Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Sirotkin. Since he outperformed Kubica at a Williams test, he can't be all that bad... either that or Robert is past it, but in either case, I believe Williams' decision to be correct. Let's see.
    If they were not going to go with Kubica, then the handsdown best driver out there (and miles better than either sirotkin or stroll) was Wehrlein. I blame Wolf in this as well since, Pascal is a Mercedes driver and Williams are a mercedes vendor. Wehrlein would have produced some decent results for them given the equipment (or at very worst a bit better than what Massa did) But instead they choose 15m and an average pay driver. They don;t get it. Decent results and more WCC points means a lot more in terms of payout and sponsorship money than a cash infusion of 15m and then toiling around at the back with the Saubers. Oh well. Perhpas it was best that Wehrlein didn't join them and hopefully looks prepared for a mercedes or Force India Seat in 2019 ( if ocon moves )
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    So , team Willy now has some money to work with , to create a better car .
    That's good , isn't it ?

And , team Willy has Lance , who isn't a rookie any more , starting in the most complicated series , in the most complicated car , on the trickiest tires yet , going into his second year much more confidently .
    That's good , isn't it ?

And , Sirotkin showed well enough in testing to make his cash usable , and so they have two young , hungry drivers .
    So , that's good , too , isn't it ?

And , then we come to Kubica , who should be ready and able to sub in , should it be needed , but , more importantly , should provide good mentoring to the young lads , along with his set-up skills .
    Stability and calmness in the debrief room could be essential with the young pairing .
    So , there it is , good , too , so team Willy doesn't seem to be really in such dire straights after all , does it ?

The bagwan's crystal ball sees Willy running over False India this year , so be ready for the shock , y'all .

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    So , team Willy now has some money to work with , to create a better car .
    That's good , isn't it ?

And , team Willy has Lance , who isn't a rookie any more , starting in the most complicated series , in the most complicated car , on the trickiest tires yet , going into his second year much more confidently .
    That's good , isn't it ?

And , Sirotkin showed well enough in testing to make his cash usable , and so they have two young , hungry drivers .
    So , that's good , too , isn't it ?

And , then we come to Kubica , who should be ready and able to sub in , should it be needed , but , more importantly , should provide good mentoring to the young lads , along with his set-up skills .
    Stability and calmness in the debrief room could be essential with the young pairing .
    So , there it is , good , too , so team Willy doesn't seem to be really in such dire straights after all , does it ?

The bagwan's crystal ball sees Willy running over False India this year , so be ready for the shock , y'all .
    I wonder how much of that money would be spent on repairing driver error crashes. Force India have a better driver lineup. I would be surprised if they can bother Force India. I see them drifting further down the grid to about 7th or 8th if Sauber with a 2018 Ferrari engine recover their mojo and Ericsson drive as well as he did in 2017. Stroll is still wet around the ears. Williams may well be doing battle with Torro Ross at the back of the grid. Besides the big boys, I think Redbull, Mclaren, Renault and Force India would be ahead of them.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Sirotkin. Since he outperformed Kubica at a Williams test, he can't be all that bad... either that or Robert is past it, but in either case, I believe Williams' decision to be correct. Let's see.
    I don't envy Sirotkin for his break into a Williams drive. His team clearly have not thought things through properly. He comes into a team like Williams without the benefit of an experienced mentor to help him lay down the foundations for his F1 career. He would be going into the deep end to swim or sink. It is a recipe for a short F1 career. I cannot see how Stroll could help him, Stroll is still trying to get to grips with things but at least got the benefit of one year under the mentoring of Massa.

If this season turns out to be a poor showing for Williams, it could seriously undermine the credibility of the team. I am not sure that is worth $15m.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 18th January 2018 at 09:05.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    If they were not going to go with Kubica, then the handsdown best driver out there (and miles better than either sirotkin or stroll) was Wehrlein. I blame Wolf in this as well since, Pascal is a Mercedes driver and Williams are a mercedes vendor. Wehrlein would have produced some decent results for them given the equipment (or at very worst a bit better than what Massa did) But instead they choose 15m and an average pay driver. They don;t get it. Decent results and more WCC points means a lot more in terms of payout and sponsorship money than a cash infusion of 15m and then toiling around at the back with the Saubers. Oh well. Perhpas it was best that Wehrlein didn't join them and hopefully looks prepared for a mercedes or Force India Seat in 2019 ( if ocon moves )
    I agree with you on this. If Williams were serious about getting to the front, l would have thought they would go for Kyvat or Werhlein. But we have seen some really bad decisions taken at Williams in recent years, so this one simply consolidates the view that this is a spent team.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 17th January 2018 at 21:24.
    William Shakespeare

6. Likes: truefan72 (18th January 2018)
    No money means no speed , and no driver wants that .

Now , with SMP backing for Sirotkin , and daddy-o for Stroll , they have more money than dog .

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    No money means no speed , and no driver wants that .

Now , with SMP backing for Sirotkin , and daddy-o for Stroll , they have more money than dog .
    Only a feeder team like Torro Rosso would field two inexperienced drivers. An A Team would field, at least one experienced driver alongside a promising inexperience driver. Speed without an experienced pilot to fully exploit it is a waste and only leads back round the cycle to money drought.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Only a feeder team like Torro Rosso would field two inexperienced drivers. An A Team would field, at least one experienced driver alongside a promising inexperience driver. Speed without an experienced pilot to fully exploit it is a waste and only leads back round the cycle to money drought.
    Sure , spend big money on a driver , only to put him in a crap car he can do nothing with .
    Sounds great .

No , spending money on the machinery , then throwing the dice on the drivers sounds like a better bet to me .
    Either driver comes good , and you're in with a chance .

It fits with the age-old philosophy at team Willy , where they have always chosen to spend it on the car when the WDC they created asks for more money .

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Hey Baggie,
    What is with the Canadian blabermouth? The dude is tripping me out:

Villeneuve was consistently brutal with his critiques on TV and to anyone else who asked him about his compatriot. And then, even after the fine Montreal and Baku performances, where Stroll scored his first points and podium respectively, Villeneuve kept the screw turned tight.“He wasn’t quick in Montreal, but everybody broke down, he kept his nose clean, he got points, and that took a weight off his shoulders. You could see it [at Baku]. When everybody was banging into each other, he wasn’t, and his teammate broke down as well.
    "Yes, he was lucky, but he was also quick, he didn’t do any stupid things, and he got on the podium. Nothing wrong with that.
    “You still have to be real. Montreal was helpful and [Baku] was good, but that won’t change what I said earlier in the season.”
    He further criticized Stroll by saying: “He did well, but also he’s the only driver who tests between races. That’s a little bit tough to swallow. Money has to have a limit, and that’s pushing it.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...eneuve-997101/
    What does he mean by the part I emboldened. Surely he is talking about the simulator, which he is not exclusive in that practice....Or have I missed something?
    Last edited by Tazio; 21st January 2018 at 18:46.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Tazzy, google 'Stroll rents suzuka' or something similar. Here's one result http://en.f1i.com/news/280666-stroll...iams-test.html

It was in the news a while back when Kubica was trying to get up to speed.