Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Wrc2 2018

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rally Power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,645
    Like
    1,730
    Liked 1,251 Times in 597 Posts

    Wrc2 2018

    2017 was WRC revamp year and next year it seems will be WRC2 turn. Besides Skoda and MSport, Hyundai is joining the series and Proton can do the same during the season. Most likely, Citroen will also run officially the C3 after homologation and even the new Polo is expected to make his series debut. Lots of promising young guys behind the wheel, alongside some experienced drivers returning to the series. So far, how much can we tell/guess?
    Rally addict since 1982

  2. #2
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,269
    Like
    882
    Liked 1,048 Times in 504 Posts

    Wrc2 2018

    Also, no mandatory events
    Last edited by AnttiL; 6th December 2017 at 21:12.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sulland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Posts
    4,392
    Like
    314
    Liked 253 Times in 154 Posts
    With the current presscoverage of the 2nd echelon of the championship from WRC TV, radio and website many drivers are struggeling to find sponsors wanting to back them. The promotor need to give them more to sell. Often the competition in R5 is more even, and more exiting than in WRCars.

    I think BRC is the best option if you think press per euro for 2018.
    Eurosport have a good product in ERC, but they need to put more into it, so that become european champion means something. For people to afford themfull series, they need to cut the 3 island rallies. Too expensive. Focus on rallies in north/ central Europe, that will gather most cars and most fans.
    www.Rallye-info.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member Andre Oliveira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,347
    Like
    1,231
    Liked 1,980 Times in 930 Posts
    Pity that Red Bull TV coverage to WRC2, WRC3 and JWRC was inexistent.

  5. Likes: Sulland (7th December 2017)
  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    148
    Like
    10
    Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Being ERC champion is still pretty worthless. Most of the WRC2 crews wants to one day to become world champions and for that you need to prove yourself at WRC rounds and even then you will need a lot of luck and/or money to have change at highest level. Driving in BRC or ERC will always be cheaper but you won't be a world champion that way.
    Last edited by Essaj; 7th December 2017 at 01:07.

  7. Likes: AnttiL (7th December 2017),Rally Power (7th December 2017),WRC1 (7th December 2017)
  8. #6
    Senior Member PLuto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Zlin
    Posts
    6,287
    Like
    114
    Liked 1,253 Times in 611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Essaj View Post
    Being ERC champion is still pretty worthless. Most of the WRC2 crews wants to one day to become world champions and for that you need to prove yourself at WRC rounds and even then you will need a lot of luck and/or money to have change at highest level. Driving in BRC or ERC will always be cheaper but you won't be a world champion that way.
    Thats not correct. To be a world champion, you must firstly prove your speed and your driving skills. And it is better to use a ladder national championship-ERC-WRC than going directly to WRC. Primary you must impress team/sponsor/federation with your skills...

  9. Likes: RS (7th December 2017)
  10. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    148
    Like
    10
    Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    Thats not correct. To be a world champion, you must firstly prove your speed and your driving skills. And it is better to use a ladder national championship-ERC-WRC than going directly to WRC. Primary you must impress team/sponsor/federation with your skills...
    Of course you need to start somewhere else but driving many years in ERC etc won't get you anywhere. Even Pontus Tidemand WRC2 champion seems to struggle finding WRC seat for next year.
    Do you think that any team is legit even thinking about signing Kajto 3 time ERC champ over any successful WRC2 driver like Tidemand, Suninen, Camilli etc or any upcoming driver like Veiby or Rovanpera?
    Lower tier championships helps you to prove managers and sponsors to spend more money on to you but at the end of the day you need to be successful at world championship level to get backing for a team to sign you for a WRC season (or a lot of money) and it's fact.
    I can't see any ERC champ to steal WRC drive from WRC2 driver any day soon.

    Tell me a one reason why would anyone dreaming about WRC championship would drive ERC season over WRC2 one if they had a change to do one of them?
    Last edited by Essaj; 7th December 2017 at 02:47.

  11. Likes: AnttiL (7th December 2017),pantealex (7th December 2017),WRC1 (7th December 2017)
  12. #8
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,269
    Like
    882
    Liked 1,048 Times in 504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Often the competition in R5 is more even, and more exiting than in WRCars.
    Disagreed. Very often the WRC2 top five is separated by closer to 10 minutes by the end of day 2. There's too much of level differences within the entries. Some are very experienced and professional, some are on a tighter budget or less experienced.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 7th December 2017 at 07:52.

  13. #9
    Senior Member PLuto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Zlin
    Posts
    6,287
    Like
    114
    Liked 1,253 Times in 611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Essaj View Post
    Of course you need to start somewhere else but driving many years in ERC etc won't get you anywhere. Even Pontus Tidemand WRC2 champion seems to struggle finding WRC seat for next year.
    Do you think that any team is legit even thinking about signing Kajto 3 time ERC champ over any successful WRC2 driver like Tidemand, Suninen, Camilli etc or any upcoming driver like Veiby or Rovanpera?
    Lower tier championships helps you to prove managers and sponsors to spend more money on to you but at the end of the day you need to be successful at world championship level to get backing for a team to sign you for a WRC season (or a lot of money) and it's fact.
    I can't see any ERC champ to steal WRC drive from WRC2 driver any day soon.

    Tell me a one reason why would anyone dreaming about WRC championship would drive ERC season over WRC2 one if they had a change to do one of them?
    To be WRC2 champion is almost same "nothing" like ERC champion in terms of finding WRC seat for next year. Jan Kopecky is one of the best drivers in WRC2 and didnt won the championship mainly because his team doesnt want, but he has almost same chances to get WRC seat like Kajetan. For teams is more important to show their speed and skills and it is not so important in which championship...

  14. Likes: pantealex (7th December 2017)
  15. #10
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,269
    Like
    882
    Liked 1,048 Times in 504 Posts
    We must also remember that Kopecky is 35 years old and has already been a WRC driver many years ago. Could it be that the teams are more interested in new talents for years to come?

    WRC2 or SWRC before that has brought Ott Tänak, Juho Hänninen, Craig Breen, Esapekka Lappi and Teemu Suninen into WRC seats. During the same years, ERC hasn't produced anyone to the WRC outside the drivers on that list.

  16. Likes: Essaj (7th December 2017),nafpaktos (7th December 2017),Rally Power (7th December 2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •