Page 9 of 237 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Oliveira View Post
    With almost no rally experience, I dont see any sense of this step. Only big promotion (in first races)...

Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    With almost no rally experience, I dont see any sense of this step. Only big promotion (in first races)...
    Cheaper season, a lot more seat time, new experiences etc. I don't see why people on this forum are always so negative about everything.
    For me it sound like a great change for him and even if he hops back to WRX after one season he is still many experiences richer, so why not?
    Nitis has also done some rally events in Latvia and I wouldn't be too surprised if he continues to race more since WRX is becoming so expensive.

3. Likes: Maui J. (4th December 2017),Rally Power (1st December 2017),Sub_Skoda (29th November 2017),vino_93 (16th December 2017)
    Liked 1,504 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Essaj View Post
    I don't see why people on this forum are always so negative about everything.
    Yeah, it's same in rallying and rally-cross , need a car, need a driver so you can easily jump from cross to rallying yeah?

If he still continue to push his rivals as he do at WRX... I think he would have good experience when trees will push him back

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Mahonen saying current rallies are too long. I'm sure this will go down well: https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/ne...eing-too-long/

I can see his point about service to an extent. But he wants more, shorter stages, all based around a population zone with accommodation for the teams, guests etc. You can't have it all.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Mahonen saying current rallies are too long. I'm sure this will go down well: https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/ne...eing-too-long/

I can see his point about service to an extent. But he wants more, shorter stages, all based around a population zone with accommodation for the teams, guests etc. You can't have it all.
    Wales really did bend the rules about having really many stages with no service inbetween. Although, we still had probably less WRC retirements than in any other rally. Also, the long saturday loop with no service was compensated with just two night stages as the second loop. And like stated in the article, Wales didn't really utilize the service park well enough. And of course the long liaisons, we don't want that either.

All in all, he doesn't say the total length of special stages in a rally should be shortened, and that's what's most important to us.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 30th November 2017 at 10:15.

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    A few years ago the stages had to be longer, now they want them shorter again.. Rally needed to be brought to the people. Wales and Sweden are now being criticized for having not enough SS mileage compared to the total mileage. Well, they have it because they brought the rally to the people with their stupid super-special-stages (Karlstad and Cholmondely). Maybe it's not so bad Mahonen retires at the end of the year.

8. Likes: AL14 (4th December 2017),AndyRAC (30th November 2017),cali (30th November 2017),Eli (30th November 2017),leighton323 (1st December 2017),Mirek (30th November 2017),pantealex (30th November 2017),PLuto (30th November 2017),Rally Power (1st December 2017),Rallyper (30th November 2017),steve.mandzij (30th November 2017)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Mahonen saying current rallies are too long.
    Mahonen is one of the biggest jokes there's ever been in the sport. He tried his best to kill the national scene when he was running things in Finland back in the 90's and almost succeed in it. It's no wonder he has said something as idiotic as this (that the current rallies are too long). The less he's involved in any decisions, the better for the sport.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (30th November 2017),cali (30th November 2017),Eli (30th November 2017),Susiraja (30th November 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    It's no wonder he has said something as idiotic as this (that the current rallies are too long).
    He doesn't say that. David Evans just interprets his words. If anything, Mahonen is asking for things that were a given in rallying decades ago (short legs between services, short stages, short liaisons).

12. Likes: Allez Andruet (30th November 2017),Hartusvuori (30th November 2017),pantealex (30th November 2017),Susiraja (30th November 2017)
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Mahonen is one of the biggest jokes there's ever been in the sport. He tried his best to kill the national scene when he was running things in Finland back in the 90's and almost succeed in it. It's no wonder he has said something as idiotic as this (that the current rallies are too long). The less he's involved in any decisions, the better for the sport.
    Mahonen just lost vote for Finnish ASN's AKK Motorsport's chairmanship. Current chairman Juhani Pakari stays in the position. Vote was very close, 199-178, which means clearly that the motorsport field in Finland is divided into two camps. From what I've heard, Mahonen would've been the choice for rallying scene - if someone knows more, please tell. I can understand that for Finnish ASN Mahonen would've been understandable choice given his international contacts. I'm not saying I like him, but this isn't a popularity contest.

Considering Evans' article (what Colin Clark probably describes as a work of world class journo!) and things Mahonen brings forth there - it's the difficult question of how to please manufacturers (who pay for this), desirebly bigger light user service park goers (who pay for this) and consideribly big, but not easily growing heavy user special stage goers (who pay for this). We can't have all. We also can't have rallying as per pre-95 because that society isn't here anymore. We can't have more events without giving away something from the old. There's a lot of pressure involved, for decision makers like Mahonen especially. I think we all understand the different sides, but there isn't working standard solution for every event in the current format. My ideal is relatively close to what we have now.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

14. Likes: Allez Andruet (30th November 2017),AnttiL (30th November 2017),cali (30th November 2017),pantealex (30th November 2017),Simmi (30th November 2017),tommeke_B (30th November 2017)
    Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    I am really happy that Mahonen will go out. He is/was cancer for rallysport.

16. Likes: N.O.T (30th November 2017),RAS007 (5th December 2017),the sniper (1st December 2017)