Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrc2 2018

Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Kalle need to learn more on different surfaces, actually he did only latvian championship with fast gravel, but there are different types of gravel. He did one year in italian championship, but he needs to do much more on asphalt too. I think we will see Kalle more times this year also out of WRC

2. Likes: AnttiL (4th January 2018),pantealex (5th January 2018),RICARDO75 (4th January 2018),sindroms (5th January 2018)
    Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    Kalle need to learn more on different surfaces, actually he did only latvian championship with fast gravel, but there are different types of gravel. He did one year in italian championship, but he needs to do much more on asphalt too. I think we will see Kalle more times this year also out of WRC
    ... And that is what he is going to do next year, get new experiences. Everyone knows that he will be doing events out side of WRC mostly because he is not allowed to take part over half of them.
    No one has ever said that he is completed rally driver, not even close. He has done rallies where he is allowed.
    he has driven in super fast latvian roads, he has driven in snow, on Italian tarmac and gravel, on muddy Wales, Australia, probably some tests elsewhere and I think that is already pretty nice list for 17 year old.
    This year he gets to ad atleast Monte, Mexico, Argentina, Spain to that and those in WRC level and maybe some rallies in Italy and tests with Skoda almost anywhere.
    Last edited by Essaj; 5th January 2018 at 01:16. Reason: miss read

Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    I kind of agree with PLuto.
    He is ERC man and I´m WRC man but still: Many good points.

It´s never bad to go ERC before WRC and maybe 95% of drivers can´t start from WRC.
    Kalle has used Rally2 in every WRC event which he attended, can´t continue like that, also tarmac- and some gravel type skills quite low but he has factory deal. Let him try WRC2.
    I think no one ever said that driving in ERC is a bad thing, just that when you have a change to do WRC instead of course you choose it over ERC or national championships. It's not Kalle's or Marco's fault that they have backing to do so.
    Also he had problems in Walesm went off the road and had to retire for a day but have you seen what happened to him in Australia, it's totally out of his hand.

5. Likes: pantealex (5th January 2018),Rally Power (4th January 2018)
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,731 Posts
    With Pierre-Louis Loubet, it is very specific. He absolutely missed all regional/small events and started directly in WRC. First year with R3T, then immediatelly R5. As he was always in the best teams, there must be lot of backing behind him. Now he has three seasons in WRC behind him, last one with factory R5 car. He is not top WRC2 driver now, showed good speed on some stages and has potential to be faster/better. But until now nobody expected from him anything. Now he will need to grow up, start to make some results. And there is question if this so direct way to the WRC is the best one...
    Didn't we have a similar situation with Antony Warmbold a few years ago? Does anybody remember him? He started rallying and very soon jumped to ERC. Despite miserable results he jumped to WRC and was expecting factory teams to notice his "talent". Of course his results were never good and his "career" ended as quickly as it started.
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile...tony-warmbold/
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Of course, every driver is unique. We cannot say strictly that one way is the best one and others are shit. Everybody is trying to go by their own way and in the final they are more or less successful. I like a lot not only to think about it, but also to talk about it. As I was involved in JWRC in golden era around 2005 and later in IRC/ERC, I had opportunity to talk with lot of drivers. Range of this drivers is really big - some of them are successful and have WRC factory seat, some of them are nowhere now. With lot of them I was talking about their plans, about their progress, about their thoughts. And later I can confront them again and understand, what was good and what was bad from their perspective. It is very interesting to know experience of that drivers, to know what they expected from their plans, what was their decisions and what is the reality. I was also trying to give some advices or part of my experience to some drivers. Somebody of them agreed with me, somebody of them not. But I must say that lot of them now agreed that this advices on the beginning of their careers were not bad...
    Honestly, your step by step view makes total sense and could be the norm for any young driver wanting to start an international career; still, currently JWRC seems to be a quite attractive series (one make cup, fine prizes, WRC experience) and that’s probably why so many are trying it, almost straight from their national series.

The jump from JWRC to WRC2 is even a greater risk, but after JWRC some may look at it as the best way to capitalize their ‘WRC experience’, forgetting how hard it’s to fight against experienced manu backed R5 drivers.

Probably there’s a step missing between JWRC and WRC2 (a R4 world cup?) in WRC ladder, like it’s maybe also missing a 2wd one make cup in ERC (a Junior R2 ‘ligth’, like in France?) as a entry level to the European series...
    Rally addict since 1982

8. Likes: steve.mandzij (5th January 2018)
    Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Honestly, your step by step view makes total sense and could be the norm for any young driver wanting to start an international career; still, currently JWRC seems to be a quite attractive series (one make cup, fine prizes, WRC experience) and that’s probably why so many are trying it, almost straight from their national series.

The jump from JWRC to WRC2 is even a greater risk, but after JWRC some may look at it as the best way to capitalize their ‘WRC experience’, forgetting how hard it’s to fight against experienced manu backed R5 drivers.

Probably there’s a step missing between JWRC and WRC2 (a R4 world cup?) in WRC ladder, like it’s maybe also missing a 2wd one make cup in ERC (a Junior R2 ‘ligth’, like in France?) as a entry level to the European series...
    I dont think that JWRC is good for beginning of international career. And I also dont think it was attractive series in last years. There were only few competitors and usually between the crews there were really big gaps as WRC events with so many kms between services were easily too long for R2 cars...

10. Likes: RS (5th January 2018)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    Didn't we have a similar situation with Antony Warmbold a few years ago? Does anybody remember him?
    Antony Warmbold is member of this forum.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Antony Warmbold is member of this forum.
    And IIRC shared some very interesting information on his blog about the differences between 'customer' WRC cars and what the factory team were using.

13. Likes: dupanton (5th January 2018),Mirek (5th January 2018),steve.mandzij (5th January 2018)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Regarding driver development, there seems to be an obsession these days to sign up the next big thing before they are barely out of nappies and in some cases I think the process is rushed.. perhaps not with Rovanpera as he actually started driving so young that he is quite experienced already.

Lefebvre is my favourite current example who showed a lot of promise in 2wd but then the following year was driving a World Rally Car in WRC and it hasn’t worked.

Mikelssen is a good example of someone who had to take a step back in order to take two steps forward.

Even ‘my’ Skoda seem to have been a bit guilty in this with Jusso Nordgren who they seem to have signed on the back of one good performance on his home event (or perhaps I missed something, can someone tell us more about him?)

WRC2 is on a really good level these days with the works Skoda and M-Sport teams there and of course they are necessary for drivers in order to learn the WRC events but there are a few problems with it as a championship..

1) It is very hard to compete if you are not in one of those works teams
    2) Events are long and can often be decided by technical problems/punctures and gaps can end up very large so drivers sometimes don’t get much experience in close battles
    3) Lack of tarmac

A good career plan to me could be something like ERC 2wd > ERC R5 > WRC2 > WRC.

15. Likes: dnb (6th January 2018),pantealex (5th January 2018),Rally Power (6th January 2018),the sniper (6th January 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Even ‘my’ Skoda seem to have been a bit guilty in this with Jusso Nordgren who they seem to have signed on the back of one good performance on his home event (or perhaps I missed something, can someone tell us more about him?)
    He was pretty good on FWD in 2015 and 2016 and then he jumped into R5 last year, doing just two Finnish championship events, finishing second in each (one of them the top 3 was separated by 4 seconds, in the other he lost only to Kalle Rovanperä). In Rally Finland the first day he was struggling with the car, then the second day he made one fastest R5 time, then went to Rally2 with double puncture, and did again fastest or almost fastest times on the last day. But still, that's very little experience on 4WD car, I was very surprised to see him being signed. He wasn't very fast on Catalunya or Wales but I think the team just wanted him to finish the car.

17. Likes: pantealex (5th January 2018),RS (5th January 2018)