Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Which of the four times WDC is going to reach 5 WDC first?

I remember on this forum some three years back, there were arguments of whether Hamilton was better than Vettel who was a four time WDC at the time and Hamilton only had one. This forum was quite divided with very slender majority for Hamilton. Well, now Hamilton has gone and matched Vettel to be equally a quadruple F1 driver world champion. As we head into the 2018 season, the opportunity is most likely equal for both quadruple WDCs to extend their titles to five. The question is which of the two would you put your money on to become a five time WDC by the end of the 2018 season; Vettel or Hamilton? Assuming that Redbull do not turn up with a car that is rapid enough to cause an upset.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 26th October 2018 at 11:50.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I remember on this forum some three years back, there was argument of whether Hamilton was better than Vettel who was a four time WDC at the time and Hamilton only had one. This forum was quite divided with very slender majority for Hamilton. Well, now Hamilton has gone and matched Vettel to be equally a quadruple F1 driver world champion. As we head into the 2018 season, the opportunity is most likely equal for both quadruple WDCs to extend their titles to five. The question is which of the two would you put your money on to become a five time WDC by the end of the 2018 season; Vettel or Hamilton? Assuming that Redbull do not turn up with a car that is rapid enough to cause an upset.
    IMHO, Vettel doesn't stand a real chance in Ferrari until the FIA forces a major power unit change. Merc. in the hands of Hamilton is simply too dominant.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5 View Post
    IMHO, Vettel doesn't stand a real chance in Ferrari until the FIA forces a major power unit change. Merc. in the hands of Hamilton is simply too dominant.
    I don't think Ferrari want the current hybrid power unit to change very much. Besides, the Ferrari engine is equally as powerful as the Mercedes engine. The real differences are in the chassis, reliability and race strategy. The Mercedes had a poor chassis compared to the Ferrari this year but made up for it with great reliability and made no mistakes on race weekends. Ferrari had the better chassis but had poorer reliability and both driver [Vettel] and team made a number of costly mistakes.
    I think if you swap the cars between the two teams; i.e. give Mercedes the Ferrari chassis and Ferrari the Mercedes chassis, Mercedes would have won the constructors championship by a country mile and Hamilton would have also won the WDC in the Ferrari chassis.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 21st December 2017 at 17:05.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: andyone (23rd December 2017)
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Besides, the Ferrari engine is equally as powerful as the Mercedes engine. The real differences are in the chassis, reliability and race strategy.
    No.

2017 - MB: 1 4 5 (av 3.33) v Ferrari: 2 8 (av 5.00 - can't include an old unit)
    2016 - MB: 1 4 5 11 (av 5.25) v Ferrari: 3 7 8 10 (av 7.00)
    2015 - MB: 1 3 4 6 (av 3.50) v Ferrari: 2 8 10 (av 6.66)
    2015 - MB: 1 3 5 6 (av 3.75) v Ferrari: 2 8 10 (av 6.66)

The current rules have locked in advantage and disadvantage.

Not unless there is a marked change in allowing engine manufacturer's to go testing, that current set of advantage and disadvantages remain. Expect McLaren to finish 6th and still behind the MB cars, and expect MB to still dominate la scarletti.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    It’s hard to say. The concept of Ferrari’s car seems sounder than Mercedes for future development. RBR may also have a say in next years championship but with Merc speaking about changing the concept of their car for next year, I can’t help but think of McLaren 2013 when they did the same thing and paid the price for it. If Merc continue to develop from their current package and make good steps forward, they’ll win. Otherwise Ferrari could steal a jump on them.

I still maintain Ferrari had the best overall package this year, they just didn’t make the most of it. I honestly can’t call next year but one would imagine that Mercedes are smart enough to stay ahead. But it’s ultimately whom ever makes the better decisions over the winter will probably decide the next 5 time WDC.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The current rules have locked in advantage and disadvantage.
    Not any more. Engine updates are now free for all. The big problem was in 2014-2016 when there was literally a limit on the number of engine parts that can be replaced. (Even though all parties agreed to this, that looked like incredibly stupid rule well in advance IMHO)

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    But it’s ultimately whom ever makes the better decisions over the winter will probably decide the next 5 time WDC.

Let's not forget the drivers. If Vettel performs like he did since the summer, his chances will not be very good.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Assuming Hamilton comes into the season with his head screwed on straight (meaning no Kardashian/Jenners in his life) and Merc produces a better all-around chassis for next year, I'd have to give him the nod to reach five first.

I've honestly been impressed with how much Hamilton has matured over the years... Vettel, not so much. Even with fierce intra-team battles against Rosberg, he hung tough (though it was ugly and destructive within the team). But in seeing how easily Vettel withered against Ricciardo, and then again when the heat rose this past season against Hamilton, I think that Vettel still provides too much competition against himself. I really think/hope that next year is full of fierce battles between Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull. I don't see anyone other than Hamilton or Vettel winning the championship (I don't even see Raikkonen winning a race, unless Vettel drops out and Ferrari allows it). But I do expect Bottas, Verstappen and Ricciardo to be race winning spoilers along the way. One of those guys could decide who wins the WDC.

Even as an American who will have to endure the suck that will likely be ESPN's coverage, I can't wait!!!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Let's not forget the drivers. If Vettel performs like he did since the summer, his chances will not be very good.
    Yeah, it’s interesting to see that Hamilton was once again nominated to be the best driver on the grid amongst autosports end of year survey of team bosses. It just shows the respect he carries in he pitlane. He has had to work a lot harder for his championships than Vettel did for his and I think most team bosses would rather Hamilton driving in their team than Vettel.

Personally, l would wait till after the first round of testing before l venture a guess. It was so close this last season, l would not write off Ferrari for 2018. I think Merc are going to dump their long wheelbase chassis for a Ferrari like platform. I would not be surprised to see the Merc with a rake chassis like Redbull and Ferrari.

While Mercedes maybe forced to redesign their chassis, Ferrari would be tweaking and honing their chassis. One would think that Ferrari would have the edge off the block compared to the Merc at Melborne. But l expect the mercs to catch up within three races. If this turns out to be the case, Vettel would start the year with the advantages reaped from these three races with Hamilton doing damage limitation until the Merc comes good.

It could really come down to how well Vettel can maintain his early lead through the season and how focused Hamilton is this year to fight Vettel all the way. Also, Bottas could hand the title to Vettel if Mercedes allows him to race Hamilton or gets the jump on Hamilton to be the merc driver with the most points in contention with Vettel.

Which ever way it goes, it is likely that Ferrari and Vettel might have the early points advantage by the end of the first quarter of the season. Hence, it is likely to be an even harder year for Mercedes and Hamilton to win the two titles. But l have a sneaky feeling that Mercedes may prevail in the end.
    William Shakespeare