Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Yes, I don't know how the 2017 WRC cars but before it was around 60-70l/100 km, old WRC cars 15-20 years a go even more than 100l/100 km. R5 today have also around 60l/100km I think (br21 knows better for sure).

Anyway in the turbo cars large part of the consumption is taken by ALS. That's why I think that the most meaningful way how to integrate some often discussed hybrid systems into rally is to implement semi-electric turbochargers without classic ALS. It would be relatively easy to implement (I think) and it would bring fuel consumption to much lower values without changing the appearance of the cars, i.e. it would look good for marketing reasons but for petrolheads not much would be changed in terms of sound and spectacle (sound slightly). It would be theoretically good also for reliability.
    Mirek, one more big supporter of this concept here. You raised very valid points, only one that is touch open to dispute is “It would be relatively easy to implement (I think)” – the engine manufacturers/tuners got slightly bad taste of this system due to the struggles of some of the F1 engine manufacturers, though if you don’t try to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of the system, things should be a lot more manageable. I also suspect drivers would love it.

2. Likes: mArvAlcao17 (9th January 2018),Mirek (9th January 2018),TWRC (9th January 2018)
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by br21 View Post
    A lot for sure. But can't say exactly, as it depends on stage characteristics, on car (turbo spool, etc), on mapping, conditions, driver, etc.
    If i am correct, the car would still have the same BHP with ALS off, but the turbo would take more time to respond?

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    The peak power would be same, yes, but You would still loose a lot of time with slow response to the throtle and a certain time needed to get on the nominal power curve. The appearance of the R5 would look closer to the S2000 cars (or old gr.A/B cars) with a massive lack of torque immediately after pushing the throttle.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    I guess this would be more of a problem on stages where drivers need to lift off the throttle more than it would on a stage with only tight junctions and long straights?

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Yes, exactly. Massive problem for events like Corsica, smaller problem for Ypres for example. Same on gravel. Huge problem in Argentina (high altitudes would make it even worse), smaller problem in Poland or Finland.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump