Page 170 of 237 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 2367
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    The weirdest rumor to come out of my circle is that Toyota is interested in Meeke for 2019.
    Tommi Mäkinen has denied these rumors here https://www.hs.fi/urheilu/art-200000...6.html?ref=rss

2. Likes: pantealex (6th June 2018)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Well, he also denied Tänak-related rumors last year...although that decision was logical, unlike this.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    Well, he also denied Tänak-related rumors last year...although that decision was logical, unlike this.
    Hmm, I would need to check back some old articles but I remember him always giving a politician's answer like "of course we are interested in all fast drivers but we haven't decided anything yet" when asked about Tänak, and it was Tänak himself who denied it just weeks before announcing the deal on his blog. But here Mäkinen is more abruptly straight than usually saying that "Autosport's information is incorrect. Meeke is not coming to the team".

EDIT: Here's an example of that https://www.is.fi/ralli/art-2000005303339.html
    "– Tuollaiset kuljettajat ovat aina meidän ehdokaslistallamme. Kyllä meidän täytyy katsella voittajia, jos haluamme pärjätä, Mäkinen sanoi Tänakista"
    --> "That kind of drivers are always on our candidate list. We must look into winners if we want to do well, said Mäkinen about Tänak"

EDIT2: David Evans also wrote about Tänak rejecting Toyota, like he now wrote about Toyota being interested in Meeke https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...stay-at-msport
    Last edited by AnttiL; 6th June 2018 at 12:19.

5. Likes: pantealex (6th June 2018)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I'm quite surprised as well. I can't see whom he should replace? Obviously not Tanak. Compared with Latvala they are about the same, so don't see what's to gain.
    Well despite 'excessive amount of crashing' Meeke does have more points than Latvala this year in a car which is probably not as good as the Toyota.

But I don't see Tommi dropping a Finn for Meeke either..

7. Likes: pantealex (6th June 2018)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Exactly. That's why I dont see any point Citroen continuing in 2019 unless they go all out and sign Ogier.

But if he's happy at M-Sport then ...
    IF (strong if) Ogier is going to Citroen. Do you see any point of M-Sport continuing?
    M-Sport would also have only those "good second drivers but not rally winners"
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    IF (strong if) Ogier is going to Citroen. Do you see any point of M-Sport continuing?
    There is a difference though.

M-Sport is there to make money/living. Sure WRC is probably not where they make most, but they use knowledge/advertising from there to get money from other areas (R5 sales++).

Citroen sport is there to get publicity (which usually comes from good results, or from Loeb driving).

Liked 296 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    to me it sounds like it is exactly the point of M-Sport continuing. Haven't they always been there season after season despite lower lineup (Ostberg Camilli for exemple wasn't the dream team)?
    somehow I don't see them stopping any time soon

Liked 430 Times in 227 Posts
    M Sport didn't stop during 2014-2015, without sponsors and with minimal support from Ford. Do you really believe they will stop now?

Liked 9,337 Times in 4,957 Posts
    Yep, M-Sport is a rally/racing business and WRC is the place to be to promote the other cars they run and SELL (R5, R2's etc).

And anyway I dont see Ogier moving.

13. Likes: pantealex (6th June 2018)
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Well despite 'excessive amount of crashing' Meeke does have more points than Latvala this year in a car which is probably not as good as the Toyota.

But I don't see Tommi dropping a Finn for Meeke either..
    I don't see Kris going to Toyota either. From what I have read, sordo is not so keen on doing full season anymore.

Paddon might be interested in Citroen, if they are interested in him that would free up a slot at Hyundai for a possible half season. Think that would be Kris' only real opportunity.

As for the whole Meeke excessive amount of crashes statement, given he has scored in 4 out of 6 rallies, crashed because of co driver error, it is only really the Portugal incident this year. Kinda feel Citroen have over reacted. Go to any race track, and there are notices on display, stating that Motorsport is dangerous and death or serious injury can happen. These notices are aimed at spectators, as well as competitors.
    If Citroen are really that worried, they could pack in rally and go do the redbull soapbox series instead. May be a little safer

15. Likes: AndyRAC (6th June 2018),er88 (7th June 2018),gravelman (19th July 2018),KKS (6th June 2018)