Liked 125 Times in 81 Posts

Snowman and Jim Clark rally Fatal Accident Inquiry and outcome

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/d...6.pdf?sfvrsn=0

As many will know there has been a high profile inquiry into two unfortunate fatal accidents that took place in Scotland a couple of years ago and which have had and will continue to have a major effect on UK rallying from now on.

The Sheriff has now published his report and it makes interesting reading. IMO we aren't seeing the end of the sport as we know it as some had predicted just really how people who would like to spectate are to be treated and what precautions will need to be put in place to protect some from themselves...

Liked 278 Times in 166 Posts
    Many of the suggestions are things that are already in place. It seems that the suggestion isn't that they need to stand spectators further back, just follow through on the stage set up to match the plan that's in place...and then adhere to the plan. I think that the marshal training should include how to talk to spectators to get the kind of response that you want. Also it should note the effect that a whistle and the shout of 'car', at GB there were marshals yelling at people to get off the stage, but many didn't speak English and actually the simple use of a whistle is a universal language within the sport.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Interesting that he notes:
    7.1 In forest rallies there should be discussion and cooperation between the
    organisers and the relevant forestry authorities in relation to the creation or marking
    of safe routes from one spectator viewing area to another, in order to reduce any
    perceived need to walk on the rally track.

This seems to be a real hot topic, but I'm not sure that walking along a stage is regularly an issue. Where incidents occur they seem to generally be at a corner that people are watching, not as they're walking the stage. Arguably anyone on a stage has a heightened awareness of danger, so will pay more attention.

Jaysus, just read down to see the photos attached. Annexe 8 is eye opening.

Seems that the sherrif was either well versed, or well taught, in the sport. Must admit that what I've read so far seems very reasoned and supportive of the sport and organisers.

Liked 397 Times in 231 Posts
    I always felt that any findings should only apply to Scotland......

However, will we see the MSA relax their 'seeding rules' brought in in 2015. I fear not, but they should; that was an over reaction.
    WRC: On the long way to Recovery............
    Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

It's interesting reading how a number of relatively small omissions could lead to such a big issue, certainly food for thought. However I'm mostly drawn to the fact that the spot on the Jim Clark looks like a crazy place to stand, regardless of what signage is or isn't in place.

M-Sport WRC Champions '17 Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Liked 3,507 Times in 1,892 Posts
    It was worrying to me that there were issues on WRGB 2017 with a stage being delayed and almost cancelled due to spectators in dangerous places and not obeying marshals.
    And this just weeks before this report was due, showing that the problems are still just as serious ...

Plus something else that I noticed was that marshals were stopping people standing in a dangerous place but a group of them were quite happy to stand there themselves, within feet of the passing cars !

Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 22nd November 2017 at 12:11.
    The Incurable Enthusiast