Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrc2 2018

Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Essaj View Post
    Flying back and forth between Bolivia and Europe for a 100km's of national rally must be really fun.
    What is he or Kalle losing when they start doing WRC rallies soon as they can? They might not be winning the rallies or even finishing top-10 but so what? they get 3 times the kilometers compared to national rallies + experience from the rallies that matter.
    Also just like Kalle, Marco is still 17, which ERC rallies they are allowed to take part except Latvia? and they will be both 18 by then.
    I will start from the end - for ERC it is same like in WRC, it depends on the championships and national ASNs. So somewhere yes, somewhere no. But now I am talking in basics and I have wrote it many times in the past, you should go step by step from the smaller championships through bigger events to the WRC. I can tell you that national championships or ERC are completely different events than WRC in few terms - mainly it is about mileage between services and length of the stages. Not only for so young drivers it is mainly about experience - in WRC level they are usually fighting with themselves, to stay on the road and finish the rally. But on "smaller" events with shorter distances between services they have more chances that their car survive, they have more chances to play with the setup of cars, they have more chances to learn also other abilities important for rallysport - fighting for overall classification, when everybody is focused to them, have close fights for seconds with adequate rivals etc. It is very similar also in other sports - you can immediatelly start in the highest class, but to be a good driver you need lot of skills (driving, mental etc). And you must learn them somewhere. And I dont think that WRC is the best level for learning this basic skills...

2. Likes: br21 (4th January 2018),RICARDO75 (4th January 2018)
    Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    C'mon stop with the ERC already, there is no way either of them is going to do full ERC season ever, they can't do it before they are 18 and after that they both have driven multiple WRC events so ERC is already out of the question.

My guess is that Marco is still going to drive CIR and maybe BRC + the 6 WRC events which I guess are Mexico, Argentina, Wales, Spain, Australia and maybe Italy or France? maybe under aged drivers are allowed to drive there?
    Kalle might still do some Latvian, Finnish, Italian, APRC, BRC, ....? + the all the WRC events he is going to do.

Experience wise Kalle already has a lot for his age and step to WRC is what he needs, he doesn't need to win championship next year or even rallies which he still might be able to do.

Everyone here knows the the difference between National, ERC and WRC here and all you said makes no sense. Everyone (inc. Kalle and Marco) knows that to score points you need to finish the rally, no matter the length of it, to score more points you need to faster than your rivals, no matter the length.
    WRC rallies provide more Km's, more Experience and more changes to tune your car between the services if needed, which should be minimal after pre event tests.

You don't have to be championship contender to drive in WRC2 and it's by far the best and most cost efficient way to learn WRC rallies with 4WD car and keep improving in every aspect of rallying. (if you have the backing)
    Last edited by Essaj; 3rd January 2018 at 23:30.

Ok, it is your opinion. Mine is different

5. Likes: pantealex (4th January 2018)
    Liked 661 Times in 290 Posts
    I have often seen/heard "learn to drive wheels off it first then step up a class" meaning totally master one class of car before stepping up to next level of car. Would this not apply and be more relevant than what particular championship a person is entering in.
    https://twitter.com/KiwiWRCfan adding a fans perspective to Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiWRCfan View Post
    I have often seen/heard "learn to drive wheels off it first then step up a class" meaning totally master one class of car before stepping up to next level of car. Would this not apply and be more relevant than what particular championship a person is entering in.
    Of course it is about the car, but not only. To be a good rally driver, you need to have a lot of skills. And you need have ideal playfield where to learn. If you are a soccer player, you are not going directly to Premier league, also biggest talents are going step by step through smallers leagues/teams to improve the skills and mentality. And in the rallysport it is also very similar. I think that this was one of the problems of Max Novikov - he step up too quickly. And from actual drivers, the best example is Andreas Mikkelsen. From beginning he was going immediatelly with WRC car and after few events he moved to WRC. But to be a real champion, he needed to make a step back, which returned him back between the champions...

8. Likes: electroliquid (4th January 2018),KiwiWRCfan (4th January 2018),pantealex (4th January 2018),RICARDO75 (4th January 2018)
    Liked 248 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    I think that this was one of the problems of Max Novikov - he step up too quickly.
    Max Novikov? Maybe Evgeny Novikov?
    Bit OT, but in football, basketball and other team sports player need playing time, which he can't get in strongest league, that why going trough smaller ones, in rallying you get same seat time in any level, if you can stay on road.
    Back to topic. What about Pierre-Louis Loubet - he went straight to WRC - if he has been done national, and then ERC, was he better? I don't know much about him, is he real talented guy?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Of course you can do your development time in WRC2 if you have the budget. The problem just is that you're expected to have a certain level in WRC2 and if you don't have it, you're just perceived as slow. Also, the competition is tougher. Is it better to be ERC/BRC champion than fifth in WRC2?

I think Bulacia is not yet ready for WRC2, but Rovanperä is.

11. Likes: electroliquid (4th January 2018),RS (4th January 2018)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    To be a good rally driver, you need to have a lot of skills. And you need have ideal playfield where to learn. If you are a soccer player, you are not going directly to Premier league, also biggest talents are going step by step through smallers leagues/teams to improve the skills and mentality. And in the rallysport it is also very similar.
    Unlike many of the other top sports, in motorsport you’ve to pay to play and very few manage to be paid for driving. Rally it’s even harder than motor racing; manus or top team seats are rare, especially if we compare to the larger number available on international circuit series.

That’s probably why international rally careers are usually short and some young drivers try to get in WRC as soon as possible. If they manage to get the extra budget to do JWRC or WRC2, why bother to be in ERC? Running in the pinnacle rally series, alongside the best drivers of the world, is for sure a much more exciting and rewarding experience to them.
    Rally addict since 1982

13. Likes: Essaj (4th January 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    If they manage to get the extra budget to do JWRC or WRC2, why bother to be in ERC? Running in the pinnacle rally series, alongside the best drivers of the world, is for sure a much more exciting and rewarding experience to them.
    Because I think that they can learn much more in lower series than in WRC.

Quote Originally Posted by electroliquid View Post
    Max Novikov? Maybe Evgeny Novikov?
    Bit OT, but in football, basketball and other team sports player need playing time, which he can't get in strongest league, that why going trough smaller ones, in rallying you get same seat time in any level, if you can stay on road.
    Back to topic. What about Pierre-Louis Loubet - he went straight to WRC - if he has been done national, and then ERC, was he better? I don't know much about him, is he real talented guy?
    Yes, of course, Evgeny, Max is his father Ok, so if we dont count team sports, we can talk lets say biathlon. There is also "first league" and lower leagues. And for competitors it is better to go step by step from lower championships. And for them is better to fight for top 5 in IBU Cup and be around 30rd position in big league. All, what I want to say is that rallying is not only to know the WRC stages and be from beginning there. You should learn lot of skills to be successful driver, not only driving the car, but also mentality, to know, how to fight for overall win, when everybody is focused on you, to fight for seconds etc. And it is better (and of course also cheaper) to learn it in lower championships than going directly to WRC.

With Pierre-Louis Loubet, it is very specific. He absolutely missed all regional/small events and started directly in WRC. First year with R3T, then immediatelly R5. As he was always in the best teams, there must be lot of backing behind him. Now he has three seasons in WRC behind him, last one with factory R5 car. He is not top WRC2 driver now, showed good speed on some stages and has potential to be faster/better. But until now nobody expected from him anything. Now he will need to grow up, start to make some results. And there is question if this so direct way to the WRC is the best one...

16. Likes: electroliquid (4th January 2018)