Page 193 of 237 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2367
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    why will a manufacturer want to be part of such a series, especially if its also more expensive ?
    Manufacturers are interested in technologies, popularity and money. I don't think wrc will lose it's popularity much if technology changes. Besides there are quite a few manufacturers interested in these technologies. One lose, a few more win, and there is the compensation in the popularity. If the new rules attract let's say 7 manufacturers, I don't see why this is a bad thing, just like Gr. B adrenalin for manufacturers.
    Last edited by stefanvv; 21st July 2018 at 22:20.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 134 Times in 93 Posts
    The real word on this have ONLY the teams who are in game. Why VW and Smeets are big mouthed when they don't have the balls to enter the field again blaming the money when clearly they spend on shit like that siren on devil's mountain. They are behaving like they rule the FIA and WRC itself.. Chickens

Quote Originally Posted by ESTR View Post
    The real word on this have ONLY the teams who are in game. Why VW and Smeets are big mouthed when they don't have the balls to enter the field again blaming the money when clearly they spend on shit like that siren on devil's mountain.
    Company politics, simple. Times change. The only losers are the ones who stick with their "traditions".

4. Likes: AnttiL (22nd July 2018)
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    Manufacturers are interested in technologies, popularity and money. I don't think wrc will lose it's popularity much if technology changes. Besides there are quite a few manufacturers interested in these technologies. One lose, a few more win, and there is the compensation in the popularity. If the new rules attract let's say 7 manufacturers, I don't see why this is a bad thing, just like Gr. B adrenalin for manufacturers.
    Problem is that the current cars are only just attracting back the casual viewer to WRC, due to being more extreme. If they go to hybrid/electric I can see them losing them again. They dont care about us enthusiasts who will always watch, they want the mass market. Manufacturer's wont see any point in throwing money (and it could be more expensive than now) into a sport the general public doesnt watch.

And look at all the complaints about F1 since they lost the N/A cars and their noise...
    #M-SPORTER

6. Likes: sonnybobiche (24th July 2018)
    Problem is that the current cars are only just attracting back the casual viewer to WRC, due to being more extreme. If they go to hybrid/electric I can see them losing them again. They dont care about us enthusiasts who will always watch, they want the mass market. Manufacturer's wont see any point in throwing money (and it could be more expensive than now) into a sport the general public doesnt watch.
    You're mixing the things up - nobody watches WRC because of the noise (from casual spectators). They watch it because there is good competition, cars are fast, more extreme as You say, there are at least 3 manufacturers and 1 semi manufacturer, last but not least - the promotion is getting better and better every year.

Look back to Loeb era - nobody cared 1 French guy in a French team beats everybody around, with just 1 competitor manufacturer to oppose, even that didn't last long and Ford pulled the plug. In my country there was no interest whatsoever from local TV stations to broadcast WRC. Even I watched it only occasionally on Eurosport back then, just to see Loeb wins again. How will You attract new viewers with this? You can't. Now everything moves in the right direction, noise or not much noise I don't think cars will become slower and less spectacular. Add to this numerous manufacturers interest, and the formula is cooked.

And look at all the complaints about F1 since they lost the N/A cars and their noise...
    I'm not competent in f1 area, sorry.

8. Likes: steve.mandzij (22nd July 2018)
    Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    You're mixing the things up - nobody watches WRC because of the noise (from casual spectators). They watch it because there is good competition, cars are fast, more extreme as You say, there are at least 3 manufacturers and 1 semi manufacturer, last but not least - the promotion is getting better and better every year.
    The things that get the most reaction from rally spectators are spectacular driver commitment (driving on/over the limit) and the sound of the cars. Not talking about WRC specifically but rallying in general.

Exciting noise is important for the emotional involvement of spectators - just like a movie needs the right music and good sound effects to make an audience feel involved, so does motorsport. This is probably even more important for casual spectators than rally-geeks like us.

Close competition is important too of course and keeps people interested and following on tv/online over the whole season as well as going to their local rallies, but many spectators while they're watching in person don't care too much if a driver is a tenth or ten seconds faster than another as long as its exciting to watch and they feel close to the action.

I guess promotion is getting better with stuff like WRC+ for existing fans, but I don't know if they have done anything much for wider awareness and interest beyond the people who are already into rally?

10. Likes: Lead (23rd July 2018),Rally Power (24th July 2018),sonnybobiche (24th July 2018)
    Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I guess promotion is getting better with stuff like WRC+ for existing fans, but I don't know if they have done anything much for wider awareness and interest beyond the people who are already into rally?
    My gut feeling is that it hasn't.....(though I am talking from a UK perspective which may not be reliable). However, I still feel there needs to be more free Live action on RedBullTV; rather than just 1 stage on a Saturday.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

12. Likes: sonnybobiche (24th July 2018)
    Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    My gut feeling is that it hasn't.....(though I am talking from a UK perspective which may not be reliable). However, I still feel there needs to be more free Live action on RedBullTV; rather than just 1 stage on a Saturday.
    It needs to be on Free to view TV channel that people may stumble upon. Ending up on RedBullTV requires knowledge already.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

14. Likes: the sniper (24th July 2018)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    So far very quiet on driver moves and signings for 2019. Finland-Germany is where contracts usually get signed, so we should start hearing rumors soon.

16. Likes: AnttiL (24th July 2018)
    Liked 1,521 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    It needs to be on Free to view TV channel that people may stumble upon. Ending up on RedBullTV requires knowledge already.
    Absolutely agree!

Here in the UK, I think the WRC could really do with aiming for a slot on BBC2 in the mid/late afternoon on the Saturday following each rally. Being on the BBC legitimises the sport as important and also has side benefits of getting you featured more prominently on the BBC website under sports news and VOD/Iplayer. The press also pay more attention to stuff on the BBC. You only have to look at the effect BBC coverage has had on UK interest in NFL/Superbowl to see how effective this would be. The time delay doesn't really matter to the mainstream/casual audience you'd attract in that spot, and you'd still have daily highlights on the likes on BT Sport and live on WRC+. As part of the deal you could have daily highlights and live stages on BBC2 for Rally GB only, which would be monumental exposure. This is similar to the level of coverage the BBC have offered Rally GB and the WRC in the past. If offered a cheap/free package, I can't see that the BBC would turn it down, unless they're completely dominated now by 'social responsibility' precluding any new Motorsport coverage (they still just about produce Top Gear though, so there's some hope).
    Last edited by the sniper; 24th July 2018 at 10:18.

18. Likes: AndyRAC (25th July 2018),NickRally (24th July 2018)