Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Nigel Mansel has start the ball rolling by stating that Hamilton is his favorite for the 2018 title. He sees the title to be between Hamilton and Vettel with Verstapenn as an outside chance.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd March 2018 at 10:48.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Hamilton has shown his intent with the fastest lap in Test One. Vettel responded with the fastest lap in Test Two. From a car perspective, Hamilton has the edge but is handicapped by Bottas that would cease any opportunity to beat him. Vettel is very close but recent Oil issue with the Ferrari suggest that he may be playing catchup to Hamilton initially. But Vettel has a wingman in Kimi, which kind of level things.

That said, where would you put your money at this stage of the game.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I’m going to put my money on Hamilton. That Mercedes wasn’t ran anywhere near low fuel or even on hypersoft tyres. I think Mercedes may have a bigger gap this year to the rest of the field and on their long runs they were over a second a lap quicker than anyone else. I’ve had a feeling about that Mercedes ever since I saw it. It looks super quick. Can’t wait for Melbourne. I hope the battle is close and Mercedes don’t have the advantage I think they have.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I’m going to put my money on Hamilton. That Mercedes wasn’t ran anywhere near low fuel or even on hypersoft tyres. I think Mercedes may have a bigger gap this year to the rest of the field and on their long runs they were over a second a lap quicker than anyone else. I’ve had a feeling about that Mercedes ever since I saw it. It looks super quick. Can’t wait for Melbourne. I hope the battle is close and Mercedes don’t have the advantage I think they have.
    True, but Bottas could be king maker this season if he is allowed to race Hamilton hard. If Mercedes want to ensure that the driver title come to them, they may well have Bottas play wingman to Hamilton and pick up wins whenever Hamilton is having troubles. That said, Bottas may well emerge as the title contender but l somehow doubt it. Only if Hamilton suddenly have the engine juju that handed the title to Rosberg in 2016 again, l think.

If Bottas is forced to play wingman to Hamilton, then Redbull could be king makers this season. Since they are close enough to win a number of races. Any of the front runners finding themselves with new issues during the season could be punished severely by the Redbull. Much like last year, as both Mercedes and Ferrari found.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd March 2018 at 10:51.
    William Shakespeare

Vettel chalks up the first step towards being ahead.
    William Shakespeare

I did not see this coming with all the talk of the Ferrari smoke at the end of testing, but Vettel leads the drivers championship and by a good 17 points from Hamilton. Mercedes seem not to be at their usual level of perfection. I wonder if the Ferrari team have got their act together to take full advantage of this early lead. Or at least hang on till Abu Dhabi for a grand closing race.

The pendulum is swinging the Vettel way at the mo. And l think the chaps at Mercedes would start to worry if the Chinese GP turns out in Vettel and Ferrari's favour again. I have a feeling that Mercedes would bounce back at China. But they have work to do being behind in the constructors and driver's championship.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 26th October 2018 at 12:00.
    William Shakespeare

Ferrari seem to be emerging out of the shadow of the Mercedes as the team to beat in 2018. Much to some people's surprise, Vettel has got off the blocks with three back to back wins. He is beginning to look like the favorite to bag a 5th title thus far.

I still think the Mercedes is the team to beat. But as they struggle to harness the power of their fearsome engine, Ferrari is looking resurgent and is making hay while the sun is shining on them. If Hamilton finishes where he is starting in 4th, Vettel may build his championship lead to 30 points, with Ferrari possibly stretching the constructors title lead to about 20 points.

Mercedes Petronas team seem to have hit a bad patch and appear baffled by their lack of pace. Losing at Australia due to a glitch and Bottas being unable to capitalize on poor tyres in the closing stages of the Bahrain GP is now looking very significant now. Mercedes have always somehow managed to turn things around. But in such a very closely matched season, recovering shall be a hard but do-able. But small things such these first few races can very easily be the very factor that determines the outcome of this season's title fight.

If you had to go to the bookie to place a bet right now, l am sure it would be hard not to put your money on Vettel.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 26th October 2018 at 12:02.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Hamilton may be leading the title but the smart money is on Vettel at the mo. At least until Mercedes find a cure for their tyre woes. Hamilton has been a shadow of himself lately with Bottas being the lead Mercedes for the last three races. That said, l would not write off Mercedes and Hamilton just yet. There are plenty races to come, hence anything is possible.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Hamilton may be leading the title but the smart money is on Vettel at the mo. At least until Mercedes find a cure for their tyre woes. Hamilton has been a shadow of himself lately with Bottas being the lead Mercedes for the last three races. That said, l would not write off Mercedes and Hamilton just yet. There are plenty races to come, hence anything is possible.
    so whats your say after todays Qualifying?

Quote Originally Posted by andyone View Post
    so whats your say after todays Qualifying?
    Barcelona is a Mercedes track. Everyone expected them to perform well here. Mercedes is likely to resume their tyre woes at Monaco where power is not a benefit but good aero package wins out. Redbull are likely to be strong there. Mercedes seem likely to struggle there but l would wait to see what the free practice times are suggesting.
    William Shakespeare