Page 195 of 237 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 2367
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis44 View Post
    Your comment does not make much sense, sorry.
    It did when I wrote it, but now not so sure, had to read it again what did I wrote.

I would say sound is a factor on the cars being extreme. The nº1 thing that stucks with friends I take to watch rallys is sound, after that speed, they are always impressed and excited by how loud some of the cars are.
    I'm sure You (and friend) do, and I completely understand it. That was not what my post was about. The promoter doesn't care for You and friends going to some event to enjoy the sound, they care for the number of online/TV viewers, hence the manufacturer interest, hence the investment in the sport, and so on, and so on.

The only real problem with the WRC nowadays is lack of competition and lack of diversity of nationalities, it is very hard to conquer all markets when you have only a french and a Belgium in the fight. Look what Hamilton has done to the popularity of F1 in the UK.
    I'm not sure where You're going from here, it looks like the problem is the lack of UK driver on top of the competition. Sorry, I'm far-far away from UK, can't tell. But for the "competitiveness" argument I have to disagree completely.

No matter how hard it is to manufacteurs and promoters, they will always have to catter to the hardcore fans also, after all it is them spending 1000 plus € to attend several events around the World
    In my point of view hardcore fan will always be such and go watch rallies, just because of the sport, not for some details. And I'm not sure how the sport promotion wins from being 500 people visiting each WRC event, or 500 000 people. For sure the host countries win from that, but there are already enough candidate events to be in WRC calendar.

My 2 cents, not pretending for 100% accuracy.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Anyway I think, like the WEC, WRC should be looking at alternative fuels, but not just electricity. WEC promoters know what excites the crowds, that is why we will soon maybe see some kind of hydrogen application on that championship.
    The WEC intends to use Hydrogen from 2024, but no one can be sure it’ll really happen. Actually, the 2020/24 rules are a step back on hybrid tech use because it became obvious the current WEC hybrid systems are too complex and expensive. From 4 manus in 2015 only Toyota is still in the series (mainly because they needed to win LM).

WEC example was certainly one of the reasons why current WRC manus warn the FIA about the risks of a sudden hi-tech hybrid or electric rally use. Hopefully we’ll end with some mild hybrid system that won’t hurt the nature of the sport and avoid manus to leave. Fingers crossed!
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    It did when I wrote it, but now not so sure, had to read it again what did I wrote.

I'm sure You (and friend) do, and I completely understand it. That was not what my post was about. The promoter doesn't care for You and friends going to some event to enjoy the sound, they care for the number of online/TV viewers, hence the manufacturer interest, hence the investment in the sport, and so on, and so on.

I'm not sure where You're going from here, it looks like the problem is the lack of UK driver on top of the competition. Sorry, I'm far-far away from UK, can't tell. But for the "competitiveness" argument I have to disagree completely.

In my point of view hardcore fan will always be such and go watch rallies, just because of the sport, not for some details. And I'm not sure how the sport promotion wins from being 500 people visiting each WRC event, or 500 000 people. For sure the host countries win from that, but there are already enough candidate events to be in WRC calendar.

My 2 cents, not pretending for 100% accuracy.
    No one is 100% accurate. This is why I like forums, we can exchange opinions and views freely.

My point about nationalities is not UK focused, what I was trying to say is that it is difficult to engage "casuals" around the World when they have no one to support, I hate to bring up football, but look how engaged "casuals" are when their country is qualified for the World Cup, after their country is out of the competition, they completely loose interest in it. Sorry if I was not so clear.

In the end the problem with WRC, and with any motorsport for that matter, is that is utterly difficult to sell it via TV, internet. Much of the appeal is lost on the screens.

Anyway I struggle to see how electric cars would help promoters bring more people to the sport, that would only help manus squeeze more money out of the table of CEO's for their programmes.

My point about nationalities is not UK focused, what I was trying to say is that it is difficult to engage "casuals" around the World when they have no one to support, I hate to bring up football, but look how engaged "casuals" are when their country is qualified for the World Cup, after their country is out of the competition, they completely loose interest in it. Sorry if I was not so clear.

In the end the problem with WRC, and with any motorsport for that matter, is that is utterly difficult to sell it via TV, internet. Much of the appeal is lost on the screens.

Anyway I struggle to see how electric cars would help promoters bring more people to the sport, that would only help manus squeeze more money out of the table of CEO's for their programmes.
    Since You bring the "national" side interest one of my points was, if there are more manufacturers interested to enter (let's say because technology rules change), that would be only good for the sport. There are people (like me), who would watch some race not only his fella countryman competes, but if his favorite car maker also competes, is interested in technologies part, etc. Probably those people are not many, but anyway my point was different - more manufacturers - more competition - more interest from different countries - more interest in the sport in general, despite we lose one of the most appealing aspects - the sound of the car. But how many are able to evaluate this if they are sitting at home in front of PC/TV and are not at the stages? - Almost no one, the promotion is not about that.

And if more manufacturers are interested in the sport, the more variety of drivers around the world we'll watch, I can assure of that.

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Since You bring the "national" side interest one of my points was, if there are more manufacturers interested to enter (let's say because technology rules change), that would be only good for the sport. There are people (like me), who would watch some race not only his fella countryman competes, but if his favorite car maker also competes, is interested in technologies part, etc. Probably those people are not many, but anyway my point was different - more manufacturers - more competition - more interest from different countries - more interest in the sport in general, despite we lose one of the most appealing aspects - the sound of the car. But how many are able to evaluate this if they are sitting at home in front of PC/TV and are not at the stages? - Almost no one, the promotion is not about that.

And if more manufacturers are interested in the sport, the more variety of drivers around the world we'll watch, I can assure of that.
    Then why not try Hybrid systems?! It would appeal both Worlds, and for the car market it is expected that Hybrids will be nº1 in all segments for a few years.

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    [...] but anyway my point was different - more manufacturers - more competition - more interest from different countries - more interest in the sport in general, despite we lose one of the most appealing aspects - the sound of the car. But how many are able to evaluate this if they are sitting at home in front of PC/TV and are not at the stages? - Almost no one, the promotion is not about that.
    Do you watch videos without sound?
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

7. Likes: Sub_Skoda (26th July 2018)
    Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    Then why not try Hybrid systems?! It would appeal both Worlds, and for the car market it is expected that Hybrids will be nº1 in all segments for a few years.
    I'm sure hybrid is the likely answer. Electric for power and promotion of the manufacturer tech... and a small petrol for noise, for the fans.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    While I totally sympathise about the possible loss of noise in future cars, Stefanvv is right re the 'noise' for the PC/TV viewer.

Even with the current cars you can hardly hear the engine, plus there is always a commentator talking over them....
    #M-SPORTER

10. Likes: A FONDO (29th July 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Type of general rhetoric question. My favorite tune is 2.3L 5-cyl straight with turbo. I like classical music, everything else is from mediocre to complete trash.
    Last edited by stefanvv; 24th July 2018 at 21:21.

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    Sound matters even when it's video. Why else was there so much talk about lack of F1 engine noise, when they changed the formula. Also now they apparently have microphones somewhere near the exhausts to get better sound for the broadcast.

Yes, sound doesn't play as big role as when being on the stage in person, but it is still significant.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.