen (same car), Latvala, Ogier (same car - too bad we didn't get more battles when Ogier went VW) all of who would have been champions at least once during the time Loeb was competing if he wasn't there
    - he is recognized as a good car developer
    - he has a very good safety record
    - he was able to adjust his speed very well according to conditions
    - he won with 3 car generations with different technical regulations in very different conditions in all types of rallies.

lets see this year how he will tacle the C3. But I think he is tough to do this. If he fails, people will use that against him.
    Last edited by Sulland; 28th January 2018 at 16:24.

12. Likes: Rally Power (29th January 2018),steve.mandzij (29th January 2018)
    Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
    Loeb has won the most rally of all and that makes him great, but it's another thing he also has the most of, and that's what makes him the greatest in my eyes.

What is that?

Liked 86 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 2 View Post
    Loeb has won the most rally of all and that makes him great, but it's another thing he also has the most of, and that's what makes him the greatest in my eyes.

What is that?
    Consistency?