Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Hey Baggie,
    What is with the Canadian blabermouth? The dude is tripping me out:

What does he mean by the part I emboldened. Surely he is talking about the simulator, which he is not exclusive in that practice....Or have I missed something?
    Nice to "see" you Tazzy , old man .

Firstgear has it right . Daddy has rented a bunch of tracks at different times to help get him up to speed .

JV's just being real here , man . Same as ever .
    He was harsh on the lad early on , but that was , in part , because Lance really does deserve a few jealous leers from his fellow rookies for the extra track time , albeit in an older car .

But , notice in those quotes that he does say "but he was also quick" and "didn't do any stupid things" .
    Those are huge compliments from JV , obviously countering a leading question about Lucky Lance .

So , yeah , Tazmo , don't be trippin' on my boy's words from way over there outside the loop .
    Have a sip of maple syrup and chill .

Liked 642 Times in 508 Posts
    Apparently I'm not the only one not buying what your man is pushing!
    http://en.f1i.com/news/289672-stroll...-comments.html
    May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Apparently I'm not the only one not buying what your man is pushing!
    http://en.f1i.com/news/289672-stroll...-comments.html
    Lance , obviously , also glossed over the compliments made by JV .

That's OK .
    He's got everyone around him in his ear saying "don't listen to Jacques" .

He should , though .
    And , he absolutely will if he does well , as JV will be the first one they all ask for comment .
    He'll listen closely then .

The lad sits firmly behind the eight-ball , as he's "daddy's boy" , but I think he's gonna be alright in the end .
    He'll come good , and get his praise from JV as he deserves it .

4. Likes: Tazio (23rd January 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Sure , spend big money on a driver , only to put him in a crap car he can do nothing with .
    Sounds great .

No , spending money on the machinery , then throwing the dice on the drivers sounds like a better bet to me .
    Either driver comes good , and you're in with a chance .

It fits with the age-old philosophy at team Willy , where they have always chosen to spend it on the car when the WDC they created asks for more money .
    Baggie, why are you writing off the Williams 2018 car before it is even launched. Why do you think the 2018 car would be crap? I think the 2018 Williams car would be a better car than last year's car because of a number of things:-

1. They had some funding from the Stroll family to ensure they build a great car for 2018.
    2. 2018 is the first chance for Paddy Lowe to make an influencing input to the Williams car

For these two reasons alone, l fully expect the 2018 car to be top midfield contender. I can see how Sirotkins money would be usefull to fund development of the car through the season. But the pressure would be squarely on Lance to deliver solid performances from the outset of the season. He would effectively be the lead driver at Wiliiams on account of being the most experienced driver with a race seat in the Williams garage.

Sirotkin would win the heart and minds of the entire F1 grid if he measures up to the more experienced Stroll squarely or better. If Sirotkin performs equally as good or better than Lance Stroll, Villenueve would be justified for his comments about the young Canadian. Hence, this rivalry is one to watch with interest.
    Of Course, if Sirotkin turns out to be slower and makes alot of costly mistakes, he be just another useless moneybag driver not deserving of an F1 seat. Somehow, l don't think this would be the case. Sirotkin has more to prove than Lance Stroll who has acquitted himself by obtaining his first podium in F1 last years. To have a future in F1 beyond this season, Sirotkin has to match or beat Lance Stroll, otherwise, it could be adios amigo in 2019 for the Russian moneybag driver.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Baggie, why are you writing off the Williams 2018 car before it is even launched. Why do you think the 2018 car would be crap? I think the 2018 Williams car would be a better car than last year's car because of a number of things:-

1. They had some funding from the Stroll family to ensure they build a great car for 2018.
    2. 2018 is the first chance for Paddy Lowe to make an influencing input to the Williams car

For these two reasons alone, l fully expect the 2018 car to be top midfield contender. I can see how Sirotkins money would be usefull to fund development of the car through the season. But the pressure would be squarely on Lance to deliver solid performances from the outset of the season. He would effectively be the lead driver at Wiliiams on account of being the most experienced driver with a race seat in the Williams garage.

Sirotkin would win the heart and minds of the entire F1 grid if he measures up to the more experienced Stroll squarely or better. If Sirotkin performs equally as good or better than Lance Stroll, Villenueve would be justified for his comments about the young Canadian. Hence, this rivalry is one to watch with interest.
    Of Course, if Sirotkin turns out to be slower and makes alot of costly mistakes, he be just another useless moneybag driver not deserving of an F1 seat. Somehow, l don't think this would be the case. Sirotkin has more to prove than Lance Stroll who has acquitted himself by obtaining his first podium in F1 last years. To have a future in F1 beyond this season, Sirotkin has to match or beat Lance Stroll, otherwise, it could be adios amigo in 2019 for the Russian moneybag driver.
    Dazey , I'm not really sure about how you got the idea that I think the team Willy car will be crap next season .
    Read my second paragraph once again .
    They need the cash right now in order to build a fast one , and the two youngsters will both be tasked with making it meet it's potential .

Lance will have the advantage , at least at first , as they know him well now , so it makes sense that the car will favour his preferred set-up .
    But , apparently , Sergey impressed as a fast learner , so I expect him to be up to speed very quickly .

As an aside to all this , I might make one other point .
    Many saw Massa as a good mentor for Lance , and he might have started out that way , but as the season went on , it seemed to me that the relationship got a bit strained a few times , and the mentoring became affected by the pout .
    But , now they have Kubica in the background , developing the car , and , more importantly , being a really stable , patient mentor for the boys .

Team Willy is in good shape for the coming season as far as I can see .

Dazey , I'm not really sure about how you got the idea that I think the team Willy car will be crap next season .
    Read my second paragraph once again .
    They need the cash right now in order to build a fast one , and the two youngsters will both be tasked with making it meet it's potential .

Lance will have the advantage , at least at first , as they know him well now , so it makes sense that the car will favour his preferred set-up .
    But , apparently , Sergey impressed as a fast learner , so I expect him to be up to speed very quickly .

As an aside to all this , I might make one other point .
    Many saw Massa as a good mentor for Lance , and he might have started out that way , but as the season went on , it seemed to me that the relationship got a bit strained a few times , and the mentoring became affected by the pout .
    But , now they have Kubica in the background , developing the car , and , more importantly , being a really stable , patient mentor for the boys .

Team Willy is in good shape for the coming season as far as I can see .
    Makes alot of sense now, your post. I have to say l worry for Williams and hope the team comes good in the near future. But it really frustrated me to see them where they were last season. Much as it frustrated me that Mclaren did not find an answer to getting back to the sharp end of the grid. The driver choice will make alot of sense if Lance steps up a gear and deliver as good an outcome has he managed in 2017. Another podium or a regular top five finishes would put all the criticisms well to bed.
    William Shakespeare

" Another podium or a regular top five finishes would put all the criticisms well to bed."
    Nope , don't think so .
    He'll have to live with being "daddy's boy" his whole life , poor thing .

But , even though you might be criticized heavily for it , why the hell not take every step you can to get there .
    Jacques might be right that it seems an unfair advantage , trundling around tracks in an older car , but JV , himself , would have taken the same advantage in a heartbeat , had testing been as restricted in his day .
    He was 2 seconds down on Hill's time when he was signed and it was only through relentless testing that he got up to speed .

JV gets a lot of the same stick , being he had an easier way into the circus because of his dad , too .
    It certainly didn't stop when he got his title , but I'm sure that WDC makes it feel a little less uncomfortable .

" Another podium or a regular top five finishes would put all the criticisms well to bed."
    Nope , don't think so .
    He'll have to live with being "daddy's boy" his whole life , poor thing .

But , even though you might be criticized heavily for it , why the hell not take every step you can to get there .
    Jacques might be right that it seems an unfair advantage , trundling around tracks in an older car , but JV , himself , would have taken the same advantage in a heartbeat , had testing been as restricted in his day .
    He was 2 seconds down on Hill's time when he was signed and it was only through relentless testing that he got up to speed .

JV gets a lot of the same stick , being he had an easier way into the circus because of his dad , too .
    It certainly didn't stop when he got his title , but I'm sure that WDC makes it feel a little less uncomfortable .
    It is interesting how fathers have become quite prominently visible as instrumental force in bringing about the success of some of the drivers in recent F1 seasons.

It all started with Hamilton and sacrifices his father made to mold a multiple world champion out of his young son. Since then, Verstapen and the towering mentorship of his F1 driver dad promises to produce the next generation of world champion. Similarly, there is Carlos Sainz Jr and his multiple Rally car world champion dad. Damon Hill had to take this journey on his own but l am sure he would had given anything to have his multiple world champion dad in the paddocks when he won his own WDC. Of course there was Jenson Button and his father who was ever present to support his son. Massa saw benefit in this idea and brought his father to as many races as he could. Not to forget Nico Rosberg. Most recently is Lance Stroll.

The Stroll case is quite different from every other cases mentioned. In that, all the others have emerged from financially challenging origins to an earned place on the F1 grid and the hard way. Lance's origin was from the comfort of family riches. The only other driver with such origins was David Coultard. Even David had to earn his place on the grid from his sheer talent and not by paying for his seat. Hence, l can understand the rich boy would endure some daddy stick throughout his career. But l think we have seen enough to say he has talent. How big a talent he can become is yet to be seen. Surely, they cannot buy a WDC, he has to go out there and drive to it.

When we compare him to Verstapen, Sainz, Ocon and Werhlein, you could say he has not set the track alight with performances that suggest big promises. He took a while to really get up to speed with Massa. When he finally did, the Williams had so much issues and Massa suffered most of them, such that Lance appeared to match Massa.

Hence, 2018 is a crucial year for Stroll, as he would be in the limelight, he is not a rookie anymore and the hopes for most of the points for the teams rest with him. It is a huge pressure that would not be helped by the arrival of a rookie fighting for chance of a seat beyond 2018.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th January 2018 at 15:52.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,066 Times in 598 Posts
    It's a young lineup that has me wondering if Williams will ever see the top side of the grid on a regular basis.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

11. Likes: Tazio (1st February 2018)
    As I suspected , Massa wasn't the mentor he signed up to be , according to Lance .
    Massa has responded with a curt "I shouldn't comment" comment .

It might have been a little fault from both sides , but I never got the impression that Felipe wanted the new boy to get too close to him .

Either way , it points out that it was a tougher road than it looked to be from the outside for the young lad .
    The way Lance spoke , there seems to have been a fair amount of resentment shown at the mere idea of any mentoring having taken place at all .
    That's pretty destabilizing for a new guy , thrown into the deep end with everybody and their uncles saying that they are expecting him to fail because he's just the rich kid .

I think he'll do a lot better without the Mousa pout in the other side of the garage .