Page 57 of 134 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
    Liked 106 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhlord View Post
    matton set to be head of the wrc.....

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...en-fia-994127/

on the one hand, having someone who has managed a team can be great for the wrc. On the other, you could argue he's not been that great at managing a team!
    lol

2. Likes: tomhlord (10th January 2018)
    M-Sport WRC Champions Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Liked 3,982 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    All stages, from all events.
    Hope so but we'll have to wait for official confirmation. European events I can believe but others might be harder to produce.

Liked 485 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhlord View Post
    Matton set to be head of the WRC.....

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...en-fia-994127/

On the one hand, having someone who has managed a team can be great for the WRC. On the other, you could argue he's not been that great at managing a team!
    pieces falling into place? Citroen "get rid" of Matton who screwed up their re-entry to WRC, Famin comes in and brings Loeb along.

Liked 1,409 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    pieces falling into place? Citroen "get rid" of Matton who screwed up their re-entry to WRC, Famin comes in and brings Loeb along.
    Farmin? He was lucky to save his neck after í15 Dakar flopÖbtw, arenít we being a bit unfair to Matton? Yep, he failed to manage Citroen í17 full return to WRC, but besides 2012 WRC titles and after Loebís departure, what more could a low budget Citroen realistically hope than being 2nd to VW, like they were in 13/14/15 (they missed í16)?

Besides, he was also behind Citroenís WTCC successful campaign and it was thanks to Matton that Meeke returned to the WRC, besides allowing two young drivers, Lefebvre and Breen, to start and carry on WRC careers.

If heís confirmed as FIA rally chief I believe heíll do better than Mahonen and wonít defend his predecessor (or the promoter) foolish proposals. Fingers crossed.
    Rally addict since 1982

6. Likes: dupanton (10th January 2018)
    Liked 485 Times in 189 Posts
    I didn't mean to judge Matton or put all blame on him; was just putting together some context for the rotation of positions. He has a fair share of blame for sure but I don't think it's all on him.

He's not a bad choice to replace Mahonen imo, from memory i don't think he had crazy ideas a la Capito, but we'll see.

8. Likes: Rally Power (9th January 2018)
    Liked 259 Times in 136 Posts
    Matton has flopped so badly in Citroen, that it's not even funny. He took an all conquering squad, which under his watch has turned into a laughing stock. From ousting Ogier, to not renewing Neuville for 4 events, then allienating Loeb, ignoring Meeke, his shortcomings are endless. As for WTCC, the rules were tailor made to Citroen, and on top of the best car , they also had the best drivers in Muller and Lopez. So, winning the championships there wasn't exactly a triumph of the outsider.

Liked 1,749 Times in 555 Posts
    Many may be sceptical, with the last year of CitroŽn Racing, although it's probably easy to point all failure to him. Even if he doesn't have any influence on the car itself, and even if Meeke himself asked to step back for Poland... I think Matton could be a great choice to run as rally manager for FIA. He used to drive himself as an amateur in the late 80's, early 90's. During the 90s he started a team offering cars for rent etc, and he founded the CitroŽn Rally Challenge in Belgium, which every rally enthousiast from Belgium remembers. It was a great competition for drivers with limited budget. Later he started at CitroŽn Racing and worked his way up. Alongside that he was running MY Racing where many young drivers got their chances to drive (like Neuville and Weijs). He knows the sport on all levels and has seen it from different points of view. He was also the one who countered the (stupid) ideas of Capito. If I'm not mistaken, Matton was also the one who wanted more freedom for organizers to create longer events (and to create or keep their own identity), a couple of years ago. So in my point of view, I think it wouldn't be a bad choice...

11. Likes: Adler (10th January 2018),AnttiL (10th January 2018),Jeppe (9th January 2018),KKS (9th January 2018),kure91 (12th January 2018),pantealex (10th January 2018),Rally Power (9th January 2018),Simmi (9th January 2018),sonnybobiche (11th January 2018),TWRC (9th January 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by macebig View Post
    Matton has flopped so badly in Citroen, that it's not even funny. He took an all conquering squad, which under his watch has turned into a laughing stock. From ousting Ogier, to not renewing Neuville for 4 events, then allienating Loeb, ignoring Meeke, his shortcomings are endless. As for WTCC, the rules were tailor made to Citroen, and on top of the best car , they also had the best drivers in Muller and Lopez. So, winning the championships there wasn't exactly a triumph of the outsider.
    I wonít say your recall is wrong, as time goes by and we all tend to forget things, but this is the way I remember: Ogier (still under Quesnel management) leaved at the end of 2011 because he wasnít happy about being Citroenís number two; Loeb leaved at the start of 2013 because he was tired from 10 full WRC seasons; Meeke was picked up by Matton in late 2013, when nobody cared about him; WRC budget suffered a huge bump after Citroen started to run WTCC (2014) and, like you say, Loeb was dispensed in last WTCC season because they decided to run just 2 cars and he was slower than Lopez/Muller. All considered I can only see one major flop in Mattonís path: 2017.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 8,336 Times in 3,851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    he was slower than Lopez/Muller.
    not from Muller.

Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    not from Muller.
    Quick check on wikipedia:
    2014: 1st Lopez (462 points/10 wins/7 poles)/ 2nd Muller (336/4/3)/ 3rd Loeb (295/3/0)
    2015: 1st Lopez (475/10/7)/ 2nd Muller (357/6/3)/ 3rd Loeb (356/4/1)
    Rally addict since 1982