Page 27 of 237 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Eurosport showed what is possible with some immersive multi-stage coverage. And that was almost eight years ago. It just comes down to money and desire.
    It also comes down to having an audience.

Quite many people both hear and on other sites refuse to pay anything at all for WRC+. (some saying it's not worth it). Some people even refuse to use the free codes for just about every rally cause "they would have to enter credit card"....

Sure you can turn the model around and say that everything will be free but the teams have to pay higher entry fees so fund the expenses.

-----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Rallye du Valais was October 2008, and the 2009 Monte was 3 months later; and the events that Eurosport covered live in the IRC are still the benchmark for live Rally coverage.
    What Red Bull do with their live Super Stage on the Saturday is very nice; but only 1 live 'free' stage simply isn't good enough in 2017 if you're trying to grow an audience. Rallying is up against other motorsport series who provide free streaming of their events. In an ideal world, there would be free coverage on each day of an event; 1 stage in the morning, and possibly repeated in the afternoon.

Personally, the coverage we now get from Red Bull is what I thought we'd get when they took over - it's taken them 5 years to provide the absolute minimum in regards to coverage.
    Not saying that the current coverage is all that good, but on all rallies there are at least 2 live stages, sometimes 3-4.

What I currently find quite stupid is that often they don't even give live coverage from all the Superspecials where you might need just a few cameras to cover everything and no helicopter.
    Last edited by mknight; 9th December 2017 at 00:59.

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    eurosport was great

3. Likes: sonnybobiche (10th December 2017)
    Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Ahhh, great memories from Rallye Monte Carlo by Eurosport. I remember when I was in their SNG car in the night on top of Col de Turini watching cars going on their monitor, when car was coming to that area I went out to see the car "live" and then returned back to the car watching the rest. Golden era of live coverage of special stages...

5. Likes: Aquagen (13th December 2017),HaCo (9th December 2017),pantealex (10th December 2017),RS (11th December 2017),TWRC (9th December 2017),WRC1 (9th December 2017)
    Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    2011 Monte Carlo had a ton of liver coverage and it was all available from their website later when I got home from work after listening to it at work. Getting any kind of TV coverage in the US via the internet was neigh impossible back then and Eurosport pulled it off. Probably forgetting to lock out North America figuring no one would be watching.
    Example: 2011 day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDEkMCKcyWk

Definitely the benchmark I have for live coverage, which admittedly is fairly small. The local redneck sports channel with dirt track sprints, motocross and tractor pulls will sometimes carry live WRC very early in the morning since we're eight hours behind and no one's awake to watch power boats crash on some reservoir in Arizona.

One more addition from 2011 Monte: out of close to nine hours live this hour and a half of the snow on day 2 (even with none of the seven helicopters that were covering the rally that year) is just the stuff of legend.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gm2...e2KbjDImIaWEg_
    Bouffier should have gone with diagonal studs rather than putting them both on the front.
    Last edited by Gregor-y; 10th December 2017 at 01:50.

7. Likes: sonnybobiche (10th December 2017)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada View Post
    That was also the time when nobody outside of Scandinavia cared about the 1000 Lakes Rally. A quick scan of the final results of 86 reveils that Malcolm Wilson was the only serious non-Finn or non-Swede on the entrylist.
    Yeah, great point! Where were Meeke and Neuville?!?

Liked 134 Times in 93 Posts
    About that live coverage. Last year was so much talk about it how it will be even better this year but my opinion is that it wasn't. Maybe because of channel here in my country.. Magazines wasn't on programme until first day almost passed - so on friday evening. Because of delayed stages they just cut live stages and move on to football instead!! Half of the stages wasn't played right on time but delayed a few hours (timing in different world areas) so I accidentaly knew results from Facebook... Then highlights from first and second day wasn't even on... Then thank god for RedBull TV. And again only one stage on saturday and that's it... Well I saw on Eurosport ERC some time ago they played almost 5 times per day. Here is just football all over again.. Well not everyone like some Chinese leagues. I don't know but I think that I critizice too much and maybe I should pay for WRC+ instead.

Liked 144 Times in 87 Posts
    Wel i think it got a lot better the last year's. 5 years ago there was no live stage in WRC, now we can watch 2 on sundaymorning. Thats also a good time to sit and watch some rally. Whit some friends or family, watch the short podium after power stage.
    We cant expect the whole rally going live do we?

Also Redbull tv is very good, thats bringing rally to a bigger public. Most of the guys i go to rally's whit are no die hards like us. there not going to sit to watch splits, or al lot of live stage's. But they sometimes do watch the redbul tv show, and are more up to date on things that way. I just think the die hard fanbase isn't big enough to justify more live stage's, well maybe 1 or 2 extra in the evening.

I had WRC+ for a wile, but now not anymore. If a rally is running, for me it is enough to have splits/stage/overal times, comments after finish, rally radio and than the forum here. When stage's are action packed thats a lot of fun to follow.

Regarding the idea of more shorter stage's, well i would be fine whit that as long as they leave the other stages the same. Make each loop one stage wider whit a short stage. Gives spectators also more options to plan there rally. (in 2004 rally Germany had 24 stages in 2016 they had 18..)
    I get the idea more raly's have less stages than ten years ago, so if they fill up there timing whit some shorter one's, i'm fine whit that.

11. Likes: AnttiL (9th December 2017),Rally Power (9th December 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Not saying that the current coverage is all that good, but on all rallies there are at least 2 live stages, sometimes 3-4.

What I currently find quite stupid is that often they don't even give live coverage from all the Superspecials where you might need just a few cameras to cover everything and no helicopter.
    I don't really mind, superspecials aren't that interesting, I'd rather invest that effort and money in a proper live stage. Which is probably what they did. It seems like towards the end of the season the Thursday super special was exchanged for a Sunday live stage (first run of the power stage)
    Last edited by AnttiL; 9th December 2017 at 08:31.

13. Likes: sonnybobiche (10th December 2017)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    For once, congrats to David Evans on the MN piece about Makinen/Mahonen 10 kms stages vision. Hearing that other manager’s are against the Finn’s view is great and Ciesla should take notice of it. He could also take notice of the overall opinion on this forum: WRC events individuality must be preserved.

Having PS televised, plus a proper recap of each leg (like RB is doing), always at the same time makes sense, but there’s no need for similar routes and schedules on all events.
    Rally addict since 1982

15. Likes: AndyRAC (10th December 2017),sonnybobiche (10th December 2017)
    Liked 650 Times in 312 Posts
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...t-short-stages

Interesting little line at the bottom now:

This story was updated on December 8 2017 to correct a misquoting of Jarmo Mahonen